Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason I couldn't allow the next player to play the opportunity to look at one card from each deck for each card selected by the current player while the current player is playing their turn? For example, if 3 cards are drawn from the contract row, the next player gets to look at the next 3 cards from the contract decks while the current player is playing. This would allow the current player the opportunity to better plan their turn, and would, at the very least, eliminate some time spent on reading the new cards.

There are a few shortcomings to this approach that I can see, but I think they can be mitigated. First, if the end of deck cards show up in the preview, I think the next player is just out of luck and won't get to see cards from the next deck. This would avoid giving the current player information about what is to happen. Also, if an event shows up in the preview cards, the next player wouldn't be allowed to draw an extra. I'm OK with this, however, as it's still better than nothing.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Christie
United States
Pembroke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am toying with making a "scrabble" type tray that matches the dimensions of the card tracks. I am thinking that if cards are "upright" like the scrabble letter tiles, then players awaiting their turns would have a better chance to see the less visible benefits and effects of the cards. If this works, you won't have to make any rule changes to account for previewing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not?

Simple way to do this is, is to place the single face up top card of the deck in the dedicated box, and give the deck to next player. When active player takes a card, he may peek at the top card. Active player takes two cards, he may check the top two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all not everyone is honest and might be
tempted to swap positions so the card desired would
be 1 or more AP less. If you are focusing on your
current options who is to watch everyone messing with
the deck.

The card holder would be a more viable option for everyone
should you feel you had to preview cards. This way they
remain in order drawn.

Secondly, that would really take away from the game.
More like cheating. If you spy an event or bldg coming
that may affect the Active Player and next players
decisions and or actions it would allow them to sandbag
a turn or splurge to avoid/acheive an upcoming event/scoring
action.

If I am understanding the question the way you intended,
it sounds like a bad idea for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4x scalper wrote:
First of all not everyone is honest and might be
tempted to swap positions so the card desired would
be 1 or more AP less. If you are focusing on your
current options who is to watch everyone messing with
the deck.

The solution to this one is simple. Don't play with cheaters.

4x scalper wrote:
Secondly, that would really take away from the game.
More like cheating. If you spy an event or bldg coming
that may affect the Active Player and next players
decisions and or actions it would allow them to sandbag
a turn or splurge to avoid/acheive an upcoming event/scoring
action.

I think that the proposal where a player would peek at cards unseen would not result in the problem that you describe since the next player would only be able to see a card if the current player took a card. I don't think that this is a good suggestion for other reasons, for example many times a player will take a card and then decide to put it back after reading it closely.

The tray to prop current cards does sound like a good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players can't "put back" cards. If the current player selected two cards from the contract row, then TWO cards will be drawn for next turn. Why do you think the NEXT player can avoid it by putting it back? It comes out automatically no matter what on next turn. And how could a player splurge on an event they've previewed before their turn even starts?

I think people are misunderstanding my idea. The concept is that the next player can't do anything on their turn at all, so why not let them think ahead to speed up the game? They only get to look at cards that will become available the next round; I don't see how that can be abused in any way other than bluffing with the current player.

As far as players changing card order, I don't play with anyone that would cheat not care enough about winning games to mess with card order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Christie
United States
Pembroke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE
I just purchased four plastic card trays from a medical supply house (@ $9 each plus ship). Looks like with some minor adjusting such as stickers for AP cost, these may do the trick. I will follow up after a game or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.