BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Reviews are automatically moderated now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
I wrote a short review of the Norwegian edition of Forbidden Island, talking only about the differences from the English edition (translation quality, rules ambiguities, small touches like the emboss on the box etc.)

I'm not happy with geekmod, it's one of my main objection to BGG (well, that and the things we aren't allowed to talk about). Because of these issues, I've resolved to no longer contribute anything to BGG that would warrant participation in the geekgold metagame. Well, I could stretch it this time I thought, since it was such a short review, and I wanted to post public feedback somewhere the Norwegian publisher would find it. I just didn't cross the "this is a good post" box.

So to put it mildly, I was not very happy when I found out my post had been sent to the little soup nazis hanging at geekmod and rejected. I thought the point of the "this is a good post" box was to opt out of all that tripe?

I am not resubmitting that article (to BGG - I learned about a competitor today that deserves a try, at least). I'm now even more convinced that the thing which makes BGG great, the user contributions, is something BGG gets for free that it does not deserve.

But admins, if you care at all, take this as a suggestion to fix geekmod so that

1. it doesn't give rewards

2. and absolutely not asymmetric rewards that encourage rejecting as much as possible

3. It should also be randomly assigned (so not the same self-important jerks sit there all day long).

4. It should be possible to opt out by not asking for GG rewards, as I tried to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
It's laughable to suggest geekmod rejects more things that should have been approved than it approves things that should have been rejected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The much simpler solution is to write better reviews/session reports.

I don't know why yours was rejected, but its safe to assume that the Geekmodders found its length or content to be of low quality in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OLeary
United States
Roosevelt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more interested in hearing about the "the things we aren't allowed to talk about". But if we aren't allowed to talk about them then I guess I never will. Catch-22!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
I'm not happy with geekmod, it's one of my main objection to BGG (well, that and the things we aren't allowed to talk about). Because of these issues, I've resolved to no longer contribute anything to BGG that would warrant participation in the geekgold metagame. Well, I could stretch it this time I thought, since it was such a short review, and I wanted to post public feedback somewhere the Norwegian publisher would find it. I just didn't cross the "this is a good post" box.

So to put it mildly, I was not very happy when I found out my post had been sent to the little soup nazis hanging at geekmod and rejected. I thought the point of the "this is a good post" box was to opt out of all that tripe?

If you posted in the review forum, your post would have been modded regardless of that tick box; everything in those forums gets modded (ditto for sessions).

The "good post" tick box is to send something through GeekMod when it wouldn't normally be modded (e.g. a post in the general forums); it's an opt-in, not an opt-out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
ejtracer wrote:

I don't know why yours was rejected, but its safe to assume that the Geekmodders found its length or content to be of low quality in some way.

There can't possibly be anything wrong with the system, in other words. Are you trying to be funny?

Did you also miss the fact that I didn't want any GG for it? If I had known the "this is a good post" checkbox would be ignored for reviews, I might have posted it under "general" instead. There's absolutely no reason to censor a post like mine that doesn't ask for GG, any more than there is a need to submit chit chat posts to geekmod.

Also: The idea that the tiny minority of users dominating geekmod could be unrepresentative of what the users at large would like to see, or could be influenced by the bonus for rejecting content, is so impossible to contemplate? Judging by your short time at BGG, you probably aren't aware of the many super-contributors who have left because they were fed up with moderation (among them some highly popular reviewers and skilled photographers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
col_w wrote:

The "good post" tick box is to send something through GeekMod when it wouldn't normally be modded (e.g. a post in the general forums); it's an opt-in, not an opt-out.

Well, so it seems. This is an interface bug then, the checkbox shouldn't be there for session reports and reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:

vintermann wrote:
There can't possibly be anything wrong with the system, in other words. Are you trying to be funny?

I have no sense of humor that I'm aware of.

vintermann wrote:
Did you also miss the fact that I didn't want any GG for it? If I had known the "this is a good post" checkbox would be ignored for reviews, I might have posted it under "general" instead. There's absolutely no reason to censor a post like mine that doesn't ask for GG, any more than there is a need to submit chit chat posts to geekmod.

You think "There's absolutely no reason.", and yet at least 3 other people disagreed with you. You might find it more productive to ask why that might be, as oppose to posting some serious hate towards a large group of users in general. As I suggested, it may having something to do with "quality".

vintermann wrote:
Also: The idea that the tiny minority of users dominating geekmod could be unrepresentative of what the users at large would like to see, or could be influenced by the bonus for rejecting content, is so impossible to contemplate? Judging by your short time at BGG, you probably aren't aware of the many super-contributors who have left because they were fed up with moderation (among them some highly popular reviewers and skilled photographers).

Your judgment is reasonably open to being questioned based on this thread and accompanying comments. Also, many users lurk for long periods of time before finally opting to create an account, sometimes even for years. You might be surprised at what they know and what you don't know they know.

Anyway, best of luck should you decide to contribute in a less negative way in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
..snip...
There's absolutely no reason to censor a post like mine that doesn't ask for GG, any more than there is a need to submit chit chat posts to geekmod.
...snip...

This is not censorship. This is user error. Your error in not understanding the interface. Post it again in the general forum. You can post anything there, with no geek modding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked out your submission, and have to agree it wasn't really a review. It's best posted under the general forums for Forbidden Island (which wouldn't be modded). So, it appears the modders did exactly what they were supposed to do in this case. You posted to the wrong place, so they rejected it. This doesn't mean the content you wrote was poor, it just means it was misplaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaints
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The root issue is not geekmod it is the interface design. There should be a notice (much like the one saying not to post a video review) that says reviews and sessions go through geekmod at the time of creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you, admin one and admin two. I'll just go delete a couple of my previous submissions in honor of your wise judgement. I'm sure they're not worthy of your precious site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
Thank you, admin one and admin two. I'll just go delete a couple of my previous submissions in honor of your wise judgement. I'm sure they're not worthy of your precious site.

I'm not sure if there's a language barrier issue here, but you seem determined to take everything the wrong way; both admins were providing helpful responses to your post. Chaddyboy said you'd posted in the wrong place to achieve your goal from the original post (no modding), and explicitly said it did not mean the content was poor quality. Jmilum qualified that the reason you'd posted in the wrong place was because of a bad bit of site design - i.e. agreeing with you - and yet you respond with this comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he's one of those super-contributors whose individual preferences must be second-guessed by the policy-setters lest they take their super-contributions and leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
vintermann wrote:

I'm not sure if there's a language barrier issue here, but you seem determined to take everything the wrong way; both admins were providing helpful responses to your post. Chaddyboy said you'd posted in the wrong place to achieve your goal from the original post (no modding), and explicitly said it did not mean the content was poor quality. Jmilum qualified that the reason you'd posted in the wrong place was because of a bad bit of site design - i.e. agreeing with you - and yet you respond with this comment.

Your attempt at reason is admirable, but in situations such as this, the unfortunate reality is that no amount of common sense will sway the target, as their opinion is so radically different from your own, no compromise is possible.

Ultimately, if they are not enjoying their time here on the site, then why should we endeavor to keep them here? Best to just say "Good Luck!", smile, and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Kaffedrake wrote:
Maybe he's one of those super-contributors whose individual preferences must be second-guessed by the policy-setters lest they take their super-contributions and leave.

No, like most contributors, I made contributions mostly to a very narrow part of the site (abstract session reports). Most BGG users do not care about abstract session reports with move lists, but the same could be said of painted miniature shots, wargame strategy articles, or most other types of contributions. 90% of BGG is uninterested in 90% of the content.

This is one of the things which makes the "reject" button so easy to click for the jerks who hang around in geekmod all day, especially since they get extra GG for it.

You won't know what you miss until one of the contributors to your niches packs up and leaves, because the CJ-ery is pushed to the front page, while complaints such as these are quickly banished. But rest assured, it will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
You won't know what you miss until one of the contributors to your niches packs up and leaves, because the CJ-ery is pushed to the front page, while complaints such as these are quickly banished. But rest assured, it will happen.

If some contributor I appreciate packs up and leaves after some incident like this, I'll probably be thinking they're very silly, not that I should have listened to the old gyspy woman crowing doom and now I'm paying the price. I think you have failed to acknowledge that the only way in which geekmods are jerks is that they sit all day and approve underexposed, blurry, uncropped, redundant images. I'd threaten to take my contributions and leave if I see another set of 64 murky captionless gameplay shots being approved in full, but I don't actually think it would be rational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is quite entertaining. Thanks for your contribution Harald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.