Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I want to pick up a card game.

It will get its playtime divided 60% 2-player games and 40% multiplayer.
It will be played both by people who play games only occasionally and others more frequently.
There is skill in the players, but mostly not an interest in very long or overly complex games.
Players enjoy interfering in each others goals.

I've been looking at a few games, but haven't made up my mind yet:
1) Race for the Galaxy
2) 7 Wonders
3) Dominion

I'm just looking for one game, don't want to collapse the game-chest at home.

Any suggestions? That would be most appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those are particularly interactive, and at least Race and Dominion will be a runaway session by the experienced players over those who only come to game occasionally. Poor choices, all.

Glory to Rome is a better fit in a similar genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glory to Rome is an excellent game. Dirt cheep too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend 7 Wonders for 2 players.

Race for the Galaxy has a bigger learning curve, and a little more complexity than Dominion, but both are good for 2-6 players, with appropriate expansions for more than 4.

I agree with the recommendation for Glory to Rome, especially if you want more player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would exclude 7 Wonders because it does not play terribly well with 2 players.

I would exclude Race for the Galaxy becasue many people complain about its complexity.

Dominion is a great choice for all of your criteria. I have not played it but I think Glory to Rome is also a solid choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for the thread heading. I think you are on to a a winning game title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race is pretty good with 2. Fleet is great with 2, but its not out yet... (Coming soon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
None of those are particularly interactive, and at least Race and Dominion will be a runaway session by the experienced players over those who only come to game occasionally. Poor choices, all.

Glory to Rome is a better fit in a similar genre.

Gotta agree with this, and I'm not sure why folks are recommending any of the games in the OP. 7 Wonders is weak for 2, and none of them are big on interfering with other players' goals. Yes, there are Attack cards in Dominion, but these provide for more of a general "annoy other players while they do whatever they are doing" feel than direct interference. With Glory to Rome, you actually pay attention to what other players are doing. Coming in at an hour, it might be a little long for you, but it's a solid choice for your other criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice van Valen
Netherlands
Breda
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been reading into GtR since it was suggested, I'm getting warmed up for it devil

This will be a good contender for my next €€€, but keep up with the suggestions!

BTW: if I ever go into the game design business, this forum title will get a shot at inspiring a game...

EDIT: Thinking about merging game-titles, I put up a geek-list for those of you who are getting creative in merging other titles. Feel free to take a look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/99347/game-title-merge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule out Race as it takes a lot of effort to learn and really is not suitable for the casual gamer. 7 Wonders and Dominion both satisfy your criteria pretty well. Dominion is more interactive than 7 Wonders.

I have to disagree that 7 Wonders is not good with 2 players. I think there's a strong argument that it's best with 2 as there's more control and decisions to be made.

I put Glory to Rome in the same category as Race: takes a lot of effort to learn and is not suitable for the casual gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I'll second (or third, or whatever) the plug for Glory to Rome, but you might also consider Innovation, and even the Catan Card Game (at least the older one, dunno about the "remake")...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, you seem focused on those three, maybe because of their ranking?

7 Wonders worked terribly for us with two and has pretty little interference.

I simply do not like Dominion so cannot fairly say. It doesn't play poorly with two, but there's not a *whole* lot of interference.

Race for the Galaxy is fine, but I don't know if it'll fit your requirements. The interaction isn't of the "interfering" kind but more of the "piggybacking" kind. Iconography can be complex and strategies really take several plays to emerge.

Glory to Rome, I agree, would be a good fit. Citadels is a game that plays well with two and with, maybe three or four. With many more the game can drag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Glory to Rome, and I'll also suggest Innovation, by the same designer. It's good with two players, and though more chaotic with more, it still works. Especially if you like interfering with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those three, Dominion best meets your criteria, minus the bit about interfering with others. That's present (moreso with the expansions than the base set) but it's a minor part of gameplay.

I'd like to throw out San Juan as a recommendation as an alternate to Race. RFTG may be a little too complex for your occasional gamer friends, and many people have trouble with the learning curve / icons on the cards.

7 Wonders can be played with 2 players, but it's far better with 4+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is a great fit for your criteria, as long as you like bluffing and trying to read eachothers minds.

Cheap, and most sets include the expansion.

My wife and I quite enjoy the 2 player version of 7 Wonders. It's a little awkward at first, but you have greater control of your civ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
Citadels is a great fit for your criteria, as long as you like bluffing and trying to read eachothers minds.

Cheap, and most sets include the expansion.

My wife and I quite enjoy the 2 player version of 7 Wonders. It's a little awkward at first, but you have greater control of your civ.

This.

I was just about to suggest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
I'd like to throw out San Juan as a recommendation as an alternate to Race.

That's a great recommendation. The interaction is much more obvious than in Race.

Glory to Rome is an OK choice, but it's less polished than any of the other recommendations.

You might take a look at GOSU, though a sizable contingent don't care for it multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the 2p variant but Bohnanza could work. The heavy trading aspect definitely has an affect on the other players either by helping both you and them or denying them a trade that could be detrimental to their next turn.

In the multiplayer spot, BANG! could also work if you're not looking for a heavy strategy. Another game that I enjoy with a bunch of players is Saboteur but I highly suggest getting the expansion too.

I would almost say find 2 games that have a lower price point and get both to settle the different player number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion (gt intrigue if you get only one). It has more replay value and if you decide to invest further in the game there are options for doing that but it is not necessary in order to have fun. I really enjoy 7 Wonders but with just 10 or so plays I its already loosing some appeal. I didn't care for RftG and haven't tried GtR. Dominion is very addictive and I have played it tons and tons without it loosing the fun factor or getting tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Dominion is the best choice, by far the easiest to explain and a lot of replay-ability.

Glory to Rome, while good, is a lot longer (usually) and needs a lot longer explanation.

7 wonders has the least amount or variability, and RFTG is my fave but you need to play at least 2 or 3 times to 'get' it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion would be my choice because it can play a good range of gaming experience well. Just realize you will need multiple expansions to get the best experience of replayability in the long run (ie, it is deceptively expensive).

Glory to Rome is a fantastic game, but it is not a good game for inexperienced gamers. It can confuse and frustrate easily on the first few games. It delivers more bang for your dollar (and storage space), however, and there are no expansions (although there are promo cards coming). If you got two games, this would be the second one I would recommend.

Race for the Galaxy also has a (deserved) reputation of not being good for light gamers. Race, like Dominion, will desire expansions. San Juan is a better choice for light gamers. You could get both.The replayability on Race is high.

7 wonders is good, not great. It is unmatched for playing quickly at 7 players with limited downtime. It does not have the replayability of the other games, and it is not as engaging as the others. I would not choose this for a 2 player game if any of the above were available instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own both Dominion and 7 Wonders.. love both. But 7 wonders really doesn't start to shine until you have 4+ players. Dominion plays well anywhere from 2 to 4.

now about Dominion. I would actually grab Dominion:Intrigue first. it is a completely self contained game unto itself, that is also an expansion to the base game. The reason i suggest this... it has more attack cards which add some player interaction. It is not as simplistic as the base game so a bit more interesting on it's own.

Then, if you like it... you have the option of buying the Big Box without duplicating cards. The big box comes with the base games and 2 expansion... but not with Intrigue. So if you go this route you technically then have the base game and 3 expansions with no duplicates, and enough cards to run 6 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Carcassonne: the Castle?

edit: I guess that is only two player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Race is pretty good with 2. Fleet is great with 2, but its not out yet... (Coming soon)

What is Fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.