Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read, the Collector's Edition came with a 30% larger map.

I understand that they cannot re-release a new Collector's Edition due to the effort with the painted figures, but I don't think there's any major barrier to re-releasing a CE-sized map as a separate purchase.

Why would you want such a thing? Well, first it's a step towards pimping out your set. Second, it will allow you to use the sculpted towers, Mt. Doom, etc... that people are making for the game which are sized for that set. The painting I can handle myself given sufficient time.

I realize this is probably a very niche product, but no harm in asking I suppose.

If there are no official plans to do such a thing, is there any good way for us to print good looking upsized maps ourselves for personal use? If anyone's tried it, how much did it cost and how did you do it? I've got access to a friendly printers, but I'm unsure what to ask them to print it on and where to get a sufficiently high resolution image to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Since the 2nd edition figures are nearly a whole millimeter taller than their 1st editon predecessors, I would say this is an essential purchase.

Actually, I struggle to cope with the board as it is, so I wouldn't want it any bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested. I'd like to get my hands on a bigger board for sure!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like both the larger map and figures that are just color coded by race instead of all one color for free peoples and another for the shadow races.

I know I can supposedly spray paint them somehow, but have several reasons why this sucks.

1. The plastic is funky. It's too soft and I am afraid spray paint will damage it somehow.
2. Spray painting things with small details is tricky without turning them into blobs.
3. The painted minis will probably either be sticky or the paint will chip. I have noticed without clear coats, things tend to chip, with them, they are sticky.

I would almost rather figure out a way to copy my mini's and make a second set out of harder plastic and color coded, but I think that is way out of my league (considering I doubt my ability to even paint some minis).

The best solution would be if the company creates minis out of better plastic (label it 14+ This is not a toy, etc... to shut up the consumer protection groups) and color coded by race. I doubt it will happen, but I can always hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ngo
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I too am very interested in CE sized board! I am new to the 2 ed and loving every game! Its already given me hours of entertainment which can only get better with a bigger board. I would suggest offering a new board exclusively through the Ares Game eshop to keep costs down- the same way Munchkin exclusives are sold only through SJ Game's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Grandahl
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll certainly buy the Jumbomap, promise

Actually, earlier, there has been serious talk about producing a Jumbomap, or was I hallucinating ?

Kasper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dahl wrote:
Actually, earlier, there has been serious talk about producing a Jumbomap, or was I hallucinating ?

The larger map exists, it is part of the Collector's Edition, and is 88 x 128 centimeters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Grandahl
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Dahl wrote:

The larger map exists, it is part of the Collector's Edition, and is 88 x 128 centimeters.

Yes, there's the CE map, but I meant a Jumbomap only product. Perhaps it was all in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, someone pulled this of at GenCon in 2005:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah.... That's what I'm talking about now

Now let me see, how much cost and effort is it going to be to do a map that big, select and paint 28mm figs for all the models in the game, and then sculpt/build the required towers, mountains, etc... for a super-collector's edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The new figures are definately softer, but is this because my FE figures are older; also are the old figures smaller because they shrink with age?

If you need a bigger board, why not just scan the official one and then print it out at whatever size best fits your needs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichol
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Oh yeah.... That's what I'm talking about now

Now let me see, how much cost and effort is it going to be to do a map that big, select and paint 28mm figs for all the models in the game, and then sculpt/build the required towers, mountains, etc... for a super-collector's edition?

Haha, that's the spirit!!

I decided to pimp my friends game with a full set of sculpted strongholds... "shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks" I thought... Hmmm... Two months on and I'm still slogging away. Only 3 to go but the perfectionist in me is eyeing up my early attempts and making me feel like I want to go back and improve on them.. (nooooooo!!!). Everything always takes longer than you think I guess... but it makes the end result all the sweeter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One big problem is the models. GW makes LOTR figures, but the elites would be way out of scale. Their normal troops are on I think 25mm round bases, but the mumaks are on more like a CD-size.

I could think about using other models, but then people are sure to complain that they aren't LOTR. For instance, I could probably field enough Warmachine figures to cover most of the armies right now but they won't look like they're part of that setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.