Subject: Dike Road rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There ia a +1 modifier for firing over a Dike Road. Does it apply to Mortars and Artillery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortars and Artillery (most of the time) are indirect fire. If you are crouching next to a dike and a mortar or artillery round hits on your side of the dike (in your hex) you get the full effect. A dike road is elevated linear cover just like a wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Tom is right. Just like the previous sentence that gives a +2 modifier for those in the same hex as a dike road, the +1 modifier for firing across a dike road is for non-mortar/non-artillery fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Scenario 12, Foxholes can be placed on the Dike Road. Are they placed on one side of the road, or in the middle, or does the player have a choice?

If the answer is 'the middle' then obviously other questions arise like: do units on the side of the road benefit from them; does a unit in a Foxhole have to take Open Ground penalties before it can start moving along the side of the Dike Road, etc..

Presumably Dike Road hexes can lead to unusual situations like:

a) Units on opposite sides of the road in Melee.

b) Units moving along one side of the Dike Road but claiming the road movement rate.

Not complainin', just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the foxholes on the dike road cause some wonky situations. For simplicity sake, when designing this scenario, I decided that foxholes would apply to the whole hex. This avoids most of the wonkiness even if it isn't 100% realistic in the context of this particular scenario.

So, no, you don't need to take a moving in the open penalty to get in the foxholes in the hex.

Yes, units on opposite sides of the road are in melee if in the same hex. That is really close and they will be lobbing hand grenades at each other!

Yes, they would still get the road movement rate - not that it comes up in this scenario - because they would be moving along the graded part of the road on the side where it is built up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Rzymkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions on the subject:
1) Do units in the dike road hex fireing accross the dike get the +1 firepower penalty?
2) Is the +1 fireing-accros-the-dike-penalty cummulative? That is - is fireing accross two dike roads +2? Is fireing accross a dike road at a unit in another dike road hex behind the road a +3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Do units in the dike road hex fireing accross the dike get the +1 firepower penalty?

No

Quote:
2) Is the +1 fireing-accros-the-dike-penalty cummulative? That is - is fireing accross two dike roads +2? Is fireing accross a dike road at a unit in another dike road hex behind the road a +3?

It would be cumulative, but I don't believe it will ever really happen in the current game scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.