Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel right about this game rule about the setup of random technology:

"Put the Technology Tiles in the bag and shuffle them. Draw
random Technology Tiles (according to the number of players) from
the bag and set them on their spots [4] on the Research Tracks. Set
similar tiles on top of each other."

If there're 3 player on game, As the rules written, I have to draw 14 tech tiles then place the similar tiles on the top.

Why not draw only 14 tiles without placing the similar tiles on the top. During the game, i would draw 6 tiles at cleanup phase. That will less technology available and players have to change strategic plans more often if someone get the most wanted tech first. In the end of game, there will 28 tech tiles left in the bag.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is quiet a discussion about the technology draw here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743522/modification-of-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like fewer technologies with fewer players. It forces you to make some tougher choices, which is exactly what Eclipse needs more of. After a few games, you'll notice that it's pretty much the same game. (Do a little bit of everything and come out on top.) However, with fewer technologies each 3p game is very, very different. Some games monoliths come out and everyone grabs them. Some games they don't. Some games there aren't any star bases at all. Some games don't have any orbitals what so ever. I like this. More variety means longer lasting power. I'm already slightly worried about Eclipse's lasting power as every game you're pretty much doing the same thing. It's hella fun, but I am worried about it feeling samey after a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree I like the random draw element. This forcess people to adjust their strategies constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i do like random draw element. but i dont like to draw the setup tiles then search the similar tiles to place on the top. So that's why i was stating "without".

I always setup of the game every time, my friends are lazy to do it, since the game is mine, i havt to do the seup of map tiles, tokens, wooden cubes, etc...
At least they help to arrange the game to the box.

For me no more time consuming on ship parts since a got a box with 18 compartiments. Placed them exactly as the supply board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you may be interpreting the set up wrong.

In your 3 player setup, are you drawing 14 tiles, then fishing out similar tiles of each type drawn and placing them on top (hence more than 14 drawn initially) ?

You only need to draw 14 total, and if there are similar tiles among the 14, do you place those on top of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Agggggggg Ninja'd

I think you may be misunderstanding. You don't go into the bag and get all the similar tiles of the types you've drawn. It means when you draw them out, if you get lets say 2 advanced labs techs that you stack them on the adv lab spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, I misunderstanding.

My bad, thanks for solving... I will have to play this again in the right way.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only imagine how fiddly and tedious of a time you had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! That would have made the game quite fiddly. Yikes.

Don't feel too bad, it's not worse than my very first game, when I thought you could only put out your disks on empty systems by using the Influence action. You would not beleive how little you get done in a game playing that way. . . blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
To be frank the phrasing of the technology tiles setup confused me too. I thought I had to randomly draw certain tech out of the 24 different available (from a bag containing only the 24 different) then i would have to pull the corresponding other tiles from a reserve to populate the ressource board.
when playing our first 2 players game and drawing new techs from the bag quickly it made no sense as by round 4 there was no more tech in the bag and I was like huh ......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I supposed it could say, 'If you draw similar tiles, place them on top of each other.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.