Dust Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: PLaying time too low? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
snowdrop drop
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
What is your experience of the average playing time with a non-epicly sized army, say a casual mission around 160 army points or so?

I just noticed it says 30 min here on the site and I think it's a tad too low. Sure, it can easily be played in 30 min but do people really play that quick, or am I just the slowest around? I'd set those 30 to 40 - 45 instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust plays - and feels - like a fast game to me. I quite like that, and it's easy to play a scenario a couple of times to get a feel for its intricities.

I think the first 2-3 rounds of careful positioning take the longest, followed by quick attacks when someone strays into the line of fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek L
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It takes me aobut 30-40 minutes to finish most scenarios from the first campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junlins caanil
Philippines
flag msg tools
mb
Based on experience, the first scenario of the original set takes about 30 mins but the rest (160 VP) usually last more than an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, about 40min for Blue Thunder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game took about 10 minutes. Then we figured out how cover works. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
we dont play the scenarios much here , but the first week the game came out halloween before last , i did a week of demos at my FLGS , using the scenarios as a teaching tool . i had 30 some people play 40 some games .

most of the games were the first scenario "recon" , but for those that had the time to play more than one game , we would try other scenarios in the book .

keep in mind that a demo game usually takes longer than a standard straight up game , and especially when i demoed DUST TACTICS , as i wanted to make sure to have the player experience each rule situation in the book ( cover , close combat , etc..) so that by the end of the demo they knew all the rules there were to the game at the time .

the longest demo took 50 minutes . the shortests was only 15 minutes . of that time , about 5 minutes of each demo was explaining the rules for movement and combat , with the rest of the time being actual playing time on the field , playing till one side or the other was completely dead . most of the other games were in the 20-30 min. range.

the speed of the game for a 16-20 point scenario or even a standard 16-20 point NON scenario game on a standard field is more to do with the actuall gamers than the game it self .

the 50 minute game was with a player that took several minutes to perform each move , as he over thought the game , and i had to work hard to go easy on him because he made so many tactical mistakes that i could have pasted him by the middle of turn 3 , which would not have let me take him all the way through the game and teach it all to him . he still had fun though , and recopmended his friend to come in and try it out so they might have another game for their game nights .

to that end , i did go easy on most of the players , to begin with , just to try and get them to experience the dif rules . but for those that wanted to play again , using a dif. scenario , we played hard and fast , and the games were fast and fun .

the only person who didnt have fun was a girl that was kinda dumped on me by her boyfriend while he wanted to play a majic game , but she did recomend her father come in and try it , and he like it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Squires
United States
Capron
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 4 players this week "operation ceberus" and they have 300 point per person. We played 4 games in 15 hours. We take forever to play. I have a game clock set to 2 mins a turn we started using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.