Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules are silent. In our two games thus far, we have randomly selected a player to go first and proceeding clockwise, which may not be the first player on a team, so effectively, it's possible (50% likely in fact) for the pattern to be
A - B - B - C - C (- A - A - B - B ...)

We haven't noticed any balance problems with this, but it does seem like an oversight. The argument was that the rules were silent so you play like normal TTR (pick a random player and go clockwise). The counter argument is that teams are supposed to be seated so that teammates always play in a row, and if you go A - B - B instead of A - A - B - B you're breaking that rule, but no one felt that was a particularly strong argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in fairness, I personally think only a 2nd player on a team should start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

We haven't noticed any balance problems with this...

I haven't played the game yet, but actually I thought some about this issue. I compared it to playing a tennis tiebreak. Every player serves twice in a row, except for the one starting, meaning that no player gets an advantage of having served first.

I see this the same way. In a 2-team-game, the advantage (or maybe disadvantage?) of starting, is removed, if you start "within" a team. So if the rules don't state how to do, I think it would be fair to play A – B – B – A – A – B – B – A ... That would induce more balance, rather than causing any "balance problems".

In a 3-team game it's less obvious, but for consistency reasons I think I would go the same way there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Howitt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with Derek and Sven, the second player of a pair should go first. This then means that an A - B - B - A pattern occurs, which, whilst not musically sound, is fairest and actually reduces the first player advantage that occurs in a normal 2 player game of Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rougie wrote:
... an A - B - B - A pattern occurs, which, whilst not musically sound...

Are you trying to imply that the people who gave us Mamma Mia aren't musical geniuses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Rougie wrote:
... an A - B - B - A pattern occurs, which, whilst not musically sound...

Are you trying to imply that the people who gave us Mamma Mia aren't musical geniuses?

Only if you have dyslexia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
West Greenwich
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fomalhaut wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

We haven't noticed any balance problems with this...

I haven't played the game yet, but actually I thought some about this issue. I compared it to playing a tennis tiebreak. Every player serves twice in a row, except for the one starting, meaning that no player gets an advantage of having served first.

I see this the same way. In a 2-team-game, the advantage (or maybe disadvantage?) of starting, is removed, if you start "within" a team. So if the rules don't state how to do, I think it would be fair to play A – B – B – A – A – B – B – A ... That would induce more balance, rather than causing any "balance problems".

In a 3-team game it's less obvious, but for consistency reasons I think I would go the same way there.

I have to go with Derek & Sveum. We enforce a "house rule" which does just that. I can't see doing otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
I've recently played games where we house rule the team order as follows

A1-B1-A2-B2 (repeat)
A1-B1-C1-A2-B2-C2 (repeat)

The idea is that you never have a back to back turn for a team, which I think can be pretty nasty if played right. That seems to have worked out much better. Basically have all of the first players of the teams play first. Then have all of the second players of the teams play second and then repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
I've recently played games where we house rule the team order as follows

A1-B1-A2-B2 (repeat)
A1-B1-C1-A2-B2-C2 (repeat)

The idea is that you never have a back to back turn for a team, which I think can be pretty nasty if played right. That seems to have worked out much better. Basically have all of the first players of the teams play first. Then have all of the second players of the teams play second and then repeat

Wow, that would pretty much ruin the game for me. One of the advantages of the back to back turns is that a team can pull off a route that might otherwise be easily telegraphed. I'm pretty sure Alan R. Moon thought this through, and I think the game works very well as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question. It clearly says in the rules that you should sit next to your partner, but it doesn't say anything about starting order. I thought that we should just randomly choose a start player as usual and go from there (though it did occur to me that an ABBA start would be more fair, as argued above). Some of the folks I was playing with, though, were convinced that you should just choose a team to start, and then go AABB (or BBAA)--that is, that both players of the starting team should always go before any other team did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been using ABBA or ABBCCA (we find the 3-team version MUCH more interesting than the 2-team version FWIW) and find it's fine that way, no one has any complaints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.