Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Grant! Go get that fire in the corner bath under control!" barked Captain Fulks. "Sorry, Chey but Grant is faster, and you know it. Besides, I need you in the living room. I've got a bad feeling about that blaze. Parker, you're with Grant."

Soon, both of the firefighters on point had their areas under control, despite a couple of uncomfortable flare-ups in areas they thought they'd just cleared. "See, this is why we can't have nice things," Chey quipped.

"Parker, Chey's area is clear now. You can get 'em two at a time up there," called Fulks. That wouldn't last, though. With the first six residents cleared from the house, sightings were coming in scattered on the far side of the house. "Fido in the kitchen," said Chey. "The one in the bedroom turned out to be a cat," Grant replied.

"See what you can do," answered the Captain, "I've got this one, if Chey can cover me in the northeast. You'll have to leave the pup for now."

"Can do."

"Captain, I've made my handoff to Grant," came Parker's voice.

"Then make for the kitchen, then, and meet up with Chey."

"Heading there n... woah! Hey, team, it just got kinda tropical in here."

"You okay?" called Grant.

"Yeah, you finish up there, but Chey, you better shake a leg."

Grant scooted the now-conscious cat before him and herded it to the street. "That everybody?" He said.

"Almost clear up here," replied Fulks.

"Hate to tell you," cut in Parker, "but Rover's going to have to hang on a bit longer. I got a resident passed out here. God knows where she came from. Chey??"

"Little busy here!"

"Okay!" called Fulks, "I'm getting this one out while the getting's good. Parker, Grant, can you get those last two together?"

"Almost prepped now," said Parker.

"Then go! Go! Go!"

Unless I've missed a triple-check (and goodness knows, there's a lot that can go wrong), I believe I got out all 10 victims with zero explosions. Turn log to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Impressive work on that fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So: the team is the Fire Captain ("Fulks"), Generalist ("Grant"), CAFS Firefighter ("Chey"), and Paramedic ("Parker").

There's really very little choice about the team composition. Hazmat and Driver/Operator are pointless in Challenge 1, as is Imaging in all challenge scenarios, and the Engineer is against the contest rules until Challenge 3. That leaves Rescue as the only other eligible role. It was a tossup between that and Paramedic, and I went with my gut.

The Captain and Generalist go first because you really have to hustle to get the Southeast under control before it gets all explodey on Advance Fire rolls 10 and 11.

I've indicated in bold every turn in my notes where the Advance Fire roll resulted in anything more than smoke, just to show the level of control that's needed to keep cubes entirely off the board. As you can see, it's minimal for the first 20-odd turns. After that, the spreading hotspots start to make it harder to keep up.

F starts in 0-6
G starts in 7-3
C starts in 3-0
P starts in 7-3

1 F: coP(m5-2), coC(m3-1), coG(m6-4)
2 G: m6-5, oe, m6-6, xc5-6
3 C: xc3-2, m3-2, xc2-2, s1
4 P: t, m/vt6-3, m6-4
5 F: coP(m/v6-3, m/tv+v7-3, m6-4) (Rescue victim 1 and 2)
6 G: xc6-7, m6-7, xc5-7
7 C: m2-2, x2-1, x1-2, x2-3, s2
8 P: m5-4, x5-3, s1
9 F: coP(on, m4-6), s2
10 G: xc6-8, m6-8, xc5-8
11 C: x2-3, x1-2, x2-1, m3-2, x3-1, s1 (fire)
12 P: t, m/vt3-3 (flashover)
13 F: coP(ow, m/vt3-1, m/vt+v3-0), coC(m2-2) (Rescue victim 3 and 4) (fire, flashover)
14 G: x5-8, xc6-7, m6-7, x5-7
15 C: x1-2, x2-2, x3-2, m1-3, oe, m1-5
16 P: m2-3
17 F: coP(m1-3), coC(m2-5), coG(m6-3)
18 G: x6-3, s4
19 C: oe, m2-6, xc2-7, m2-7, x2-8
20 P: t, m/vt2-2, s1
21 F: coP(m/vt+v3-0) (Rescue victim 5 and 6)
22 G: m6-7, s1
23 C: x2-8, m2-6, x1-6, m2-4 (fire)
24 P: m3-2, x3-3 (fire)
25 F: coP(m4-6), coC(m1-4)
26 G: x6-7, x5-7, m/v6-6, x5-6 (fire, flashover)
27 C: xc 1-3, m1-3, xc1-2, xc2-3 (fire, flashover)
28 P: t, oe, m/vt4-9 (Rescue victim 7)
29 F: coC(m2-3), coP(m3-5) (fire)
30 G: m4-4, x4-3, x3-4 (flashover)
31 C: xc1-3, xc2-2, m2-2, x1-2
32 P: m3-3, t, m/vt3-4
33 F: m1-8, xc2-8, coP(m/vt5-4) (fire)
34 G: xc4-3, m5-4, x5-3, s1 (flashover)
35 C: m4-2 m3-2, xc4-2, m4-2, xc4-1
36 P: m6-6, s1 (flashover?)
37 F: m2-6, coP(m/vt+v6-5), s1
38 G: x5-4, m5-3, x6-3, x5-2, s1
39 C: x3-2, m1-2, x1-2, x1-3
40 P: t, m/vt7-3 (Rescue victim 8) (fire)
41 F: m/v0-6, coG(m5-5) (Rescue victim 9)
42 G: m6-5, m/vt7-3 (Rescue victim 10)

It's highly possible that I've erred somewhere here, as there are a lot of moving parts in a Challenge scenario. If you find something of that sort, hey, feel free to debug my transcript and make a better run yourself. Nothing would make me happier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:

It's highly possible that I've erred somewhere here, as there are a lot of moving parts in a Challenge scenario. If you find something of that sort, hey, feel free to debug my transcript and make a better run yourself. Nothing would make me happier.

Yes... I tried scenario 3 and got a perfect score (which would have been followed by a series of explosions that would have put a *lot* of damage cubes on the board just after the last fireman got out). But when I tried to replay it, I found so many inconsitencies between the game and the replay that I decided to quit. With all those repair actions, it took about 80 turns or so, so there was really a lot to write down and move around and think of.

These challenges are just too much paperwork for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
But when I tried to replay it, I found so many inconsitencies between the game and the replay that I decided to quit.

Yeah, I hear ya. I found quite a few errors as I went along, and went back and replayed my game from the beginning whenever I'd made enough changes to throw me into doubt. It's really time-consuming, not necessarily to play the challenge, but to play it to what you think is exact correctness. I had most of a day to kill on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure enough, found some errors. In particular, the order coP(m/vt+v6-5) in turn 37 makes no sense (I suspect a transcription error from a previous attempt). The Paramedic does not have a treated victim with her at that point, having left it behind (with the Generalist, luckily) on the prior turn. Nor is she even in space 6-7, which is where the new victim needs to be picked up. She's only in 6-6, for whatever reason.

So, I believe the turn sequence from here should instead go:

37 F: m2-6, coP(m6-7), s1
38 G: x5-4, m/vt5-3, x6-3, x5-2, s1
39 C: x3-2, m1-2, x1-2, x1-3
40 P: t, m/vt6-4
41 F: m/v0-6, coP(m/vt7-3) Rescues POIs 8 and 9
42 G: m/vt7-3 Rescues POI 10

There are a couple of other spots that I think are in error, but they don't affect the playthrough.

In turn 35, CAFS has two m4-2 orders. The first one should obviously be m3-2.

Turn 22 says that the Generalist saves a point, but since he saved 4 points back in Turn 18 that's clearly impossible. He never turns out to use the bogus point, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
She's only in 6-6, for whatever reason.

The reason, by the way, is probably that she can't both get to 6-7 and treat the victim on that turn, so she might as well stop short and let the Fire Captain send her there (thus banking a point to get out of the building later).

In fact, I think she probably should have stopped one step shorter, since the Captain ends up not needing both his command points on his turn (since she's going to need at least one of 'em, there's no sense in giving the other to the Generalist when it'll take him 'til his turn to get out anyway).

But, so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.