• [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
More specifically, money is open in all Winsome games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cowart
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's more generally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
More specifically, money is open in all Winsome games.

I was waiting for the "if it's traceable, money is open" classic-clearclaw line...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The traceable-open rule is clearclaw's personal rule.

Winsome games' eternally open money is an official rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
From a game theory perspective there is no difference between hidden and open trackable information (it assumes rational actors). I am interested in the game theory aspects of games and so optimise for that, comfortable that by making HTI open I have not changed the game theory definition of the game and have encouraged rational action as much as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of publishers feel that adding a memory aspect will make people give up playing optimally and play faster. This is demonstrably true for most players but gives an advantage to the people with better memory, above and beyond skill with the game. Many people don't like that.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
A lot of publishers feel that adding a memory aspect will make people give up playing optimally and play faster. This is demonstrably true for most players but gives an advantage to the people with better memory, above and beyond skill with the game. Many people don't like that.

B>

Aside from faster play, many people in my gaming circles also find a minor memory aspect and imperfect information fun. No one I know has ever told me "I would have more fun if I knew how much money everyone had at all times." It also makes it hard to know who is winning and by how much, unless you put extra effort into tracking. A few of my friends and I really don't enjoy watching ourselves lose with nothing we can do about it at that point. One friend will never play Chicago Express again for this reason - either he sees himself winning and just has to not screw up, or he sees himself losing and thinks there is nothing in his power to change that. I also felt a noticeable drop in excitement when I started playing Chicago Express with open money, and it's never returned to hidden money levels. And, to be completely honest, games that look like Chicago Express and German Railways can use all the excitement they can get.

I agree that open money is the designer's intent, and for many players it's more satisfying, but I support the hidden money variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.