BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wargames for 3 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I noticed there are a lot of good, complex wargames on BoardGameGeek for 2 players only.

But what about 3 players ? I have 2 brothers so I'm interested in a complex, layered, atmospheric, tense and epic wargame which plays perfect with 3 players.

I want murder and sacrifice, resource management, tactics and strategy, flow of time...

I guess games like Civilization The Boardgame or Through The Ages could satisfy me (haven't tried yet) but they look a little too simple and dry when they cover the mechanic of combat. I want the feel of units that bleed and suffer but I also want merciless, cold blooded calculations for the future of my empire. It has to be a massive simulation in it's scale but for 3 players, not 2. Path of Glory comes to mind but it's for 2 players and it's only combat oriented (right?).

I know there are computer games that are perfect for a "massive simulation" game (Europa Universalis) but I'm tired of computers and video games for now.

If anyone has a nice suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither epic nor massive in scale, but a wargame that is ideal for 3 players is Maria. I suggest you have a look and read more about it, as it is a wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages is a straight up Heavy Euro. Not what you're looking for given the listed criteria. It is awesome, but won't fit that particular bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not groggy at all, but we enjoy Star Wars Risk Original Trilogy Edition and Risk: Legacy. Both work exceptionally well with three. Also, The End of the Triumverate and Chaos in the Old World excel with three players. Starcraft and Runewars look great for three, too. None of these are heavy or carry any wargamer cred, but we enjoy (or are about to enjoy) them a ton. Struggle of Empires is great, but I'm not sure how well it works with three. Shogun/Wallenstein is super hip.

But if you're looking for Case Blue with three, I'm so not the guy who can help. I love plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played two (true) wargames with three players which I really enjoyed:
Hitler's War and
Bonaparte.

Although both are OoP, a lot of users here have them marked for trade. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recommend for Maria. Great 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Maria

And on a completely different note. If you want a short tactical wargame/fight look at Neuroshima Hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THC
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
200803 - Ich teile meinen Mond mit Dir...
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit it's neither complex nor massive but I suggest Axis & Allies: D-Day.
It's fun and you may alternate roles to answer calls for revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for suggestions.

Maria sounds very good for a 3 player wargame.

As for Neuroshima Hex, it is on my radar for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin McClements
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars by Fantasy Flight comes to mind. As a simulation, you're conquering the areas around you. Resource management, conflict is fun but not required (actually moving and battling with your friends), but we never have a game without it. And 3 players work great - you cannot really play Kingmaker, and if you get in a scrap with someone, the other player may come along and mop up, BUT we've had multiple games where the beaten-down player recovered and got right back into the game.

I enjoy it and recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Maria. Played it several times and many players enjoy it a lot. Hard to find, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ClineCon wrote:

Second for Gods Playground. Includes combat, control and cooperative ... More or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed is a great wargame for three players and is at the grand strategic level of play. One player is the Axis and the other two players split duties as the Allies. This is a block game, so there is FoW and limited intelligence, which I find to be more fun to play than wargames with perfect intelligence.

Asia Engulfed would also fall into the same catagory. Even better, you can combine these two games to fight the entirety of WWII using one game system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Prince of Moskova wrote:
ClineCon wrote:

Second for Gods Playground. Includes combat, control and cooperative ... More or less.

Is it very "polandy" ? I mean, does the game constantly give homage to Poland in a way that doesn't connect to the actual mechanics ? Somehow, I have a feeling this game is more a promo of a certain country than an actual game. I don't know why I think this, maybe because the theme of Poland isn't very marketable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Europe Engulfed is a great wargame for three players and is at the grand strategic level of play. One player is the Axis and the other two players split duties as the Allies. This is a block game, so there is FoW and limited intelligence, which I find to be more fun to play than wargames with perfect intelligence.

Asia Engulfed would also fall into the same catagory. Even better, you can combine these two games to fight the entirety of WWII using one game system!

Europe Engulfed sounds interesting, but what is worrying me is the fact that a 2 player game has priority over a 3 player one. At least according to BoardGameGeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warsaw 44 uprising is both very marketable and quite remarkable IMO.

Poland was re-born out of the first World War, its invasion was the catalyst for Britain's engagement, was then swallowed up by the Soviet Union; gaving us historical characters like Gomolka and later political ideology/movements like Solidarity, demonstrated that the Catholic Church could be an emancipatory force; in a very short period demonstrated that it could join the EU and become a democratic state - something people used to say both Eastern European and Catholic states could not do.

All this and the Kielbasa! Poland rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OldNews wrote:
Europe Engulfed sounds interesting, but what is worrying me is the fact that a 2 player game has priority over a 3 player one. At least according to BoardGameGeek.

I have always played Europe Engulfed with three players, though I guess it works fine as a 2-player game, too. For what it's worth, in our experience, we believe there is a bit too much going on for one player to handle the allies properly. Another interesting aspect is how the two allied players will cooperate (or not) and how that affects the game. If you add Asia Engulfed to play the entire war, this problem is only exasperated. In fact, we think you almost need four players in the grand game (both EE and AE combined), two Axis players and two Allies players.

As for the priority of player numbers, the game is advertised as a two player game, so it is no surprise that BGG would rate it higher as a 2-player game. Even so, there is more than enough going on to keep three players involved at all times, I can assure you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a predecessor to Maria, it was called Friedrich

Also, Pacific Victory, Victory: The Blocks of War, and such are decent 3 player games. If you combined EastFront II and WestFront II, or Sam Grant and Bobby Lee, they could easily be a three player wargames as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldNews wrote:
Prince of Moskova wrote:
ClineCon wrote:

Is it very "polandy" ? I mean, does the game constantly give homage to Poland in a way that doesn't connect to the actual mechanics ? Somehow, I have a feeling this game is more of a promo to a certain country than an actual game. I don't know why I think this, maybe because the theme of Poland isn't very marketable.

There is a lot of history that has passed through Poland. Most of it is not pretty for the Polish, but that doesn't mean that it should be ignored. Pull out the movies With Fire and Sword, The Deluge, and Col. Wol (I apologize that I cannot remember how to spell the fellow's name).

Rather than being pro Poland, or glorifying Poland (which btw, what's wrong with that? A lot of games glorify the United States and allies), I think the game is very educational of Poland's position and the failings of the central authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.