Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on making a game about the fight for southern Biak and the airfields. I'd like to be a little objective about combat capabilities and would like to try COL Dupuy's analytical approach. However, I can't find the data for weapons systems he used. On the Dupuy Institute's website I found a thread that claimed pages 15 to 28 of HERO Report #32, volume 3 has data used by Dupuy for WWII OLIs, but the site seems dead and no new members can join the forums. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Slightly off-topic, but you might want to look at Military Power: Explaining Victory and Defeat in Modern Battle (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Power-Explaining-Victory-Defe...) for a different analytical view. I think that it's more convincing than Dupuy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's available on Amazon if you're willing to spend the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, isn't that info in Numbers, Predictions and War? I don't have my copy handy, but I believe that it there was info on the ACW and WWII (but I may have a couple of his books confused, but I know there was data on the Wehrrmacht and US Army in one of his books...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
it's available on Amazon if you're willing to spend the money.

I looked a little deeper and it's availble in paperback for about 30 bucks. I may get one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I have just requested both N, P & W and the Biddle book from the library. I had not heard of Biddle's book before and it sounds like I already agree with his point so I look forward to reading it.

If memory serves, there was no useful data on Japanese weapons in Dupuy's book, so I did not spend much time looking for US weapons data there. I'll look again. Dupuy did some analysis on Okinawa battles elsewhere but not much detail on weapons values was to be found (at least, where I looked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TC, I had already planned on contacting you if I ever got far enough to have something worth testing. I don't have the time I used to for this, so it's evolutionary rather than noticeably advancing.

I got nothin' but ideas at this point. I have started on a rulebook, an OOB, basic playing parameters, and my goals. I like detail so I'm trying to cut back.

I stalled on AI for too long so put that on hold- decided that could wait. (I am of the "war gamers have way too much knowledge" school.) Being interested in US Army in WW2 PTO, that led to the conclusion that solitaire solves two problems: too much info for player and Japanese player waiting to die in place. (Read: only hardcore players like to play delaying actions for the entire game.)

I have no useful computer knowledge (other than word-processing and spreadsheet basics and what is beneficial to my employer) so trying to make rudimentary counters is a slog. The map will therefore be a bi###. I thought I'd find some better photos online than I have. Thinking area movement given the nature of the terrain.

Since you offered, what would you want to see in such a game?

Happy New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.