Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TARDIS whined and groaned as it phased into view, though the group of children playing stickball across the street barely even registered the it's presence. They didn't even bother to look over as the Doctor poked his head anxiously out of the funny blue police box that hadn't been there a moment before, "America. Brilliant!"

He wandered over to a nearby new stand and unfurled the morning's paper. "Aw, 1930. I love 1930! So much better than the French Revolution."

Tossing the paper back onto the rack, the Doctor headed out to see what adventures lay ahead of him.

THE DOCTOR: Brains 11, Brawn 7, Bravery 8

TRAITS: Aware, Charisma, Domination, Gloating, History, Running, Thief, Tracking
Equipment: TARDIS key

TURN 1: ACTION EXPLORE
The Doctor is beside himself when he hears the voice of an old friend calling out to him from the doorway of a nearby eatery, "Is there a Doctor in the House?" The Doctor turns to find Captain Jack Harkness casually leaning against the doorway. His cheeky smile lit up the New York streets that night more than neon lights would 60 years later.

Unfortunately, the two didn't have much time to catch up. Jack told the Doctor about some strange people he'd run across. He'd been following them for a while and had been hoping the Doctor would turn up to help sort matters out.

Just then, the couple in question, a lady and her gentlemen, came bustling through the door of the local eatery, spilling their over-wide bodies through the door and into the street. Jack had to excuse himself from the doorway in order to give them wide enough berth. He made a polite gesture to the couple as he did, but cast a telling glance toward the Doctor.

The lady of the group let out a noxious sounding explosion from her backside. She placed her hand reflexively over her mouth in a giggle.

"Oh, pardon me!" she squealed.

"Never fear, my love! One does not apologize for good food." Her companion chuckled to himself as he offered her his arm.

The Doctor ducked behind Jack, careful not to be seen, but as he tried to move out of view, he accidentally bumped into a young merchant wheeling a fruit cart past the restaurant, knocking the cart over onto Jack, and spilling all the fruit in the process. Fortunately, the couple hadn't noticed the commotion behind behind them.

TURN 2: FREE JACK (BRAWN)

"Do you know who they are, then?" Asked Jack, when the two had finished getting the cart upright and helping the young merchant restock his fallen wares.

"Slitheen." The Doctor said the words slowly, overemphasizing each syllable as though each one tasted foul on his tongue.

The two headed off in the direction of the Slitheen. Along the way they come across a pushy young female reporter who is all too eager to tell them of what she has just seen in a nearby alley way. Two people had "unzipped" themselves, right in front of her eyes; and not in the way that gets you a misdemeanor charge. They had unzipped their skin clean off. She could hardly believe the story herself. After imploring her not to run the story in the morning's paper, the two men head off in the direction she had indicated.

TURN 3: SEEK INFORMATION

The Doctor and Jack combed the area for what seemed like hours before they caught a whiff of the tale-tell flatulence. Jack motioned to an open window nearby. The Doctor peered in through the window to see four Slitheen seated in the living room of a small, ornately furnished apartment. They were dressed in their human disguises, and all farting and giggling with glee. The Doctor and Jack watched, but remained hidden from view until three of the guests had parted for the evening.

TURN 4: FOLLOW

Jack and the Doctor followed the three remaining Slitheen to another home a few blocks away, but before heading into their home, the Slitheen turned and addressed the two time travelers quite unexpectedly.

The Doctor weighed his options. He was just about ready with a really good zinger, but Jack sprung into action first, landing a stunning blow on one of the Slitheen. "Alright, then."

Jack landed another stunning blow on one of the Slitheen, and the Doctor on another, but the Slitheen fought harder, and dirtier.

Ditching their human guises, they lashed out at Jack with their massive claws, seriously wounding him in the process. The Doctor raised his hands in surrender for the benefit of his fallen companion, but the Slitheen refused to accept his plea. They lashed out at Jack again, killing him instantly.

The Doctor rushed forward to Jack's body and cradled his head to his chest. The Slitheen looked on, and appeared quite pleased with themselves. "Wake up Jack. You do this all the time. Wake up one more time for me. You have to wake up." Jack's blaster dropped from his grip and clattered onto the ground. The Doctor snatched up the blaster. His hearts beat with the fury of war drums. Maybe it was time for a new kind of Doctor, he thought to himself. A new Doctor with no mercy. No sympathy. No regrets.

This was Jack, after all. Captain Jack. They had killed Captain Jack. He allowed the words to echo around in his head for a bit, further fueling his rage. It was something the Doctor had thought impossible. Jack was a fixed point in time; an anomaly. How does someone kill a fixed point? He began to question everything he thought he knew about the universe, and about time. How does that even happen?

The Doctor leveled the blaster at the Slitheen, filled with rage, and with hatred, and with all the things that make men wage war. Then he thought of Jack. He thought of all his companions. What would they have him do? Would this man, this new man he was about to become, be the man they staked their lives on?

With a sigh he released all the hatred, or as much as he could manage, and dropped the blaster on the ground at his feet, throwing himself at the mercy of the Slitheen.

They raised their giant claws and cut him down where he stood. It happened so quickly, there wasn't time to regenerate.

There was a funeral held in his honor. It was held in every time, and in every place. It was as if a rift had opened throughout all of space and time, allowing everyone -- everyone who's lives the Doctor had ever touched, to join together in paying their final respects. It was at once the most beautiful, and most sorrowful event that will ever occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - some bad luck there.

Never cross a hungry Slitheen....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
Wow - some bad luck there.

Never cross a hungry Slitheen....

Yeah. I tried to run away, again and again. They just wouldn't let up. It was rough! But fun. I'd be lying of I said I wasn't a little broken up when Jack died. Fun time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you rolling for an encounter each Turn, after your chosen Action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
Are you rolling for an encounter each Turn, after your chosen Action?

In this game, I just rolled really badly and kept being forced into encounters. In my first few games I was taking every encounter (even multiple enemy encounters).

I think I have all the rules sorted now. There are so many situations where the rules just can't really cover it, you have to kind of do what you think makes sense.

Oh, one thing I think I still have wrong, that will totally change the game. When I see those things that say, "If you have 25 brains, gain +2DM" I always thought that meant if the Doctor has 25 brains (assuming maybe he'd get all kinds of crazy after many plays) but now I think I should be adding the quality of my whole party... doh. That would be changing things too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 25 Brains means you 'collectively' as a total
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.