Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It seemed to me like the four player game took a little longer than a filler game typically would. If I recall correctly, the rule book says 10-60 minutes, quite a range for this light of a game. Perhaps sticking with the shorter game variant is necessary with four players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be gOod to know how much you generally like/dislike luck in a game to give a better frame of reference for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Riot
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Great review that pretty much summed up my fiancee and I's view of the game after a few plays. We're going to give it a few more plays using the sideshow cards to see if that bumps up the excitement. Played it with some young family members (8 and 10 years old) and they had more fun that the adults, so that's a positive. I also had a couple of poor wooden dice with crooked and off-center pip placement, but luckily the chessex bonus dice are of a much higher quality.

I enjoy dice games and games that rely heavily on luck, but we just haven't been finding this game exciting. Hopefully some house rules will emerge that can bump up the fun factor. Other than the wooden dice, the components are great and I think there's still potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You say that you were forced to use the tickets for die rolls. Not much else to use them for but block actions and I only found the need to do that once but I had gotten my ticket back for that. It is my opinion that is the main reason to use the tickets. To mitigate the luck somewhat.

Quote:

I did not enjoy stealing from Ryan nor did I feel particularly compelled to block him from his own actions.

This explains a lot. This is just avoiding most of the gameplay (4 of the 6 actions have you taking from / trading with your opponent in some way). Most of what you do is try to complete rides while slowing down your opponent. If you don't like games where you need to steal from other players then this is NOT the game for you. (EDIT: by you I do not mean the OP but anyone in general)

I enjoyed the game for what it is. It is a very light and fast filler. DO NOT hold those tickets for some late game scheming as the game will be over before you know it and you will have 3 tickets in your hand. The best way to play is finishing the game with none left (by finishing I hope you win lol).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say that I really like the format of your reviews, it's great that the two of you take the time to do these together. Very cool.

And by the way, I've had a similar experience with the game--I'm happy for the designers that they were able to get Carnival out into the world, but it's not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:

@lordunborn - Amanda did not mean she did not use the tickets, she meant she simply did not feel interested enough to care when she did. We used the tickets but it didnt feel like "O wait there is a really good block" or "O if I just use this ticket I can rotate and do this and this and this". It simply felt more like....well I guess since I got a bum roll and literally cant do anything I must use this ticket to re-roll or rotate a die or well if I dont block her she will steal that card she needs. It was always just dead obvious when the best times to use tickets were and again made it part of that whole feeling like you are just going through the steps vs having to make any real strategic decisions.

Understood, thanks for the clarification.

Oh and I dislike Dominion also. Just to dry yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.