5 Posts

Rivals for Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Large Trade Ship rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sailing Orienteer
United States
flag msg tools
Reading the English version of the Rivals for Catan rules, it is not crystal clear to me whether the Large Trade Ship applies only to the adjacent regions themselves, or whether instead it applies to the resource TYPES in the adjacent regions.

In other words, if my large trade ship is between the wool and the bricks, and I also have another wool region elsewhere that is not next to the large trade ship, then can I trade wool from any of my regions at 2 to 1 or only wool from the region next to the large trade ship at 2 to 1? (as well as bricks from the region next to the large trade ship at 2 to 1)

It is a little confusing, because the general description of trading states that if you have a trade ship then you can trade a resource type at 2 to 1. But I understand the large trade ship was added in the revised version of the game, and there is no statement regarding the large trade ship that the resources can come from any region of that type, while such statement does appear in descriptions of the other trade ships. Also the example, only mentions trading from one region and then the other region, not "as many times as you like". So, I believe it is meant to be only the 2 actual regions next to the large trade ship that gain the 2 to 1 advantage, and not other regions of the same resource type. Another clue is that the Large Trade Ship costs the same to build as the other trade ships. Seems like it would cost more if it were to apply to any region with the same type of resource as the adjacent regions.

Just looking for confirmation or authoritative disillusionment.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The card description on p. 19 of the rules seems clear enough to me: "you can trade the resources produced in the regions to the left and/or right". You can only touch the resources on those region cards. Were it worded "resource of the type produced in the regions...", I'd rule differently. Plus, IIRC, this is the same way every other card that points to regions works; it only impacts those specific region cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to that, then.

Are you allowed to mix and match? Could I trade one good from each side for one resource of my choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
ousgg wrote:
Are you allowed to mix and match? Could I trade one good from each side for one resource of my choice?

This is explicitly called out on p.19: "You may not combine resources from the right and left regions" [emphasis theirs].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not possible to trade resources from other regions than the directly adjacent regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.