Hide
16 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: 6 player variant that my friends and I use. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Azlin
msg tools
Using several suggestions seen on these forums, and my gaming group we use this variant for full game use. I uploaded an image but here is the gyst of action spaces to add in addition to playing with the 5 player action spaces;

1 Clay per turn

1 Wood per turn

Build Stable(s) 2 wood per stable Or Begging 1 Food per turn

1 Occupation (costs 2 Food) Or Pay 1 Food 1 Major or Minor Improvement

Take 1 Building Resource of your choice and place it in your personal supply Or Pay 1 Food for 1 Grain

Pay 1 Food Fences 1 Wood per fence Or Pay 1 Food Sow and/or Bake bread Or Pay 1 Food Plow 1 Field

Additional Major Improvements are as follows;

Cooking Hearth added (as suggested by patox)

Wood-fired Oven (as suggested by patox)

Fireplace (use an extra 3 cost fireplace over the simple fireplace)

Stonecutter's Hall (fits the only missing conversion)

Only rule change;

At the start of the game the starting player recieves 2 food, players 2-5 recieve 3 food, and the sixth player recieves 4 food. (as suggested by patox)

-Daniel

Edited: Changed the simple fireplace to an extra 3 cost fireplace, because the simple is too cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What sort of playing time are we looking at with six players? I've only played with four and that drags on long enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Azlin
msg tools
Unfortunatly it depends on your players. I know I can manage a two player game in 45 minutes. However, a 5 plaer game can last a good 2 hours. The six player version adds some time, but I'd rather a sixth player join in rather than them sitting on the sideline or playing another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have six players, you could play two 3-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Our group can do 5p games in an hour and a half pretty reliably, and every once in awhile we manage to do one in an hour (which always surprises us). But with new players, or with some of our slower players happening to get AP-prone card scenarios, the game can easily drag on for a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ho
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to clarify is the:

Build Stable(s) 2 wood per stable Or Begging 1 Food per turn

Mean you can trade in 1 Begging Card you already have as one of the two options besides building stables?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Azlin
msg tools
I made a custom card that mirrors traveling players but is called begging and yields 1 food per turn. Basically I put it in instead of another travelling players to keep players from doublin up on benefiting from an action twice. Same thing why I didnt make it a take 1 grain spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
So it's just an accumulating food spot, like fishing or TP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Azlin
msg tools
correct, and we have also started to just add an extra 3 cost fireplace over the simple fireplace because its a little too cheap. It works pretty well though. Last game we had I scored 48 points. The second highest was 42. Was pretty fun.

The reason I didn't just add another traveling players or fishing spot is so people couldn't double dip with occupation cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forked Lightning
United States
California
flag msg tools
Elezzar wrote:
I made a custom card that mirrors traveling players but is called begging and yields 1 food per turn. Basically I put it in instead of another travelling players to keep players from doublin up on benefiting from an action twice. Same thing why I didnt make it a take 1 grain spot.

I love the idea, might I suggest calling it "Hunting" or some other form of food gathering so as not to confuse it with the actual process of getting begging cards.

On the whole I like your setup alot and look forward to trying it. I wonder if/when the official 6er rules come out if they'll be similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
electrokinetic wrote:
... if/when the official 6er rules come out if they'll be similar.

Did such a thing ever happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
electrokinetic wrote:

Nope, and my bet is it never will. That itch is scratchable via Caverna: The Cave Farmers, which accommodates up to seven. Personally, I can't say I'd ever want to tackle Agricola with six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I try to avoid playing with 5, so 6 doesnt sound too appealing. I think with 5 they should have added extra action spaces instead of doubling up with rooms and FG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
[q="Elezzar"]

Cooking Hearth added (as suggested by patox)

Wood-fired Oven (as suggested by patox)

Stonecutter's Hall (fits the only missing conversion)

>>

Details of these? Link to Patox ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Agricola: Expansion for 5 and 6 Players in my FLGS the other day.

Now to decide if I want to repurchase the new edition of the base game in order to use this expansion.

MisterG wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
electrokinetic wrote:

Nope, and my bet is it never will. That itch is scratchable via Caverna: The Cave Farmers, which accommodates up to seven. Personally, I can't say I'd ever want to tackle Agricola with six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
My preferred six-player variant is Caverna. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.