Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for 2 months at least. For all you print and play aficionados out there, AEG had made an unprecedented move in the CCG industry. Because of product release delays, they do not want to put off tournament legality of their cards, but they just weren't getting back form the printers in time.

As a show of good faith, and supreme class I might add, they release the entire set of cards on PDF again. They have done this for smaller sets in the past, but this time there is a catch. These cards are officially sanctioned and legal for tournament play through the middle of march.

This is a new arc, and the rules have recently been revamped also, so right now the game is in a very new state again. The PDF contains the base Emperor Edition (over 400 cards) including all basic clan holdings and strongholds needed to build multiple decks for all 9 clans.

CCGs may or may not be your thing, I get that. But for right now, a whole set is available for free. Even if you never take up the game, I highly recommend giving it a look for the amazing art and layout alone.

The cards are here....

http://www.l5r.com/KolatEdition.pdf

The Rules are here....

http://www.l5r.com/images/Emperor-Edition-Rulebook.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Niederer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
awesome, going to check this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, at GenCon they had very simple decks built for each clan that were really well balanced for first time players. Here is a link to the decklist for each. all of the cards to build these I believe should be in the release above.....

http://www.l5r.com/images/Emperor-Edition-Demo-Deck-Decklist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice move, the delays WERE getting pretty ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
why does the rulebook have so many pages, yet is so small in dimension?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, this is awesome! I've always felt that AEG treats its customers well, but this goes above and beyond.

I've only played the game once (a demo, when it first launched) but I love the setting and have enjoyed the RPG. I'm gonna' give this a test drive, since I've had my eye on War of Honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is pretty awesome. I've never played L5R, or even considered playing for that matter, but this move (and your post) has me checking out the game and might get me hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just considering getting into this game for my birthday, and now I get a free "try before you buy?" Sweet deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't know, they are VERY active for supporting their player base, for both the CCG and the RPG. You can join the Imperial Assembly which is a membership club for them. Then they have various tournaments for cards, and various online puzzles and such... lest year there were strategic map moved decided upon by each 'Clan' by membership votes....

All of these things impact how the game storyline develops. Characters live and die, clans are elevated or sent to war, often based on the input of the player base.

So 2 other things I would recommend.....

1) Check their main site out. They have a ton of stuff there.

2) Since the decks you can build for each clan really to stay within the feel and theme of each clan, take the "Which Clan Are You" test before deciding what to play. It will likely put you into a clan whose theme, and often deck styles, you will like based on how you approach games.

http://www.l5r.com/quiz/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a pdf that would be easier for printing purposes. Right now each card is on it's own page, it would be easier if they had several to a page so that it wouldn't take so much paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest way is to set your print preferences to 9 pages per sheet.

But since you will want 3 copies of non-unique cards, it is best to copy them, then paste them into a word document as needed for the deck you want to print out.

Also, a member of the Spider clan has posted a file with all of the cards as JPGs....

http://roku-mart.com/images/emperor.zip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bournizzle wrote:
Is there a pdf that would be easier for printing purposes. Right now each card is on it's own page, it would be easier if they had several to a page so that it wouldn't take so much paper.
I'm very sure you can set up how many pages you want to have on one page when printing them out.

I don't have Windows / Adobe reader whichever let you do that but it's there if you look for it.

I assume you can always do it.

I know I've used this one so if nothing else:
http://foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
That should work. Thanks!

Never messed around with CCG's much but this looks interesting so maybe I'll give it a try. Artwork looks pretty cool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Will it work to have a paper copy of a card mixed in with the AEG-produced versions in a tournament? You'd be able to tell which cards were from the different expansion, I'd think, unless you sleeve them so you can't see the backs of the cards.

I haven't played this CCG, just making idle chatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
why does the rulebook have so many pages, yet is so small in dimension?

Because it's being printed about the same size a card, to fit into the starter decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Wright wrote:
Huh. Will it work to have a paper copy of a card mixed in with the AEG-produced versions in a tournament? You'd be able to tell which cards were from the different expansion, I'd think, unless you sleeve them so you can't see the backs of the cards.

I haven't played this CCG, just making idle chatter.

Yes you'll need to have opaque sleeves, and "back" the printed cards with a real card (L5R or otherwise) to give it thickness. But yes you can mix them with actual cards for the tournament, should have an earlier printing of something in the set.

Come play! It's really an amazing game, I wouldn't be in the game industry without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd. And congrats on being Geek of the Week.

I'll take a closer look at L5R, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just made it a lot easier! See here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8265377#8265377
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.