Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Session Report for 4 player 18TN using Rails and Dropbox.

18TN was designed by Mark Derrick and is set in Kentucky and Tennessee. It's intended for 3-5 players.

The privates are fairly generic, most of them allow a free tile lay (cost and not counting against your # or lays)
The privates may be sold into a public company for exactly their face value in the very first OR or can be held until 3 trains break, when they can be sold for 0.5 - 1.5 times their face.
The L&N private comes with the President's share of the L&N public. The owner sets the par value and the L&N private closes immediately. The L&N is the only public company that operates with only the president's share sold. It gets its 100% of its operating capital. All other companies float when 60% of their shares are sold.

Private Companies (Par/Revenue - Special)
Tennessee Copper Company (20/5) - free tile lay
East TN and Western NC RR (40/10) - free tile lay
Memphis and Charleston RR (70/15) - free tile lay
Oneida and Western RR (100/20) - free tile lay
Louisville and Nashville RR (175/-)

There are also 6 Public Companies:
Gulf, Mobile and Ohio RR
Illinois Central
Louisville & Nashville RR
Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway
Southern Railway
Tennessee Central Railway

Rules are very similar to 1830 with the following notable exceptions:
You can lay 2 yellow tiles or upgrade 1 tile.
Companies may only buy one train per Round until the first 4 train is bought.
4 trains become "obsolete" when the 2nd (and last) 6 train is bought from the bank. The 4 trains may make one more run before it is discarded.
There is a Civil War phase that occurs when 4 of the 5 Three trains are bought from the Bank. On each company's next OR, they run with one train less. If this results in them having no trains to run, their share price does NOT drop.

Bank Starts with $8000
Players split $1800 four ways ($450)

Player order is Bob, Chester, Joshua, Rob

Bob buys TCC for $20
Chester buys ET&WNC for $40
Bob buys M&C for $75
Joshua buys O&W for $105
Rob buys L&N 20% president share for $195 and sets par at $80

Bob has $355
Chester has $410
Joshua has $345
Rob has $255

Joshua and I start buying up shares of the L&N while Chester opens the SOU with a par value of $65

I also buy 3 shares of the SOU after it floats.
The L&N sells out and the price rises.

The L&N builds east into Cincinatti.
Chester sells his ET&WNC into the SOU and uses its tile drop to avoid a $120 mountain track and builds into the Bristol Coalfields.

Stock Round 2 sees Joshua buy the last share of SOU and the L&N and SOU prices both go up.

In OR 2, both L&N and SOU build into the center of the map toward Nashville.

In SR 3, I sell off all my shares of L&N and SOU and open the TC at $80.

Chester and Joshua pick up some loose shares of L&N and again it goes back up.

OR3 breaks open 3 trains.

L&N is now running for $120
SOU is running $110

SR4: Joshua sells off all of his stocks and opens the GMO at $90. I think it's worth seeing the beating that the SOU has taken. The L&N has taken some lumps as well.

The first round of OR4 sees the 4th 3 train sold and the Civil War (or what Tennessee would call The War of Northern Aggression) will forced everyone to run one less train next time. The GMO gets hit especially hard since it only has one train.

The GMO develops North-South. The TC tokens outside of Cincinatti with an eye on the $80 value when 5 trains break. Nashville, TC's home, will also eventually promote up to a $60 stop. I try to build south from there to get into the Bristol Coalfields but the L&N lays a blocking K and a token to deny the move. There's also a welcome move to build around the whistlestops on the northern route out of Nashville.

We get into 4 trains and 2s go away.

In SR5, Rob sells off 2 shares of the L&N and opens the IC at $65. I think I missed an opportunity here to get the last company opened but I didn't feel like I'd be able to open it at a high enough par value to get the necessary capital. The TC is in arbitrage and I sell a share to avoid a bigger loss and start investing in the SOU who look like they are in good shape.

Chester opens the NC at $75.

I buy and trash 2 shares each of the IC and NC and invest in the GMO and SOU.

In OR5, the L&N and the TC buy the last 4 trains. Just after doing this, I notice for the first time that 4 trains rust when the 2nd 6 train is bought, not when the first 8 is bought (as I assumed) and I get a sinking feeling.....

I think the GMO missed an opportunity here. A withhold would have let them get the first 5 train and the game could have turned out quite differently. Instead, they run and pay out.

The NC buys a 5 from the bank and a 3 from the SOU for enough to allow a 5 for them too.

The IC buys the first 6 and kills all of the GMOs 3 trains.

In the next set of ORs, the TC operates first and runs and pays out on its single 4.

The GMO is forced to buy the second and last 6 train and start the 4 train obsolecence. He has to go out of pocket and sells off shares of the TC, IC and SOU to afford it.

The L&N operates next, runs on its last 4 and bankrupts when it can't afford an 8. Rob could have chosen to pass his 6 train between his companies but we all ran the numbers and my TC would have been able to afford its 8 train - though it would have knocked me into second place.

1. $947 Bob
2. $646 Chester
3. $424 Joshua
4. $355 Rob

Technically, the game ended with me winning but if I'd had to buy the 8 train, I would have been down around $500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first time playing 18TN, and I have to admit I was a little ignorant of the map features at the start.

I intentionally orchestrated to get my two companies 5 trains, since it looked like multiple players would have to fund trains out of pocket and I'd be able to run up my portfolio. My plan was to keep one company in the yellow zone and buy up more stock than anyone else (when all companies had permanent trains), but I failed to realize the imminent bankruptcy until too late.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently to benefit from the bankruptcy, but it would have been in my favor if it could have been delayed just a little while.

This one seems fine as one of the one-state games. Not the most interesting one I've played, but I like the way the Civil War is included in the chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm rather surprised how late the IC opened considering that it has a 30% presidency. The IC/GMO pair in particular are very strong and run 5Ts beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm rather surprised how late the IC opened considering that it has a 30% presidency.
Help me understand the significance of a 30% presidency and how that would be a benefit?

edit: OK, effectively extends your Certificate limit. Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CrankyPants wrote:
OK, effectively extends your Certificate limit. Anything else?

That, and because holding 20% as a minor investor is now safe, it will be almost permanently sold out and thus appreciating vertically until it hits the ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mixemong
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, big thumbs for the imagery. It definitely helps me see what I didn't see during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think the GMO missed an opportunity here. A withhold would have let them get the first 5 train and the game could have turned out quite differently. Instead, they run and pay out.

Well, having screwed up and opened the GMO when the Civil War was happening, I had already gone left twice and didn't want to go left a third time. I was killing my own stock value.

I definitely made 1st game mistakes, hopefully I won't do as badly next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm rather surprised how late the IC opened considering that it has a 30% presidency. The IC/GMO pair in particular are very strong and run 5Ts beautifully.

Again, I was oblivious to this from it being my 1st game play. I think this comment alone could change the shape of our rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Quote:

Well, having screwed up and opened the GMO when the Civil War was happening, I had already gone left twice and didn't want to go left a third time. I was killing my own stock value.

I expected this was the reason, though your stock didn't fall when the civil war kept you from running your single train -- special fine print rule that I also missed until I observed it during your play. You did miss the revenue though and the game was over before you ran again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Quote:

I expected this was the reason, though your stock didn't fall when the civil war kept you from running your single train -- special fine print rule that I also missed until I observed it during your play. You did miss the revenue though and the game was over before you ran again.

D'oh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.