Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Puerto Rico Deluxe» Forums » General

Subject: POLL: Your Feelings Towards the 'Copper Penny' Doubloons in the US Edition... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
As those who've bought or seen the US release of the Anniversary Edition know by now, the 'gold-looking' doubloons of the European editions were not carried over to the US version (this was due to the European doubloons having too high a lead content for the US ).

However, not only was the lead content changed, but the looks as well. Somehow, the US doubloons wound up strongly resembling copper pennies. To wit:

For comparison, here are the European doubloons:

So, what is your opinion on this? Poll below. coffeetobaccoindigosugarcorn

Poll
The 'copper penny' doubloons in the US Edition– How do you feel about this?
Not an issue. Anything's better than the cardboard ones in the original set
A slight let-down. Could be better, but I barely noticed the copper look.
Meh. I'm sure not happy about it, but it is what it is.
I'm insulted. I spend this much, and THIS is what they do? Holy crap.
I'm PISSED. This may affect whether I buy games from this publisher again.
      234 answers
Poll created by SystemShock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No option for this edition was overpriced to begin with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
F) They're functional and I'm not handling poison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schaefer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:

I'm down with F as well.
I think we're overly cautious here in the states but in this case I don't care. Give me lower lead count functional over slightly better looking anyday. I love my new Puerto Rico set. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Additional options...
I live in Europe. I like my shiny coins!
What is with these over-protective Americans? A bit of lead never hurt anybody!
I have the European edition and only play wearing protective clothing.
I died in Europe. Of lead poisoning.
      97 answers
Poll created by riks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
WeekendPass wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

I'm down with F as well.
I think we're overly cautious here in the states but in this case I don't care. Give me lower lead count functional over slightly better looking anyday. I love my new Puerto Rico set. It's awesome.

No offense, but I strongly suspect that "coins of toxic death" vs "copper coins" is a false choice. Or certainly not the only choice.

No doubt one can make coins that are gold-looking AND safe. Anyone ever hear of brass?

Or whatever all the replica doubloons are made of that you see for sale on the internet (often brass, but sometimes other things). Some folks DO seem to know how to do this and yet still meet US lead standards. Otherwise their 'gold doubloon replicas' probably would not be for sale in the US.

Now, if there is a true coin expert in our midst, and I am in error in any of the above assumptions, pls feel free to correct my reasoning. I'd rather know what's up than be right. But I do find it somewhat hard to believe that 'copper pennies' were the ONLY viable solution.

Perhaps instead, they were the only 'cheap enough, available fast enough to still make Christmas after the lead coin fiasco' solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case I change my answer to

G) gold is gaudy and the coins are fine. Plus, I'm not handling poison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that ANY level of lead is acceptable. My overall preference for game money is heavy duty cardboard chits - pretty much what Cyclades came with. Those are cash-money.

Edit: it also seems that comparing the two photographs may be misleading. It would be much more helpful to see both coins in the same photo.

The Europe coins look amazing: good angle, perfect light
The America coins look poopy: pulled back shot, bland table, bland light
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am perfectly fine with the copper coins and couldn't care less that someone in the world has shinier coins than me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to, "No doubt one can make coins that are gold-looking AND safe. Anyone ever hear of brass?", I suggest you look at the Seaside and Prosperity "golden" coins. These are made of steel and are perfectly safe. RGG offered this option to Alea, but they preferred to make their own. When they discovered theirs were not approved for sale in the US, they asked (in October, I believe), if they could get the coins from our producer - I explained they could, but it would be several months before they could deliver them in the quantity needed - their solution options - copper colored "safe" metal coins, die-cut cardboard coins, and plastic coins.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
riogames wrote:
In response to, "No doubt one can make coins that are gold-looking AND safe. Anyone ever hear of brass?", I suggest you look at the Seaside and Prosperity "golden" coins. These are made of steel and are perfectly safe.

RGG offered this option to Alea, but they preferred to make their own. When they discovered theirs were not approved for sale in the US, they asked (in October, I believe), if they could get the coins from our producer - I explained they could, but it would be several months before they could deliver them in the quantity needed - their solution options - copper colored "safe" metal coins, die-cut cardboard coins, and plastic coins.

Jay

FYI, and along the same lines, Realm Coins 'gold' coins are made of brass, as is stated in the video:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1095993227/realm-coins?r...

Since steel is not naturally yellow in color, I'd guess the steel coins you mention are either plated with something else (brass?) or are painted/anodized in some fashion.

Far as your situation goes, sounds like Alea dealt you a tough hand, and I sympathize. Still, the result isn't great from many players point of view. I almost wish you'd waited to release.

However, I certainly understand that releasing in time for the Xmas season is very attractive for both Rio Grande and the various game shops/sites, and obviously we were itching to get it as well.

What I personally am going to do is purchase some gold doubloon replicas that fit the bill, and toss the copper penny doubloons. Others' mileage may vary.

Thank you for clarifying what happened, it is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
those kickstarter coins are the size of quarters. i think i'd rather play with smaller pennies than large, gold, quarters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just disappointed that my coins won't have that tangy lead taste that makes paint chips so yummy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
xBino wrote:
those kickstarter coins are the size of quarters. i think i'd rather play with smaller pennies than large, gold, quarters

I initially brought up the same objection, but, laying a penny atop a quarter, I realized that the size difference isn't that much... about 5mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
true that. i think it's all in my head haha

i've just ordered these coins to replace the "pennies"

they're the size of a quarter as well, but I'm willing to overlook that since they fit the theme of the game so well.

That and I can get 64 of these for $24.

i'll post some pictures of them when they arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
xBino wrote:
i've just ordered these coins to replace the "pennies"

they're the size of a quarter as well, but I'm willing to overlook that since they fit the theme of the game so well.

That and I can get 64 of these for $24.

i'll post some pictures of them when they arrive.

NICE, Bino. thumbsup

Where did you order those from?

I think I've seen coins like that from the Great American Coin Co./Beverly Oaks, but from what I remember the lot of coins they were selling also had a bunch of silver doubloons and small doubloons mixed in too (which means you need to order a lot more than 64 to get what you want ).

If this place will sell you all gold doubloon replicas in the lot, that's freakin' awesome, and I'd probably order some from there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
In response to, "No doubt one can make coins that are gold-looking AND safe. Anyone ever hear of brass?", I suggest you look at the Seaside and Prosperity "golden" coins. These are made of steel and are perfectly safe. RGG offered this option to Alea, but they preferred to make their own. When they discovered theirs were not approved for sale in the US, they asked (in October, I believe), if they could get the coins from our producer - I explained they could, but it would be several months before they could deliver them in the quantity needed - their solution options - copper colored "safe" metal coins, die-cut cardboard coins, and plastic coins.

Jay

I speak for everybody when I say thank you for not choosing the cardboard or plastic. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok are the coins only difference the color? Are they the same size and also same engravings?

If yes, I do not see too much of a problem, I could have them painted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
non-issue for me, fixed with a can of gold paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:
non-issue for me, fixed with a can of gold paint.

I had a lead "miniature" I painted gold. Yes, it's easy.

Or you can swap your gold Dominion: Seaside or Prosperity gold coins for those in PR. If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, drop me a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
LostRoom wrote:
No option for this edition was overpriced to begin with?

Ouch.

Maybe the $100 MSRP would've been okay if they'd included a can of gold spray paint...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and a box that wasn't paper thin. I'm afraid to handle it for fear that the box will fall apart like the Blues Brothers' Blues Mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received today my copy of the game. It's the Rio Grande English edition and the coins are shiny gold. I'm very happy with them. Does anybody know where can I buy a small drawstring purse for them, like this one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SystemShock wrote:
...I think I've seen coins like that from the Great American Coin Co./Beverly Oaks, but from what I remember the lot of coins they were selling also had a bunch of silver doubloons and small doubloons mixed in too (which means you need to order a lot more than 64 to get what you want ...

I was able to order the doubloons from Great American Coin Co. in all gold. Here is a link to their eBay entry: gold doubloons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.