Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Caravans scenario, if a player has built any settlements or cities, one caravan is voted and placed at the end of the active player's turn.

What happens if someone builds a settlement or city during the 5-6 player Special Building Phase? I can see 4 possibilities:

1. No caravans are placed due to building in the Special Building Phase, only due to building in the player's turn.
2. Caravan placement is delayed until after the Special Building Phase and then one caravan is placed if the active player built OR any other player built.
3. As well as the normal caravan for the active player building, one caravan is placed at the end of the Special Building Phase if anyone built. The trick with this option is who gets to place it if no-one has a majority? The active player? The player who built? What if more than one player built?
4. As well as the normal caravan for the active player building, one caravan is placed as soon as anyone builds in the Special Building Phase. This could mean more than one caravan placed in this phase but only one per player.

We chose the last option as being the closest to the original rules and always placing a caravan after building. It led to some minor interruptions in the Special Building Phase and had a lot of camels, but probably not more per person than in a 4 player game.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find the rules here: http://www.catan.com/en/download/?TaB_5-6_Rules_090308.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered in the Traders and Barbarians 5-6 Player Extension rulebook in the section for this scenario.

T & B 5-6 player rules (p4) wrote:
If, after set-up, you build any settlements or upgrade any settlements to cities during your turn, 1 camel is placed after you finish your turn and before the special building phase begins. If, during the special building phase, one or more players build or upgrade any settlements to cities, another camel is placed after the special building phase is finished. If a camel is placed after the special building phase, the player who just finished his turn also starts the voting round. This player may also place the camel if the established voting procedures do not lead to a majority of votes for one player or several players combined.

There are two oases now, as starting points for a total of 6 caravans. When you place a new camel, you are free to decide from which oasis to start your caravan and which caravan you want to extend with the new camel.

So, in summary, your option 3 - one camel before special build, one after, with the player whose turn it is getting to choose on split votes in either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the great responses.

I'm feeling rather embarrassed at the moment. I'm usually one for checking the rules thoroughly before asking questions. In this case I hadn't even realised that there was a 5-6 player expansion for T&B, even though I can now see it has an entry here on BGG - and me a geek veteran! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.