Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read BoH rulebook (first edition) and ... @_@ .... still do not have chance to play it yet.

Now Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles comes out, do you think BoB is easier than BoH, from the learning point of view?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BOB will be easier once I get my head around the rules. Ambiguous answer! I know...LNL BOH, DOH & FH I love though being very biased.

I'm very proud I was a play-tester on the above 3 games for LNL but it took me a while to get my head around rules when I first started. Depth the game has but once u learn u really won't need to keep looking at rules which really are straight forward I now find. For me it took a while but I learned quicker by simply playing & playing. The amount of fun I have had from these games has been a never ending experience! Nothing short of awesome. Wonderful narratives emerge as u play. The best. (IMHO)

Now BOB which I am just learning now with a friend who has the game. At first it was tricky trying fit new concepts into an older gaming headset...but today things seem clearer & wow even though we played infantry only the game has a wonderful tactical, tense feel to it. Great feel & very fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirty Harry wrote:
I think BOB will be easier once I get my head around the rules. Ambiguous answer! I know...LNL BOH, DOH & FH I love though being very biased.

I'm very proud I was a play-tester on the above 3 games for LNL but it took me a while to get my head around rules when I first started. Depth the game has but once u learn u really won't need to keep looking at rules which really are straight forward I now find. For me it took a while but I learned quicker by simply playing & playing. The amount of fun I have had from these games has been a never ending experience! Nothing short of awesome. Wonderful narratives emerge as u play. The best. (IMHO)

What are your favorite scenarios in terms of design, play balance and replayability, in your opinion, that give you the most wonderful experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANZAC scenario Long Tan, Just Another Day in Paradise...so many gotta sleep will post tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
BOB does seem to eliminate the need to "Should I use this unit now or use this later" feeling. And OP fire is pretty cool. Ive only played one game of each but LnL so far seems to have a lot more chrome, but LnL is easier for me to pick up because so many games are in this format.

LNL Op Fire (edited)
Attacker sums firepower and adds a die roll
Defender sums available terrain modifiers and his die roll.

Both results are compared and when the attacker total is higher, the difference is used for a Morale Check of the defender.

BoB Op Fire
Do I have Morale to do anything? Roll a check.
Roll 1 die, ROLL LOW! Subtract terrain mods etc, and get FP = or lower than your own.

I think BOH has quite a few advantages..for the moment
More expansions
More players
More games available in the same base ruleset
A familiarity that may make it easier to get to the table

BOB's advantages seem to be
Great interation between units
Ruleset is short, but unlike anything Ive ever seen (oddly enough the morale checks seem vaguely familiar from some Napoleonic games Ive played)
Short scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles, LnL firefight works this way:

Both results are compared and when the attacker total is higher, the difference is used for a Morale Check of the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
I read BoH rulebook (first edition) and ... @_@ .... still do not have chance to play it yet.

Now Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles comes out, do you think BoB is easier than BoH, from the learning point of view?

Thx

It may be helpful for you to check out this review I wrote over in the BoB forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/728052/comparing-bob-to-comb...

I don't get to Band of Heroes until the comments section, but I do mention it. Suffice to say that I think BoB is a notably better design, but I have less experience with LnL than I do the other systems, so factor that in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannes wrote:
Charles, LnL firefight works this way:

Thanks. I figured I would screw that up (was going from memory)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very detailed description of BoB...

With respect to BoH, though, I was wondering about your criticism of no terrain chart as my versions had them. Did Ver. 1 of BoH not have the terrain chart included?

I guess I don't find the Leader/Hero mechanism to be that bad. In some games it's very restrictive (Panzer Grenadier, for example) but that's by choice. While leaders help, they're not required in order to do something... anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:

With respect to BoH, though, I was wondering about your criticism of no terrain chart as my versions had them. Did Ver. 1 of BoH not have the terrain chart included?

Yes, there is a terrain chart, but that is one without the terrain symbols on the corresponding description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
dean_1230 wrote:

Yes, there is a terrain chart, but that is one without the terrain symbols on the corresponding description.

The version of the chart I have has examples of each terrain type along the bottom, hence my confusion as to why this was an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same Referance chart with pictures of all the terrain types. CoH and CC:E also have this the only one that dose not have a picture referance of the terrain is BoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.