Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am brand new to this website, so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I would love some suggestions for two play/solo games. I love to play games. My wife does not share my passion. I was hoping that someone could guide me to some great solo games, and some two player games that my wife might enjoy. Here is what I have so far:

Carcassone
Dominion
Citadels
Stone Age
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
Bohnanza
Wings of War
Lost Cities (Cards)
Settlers of Catan

I play Pandemic solo with some good success. I just got my wife into Citadels and Dominion.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many other cooperative games, most of which work great with 2, and most of which work well solo. Two examples:
Forbidden Island - Mechanics similar to Pandemic, but simpler. The game has quite a different feel.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Comparable to Pandemic, but I like FP:FR a bit better, for a variety of reasons.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a nice light (but not featherweight) dice game that has a solo option.

Jaipur is a card game on a comparable level to Lost Cities that is popular with casual gamers and couples. Not solo-able.

I haven't played it, but I have read that Rivals for Catan has some of the Catan flavor in a 2p card game. (Probably not solo-able).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i wish Rivals could be played solo (or its earlier incarnation which i have all the expansions to, including one self made one). really love that game.

i would offer the suggestion of Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League which is actually a good kosmos 2 player. there is an official solo version of it as well which i play a lot. quick and fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest
Santiago de Cuba
Café International: Das Kartenspiel
for 2-player games. Both are nice games for 45-60 minutes.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site!

I'm guessing there will be lots of games that you will like. That won't be a problem.

What do think it is about the games your wife likes? That may help find other games that would work well for both of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo..
My favourite solo games are:

Ghost Stories
Defenders of the Realm
Mage Knight Board Game
Race for the Galaxy with Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm

Admittedly RFtG is played using the Keldon AI software now instead of my previously owned real copy.

The other solo gaming I get is from my iPad2 with:
Reiner Knizia's Tigris and Euphrates
Neuroshima Hex!
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign: Omens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

+1 on the Forbidden Island suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
Try this:

The Best Games for 2 Players

Also:

Get on Yucata!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maja Stanislawska
Finland
VANTAA
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG

I give thumbsup to Carcassonne. This one is great and with a tweak you can play it solo (I did blush).

I'd also recommend Jaipur. It's been received very well by my female non-gaming friends.

Now some solo possibilities

If you like to challenge yourself while playing solo, I'd recommend Le Havre and Agricola - two brilliant games with lots of replayability. There are chances your wife will also get to like Agricola especially if you buy a version with proper sheep, wild boar and cows instead of just wooden cubes.

(the nice sheep from Agricola shown on the left, standard cubes on the right)

With your wife you could possibly play just the family version of Agricola. Several of my friends who did not care about games at all fell in love with this one.

I have no experience teaching Le Havre to non gamers.

Good luck and have lots of fun gaming this year meeplemeeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
This too: Yet Another Solitaire Games List - My Comments/Ratings on the Ones I've Played (not mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verhaevert
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of in the same situation as you are.
So games I introduced and found my wife liking them are :

Lost cities (an all time favorite)
The road to canterbury
Mr Jack
Kamisado
Confusion : espionage and deception in the cold war
Qwuirkle

Just some suggestions most of them don't have a solo option, sorry for that.

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
+1 Ghost Stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remebered another 2-player-game I like a lot:
Ebbe und Flut
A nice little game for 30-45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same position as the OP.

The following board games have been hits with my (non-gamer) wife (in order of her preference):

- Carcassonne (aka "little bonhommes")
- Forbidden Island (played this for the first time last night and drawing all the Water Rise! cards really brought out her trucker mouth)
- Hey, That's My Fish! (aka "penguins")
- Catan Card Game
- San Juan
- Mr. Jack Pocket

I've found that shorter, tactical games that don't have to be cutthroat work best.

Many other games on the shelf for new options, but I plan to next introduce her to Pandemic, Survive: Escape from Atlantis! and Stone Age in the future.

Re solo games, I'm fond of Friday and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
Onirim is a great solo game that also plays well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys like Lost Cities, try out Keltis and its expansion, only in german but available via BGG marketplace and ebay. It is very similar feel to Lost Cities but more involved, or you could try the American "version" Lost Cities board game.
Survive is also a good one.
If you get all the Dominion expansions that makes for a lot of gaming and variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
+1 to Forbidden Island

Pretty good replayability (~12 plays under my belt) and my fiance, who is not a gamer, loves it.

She usually requests the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Ghost Stories

also check out Elder Sign

i enjoy playing it solo. sometimes the wife jumps in and takes control of one of my characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all really nice 2p (and some of them play more) games. Be sure you know how to play before introducing a new game to her. I found that 'filler' games were a great way to ease my non gamer husband and adult son into the hobby:

Airlines Europe-Alan Moon's masterpiece gateway (and more!) game of stocks. Collect stocks and buy licenses in airlines to drive up the price of those you own.

Biblios-filler type-short set collection, auction game, simple to learn, addictive to play! For a 2p game, a turn consists of looking at the top 3 cards of the deck one at a time and deciding whether to keep it, give it to your opponent, or put it in the auction pile. 2nd half of the game consists of going through the auction pile and bidding on those.

Finca-I think this one is one I would highly recommend due to the fact that it's just been reprinted, is easy to learn right out of the box, has beautiful components, and the rondel mechanism gives it a fun factor especially if you haven't come across it in games before. It's quite satisfying and fun to play. Collect the beautiful fruit bits and deliver them to the fincas! One of our faves.

+1 to Jaipur-another pretty game, just for 2p, set collection, fun.

Metropolys-Area control, auction mechanic, scales from 2-4, extremely simple rules set. Each player has 2 secret objectives. You try to maneuver your opponent into allowing you to claim the spaces you want. Each has buildings numbered 1-13. A turn goes like this: You place building #1 on a space, she places #2 on one next to yours, you place #13 on one that you REALLY want next to hers. You 'win' that space since she has no building higher than 13. You each take back any buildings besides the one that 'won'. But now she still has her #13 and your highest number left is #12. Lots of fun!

Palazzo-A bit like Alhambra (another good gateway game!) but IMO more fun. Trying to build palaces floor by floor. There is a simple but effective auction mechanic that works well for 2-4.

Ra: The Dice Game-One of our most played games, because it is quick, fun/addictive, and we find that the more we play the more we 'see' in this fun filler. It really looks confusing at first but if you've played Yahtzee then you'll be familiar with the basic idea of rolling sets of dice. This is much more than Yahtzee, however.

+1 to Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age-another dice based game that's fun. I love the production of this one with the wooden dice.

Thurn and Taxis-another route building game, a bit like Ticket to Ridesome say, but quieter with little interaction. The satisfaction and fun lies in being able to build your postal route across Germany. We like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Finca!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oceania is a quick 1-2 player game.

Check out Utopian Rummy for a PnP 2-player game. Continuing on the PnP front, take a look at The d6 Shooters and Utopia Engine.

I really love playing The Hanging Gardens with 2. Check out the Kosmos two-player series as well. Lots of options there (some of which have already been mentioned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Nas
Netherlands
Middelburg
Zeeland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I enjoy playing solo most are:

Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Wrath of Ashardalon
Gears of War (my current solo boardgame of choice)

Honorable mention: Arkham Horror (excellent but a bit to long)

Also there's lots of solo rules around for non-solo games... (Welcome to Geekdom )
I particularly enjoy: Runebound, Memoir '44 and Heroscape solo.

P.S. - 1 Forbidden Island (= bland Pandamic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thank you to all who replied. I did not expect such a great response so quickly. I have found that once my wife figures out how the game works, she really likes it. Her Favorite is Citadels, which in turn is my favorite since I get to play it the most. She enjoys Dominion, but I keep using the same cards so she will not get overwhelmed with all the other options. I hope some of these new suggestions will spark her interest!! I am open for any other suggestions, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
She enjoys Dominion, but I keep using the same cards so she will not get overwhelmed with all the other options. I hope some of these new suggestions will spark her interest!! I am open for any other suggestions, Thanks!

With her permission, you might try replacing ONE of the cards you have been using with ONE new type of card. If that goes well, over time, you could gently get her familiar with all the cards (one new one at at a time). Only introduce a new card after she is fully comfortable with the previous new one.

That assumes you would prefer some variety, and that she would be ok with variety as long as she is not thrown into a situation with lots of unfamiliar cards.

+1 Ra: The Dice Game, by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
Wow, thank you to all who replied. I did not expect such a great response so quickly.

Unlike typical discussion boards, you'll probably find BGG to be one of the most mature, established and helpful communities around.

Enjoy your stay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.