Subject: Active Quest vs. Active Location? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Thomas
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am wondering if cards that say "place a progress token on the active location" place a progress token on a quest card if there currently is no traveled to location. Basically are the terms active quest, and active location interchangable?

I suppose a clarification on the inverse would be handy as well. If a card says "place a token on the active quest" and there is a traveled to location do those tokens go on the location or the quest card?

Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest is quest and location is location.

General rule of thumb do exactly what the card says and nothing else. I've also done some "over thinking" in the past and it's always been wrong. Just do what the card says and nothing else and you will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only card I know of that talks about putting a progress token on the active location is Lorien Guide:
Lorien Guide wrote:
Response: After Lorien Guide commits to a quest, place 1 progress token on the active location.

If there is no active location then this does nothing. You are not allowed to use it to put progress tokens on the quest card.

I don't know of any cards that specifically mention the "active quest". In general, if there is an active location then *anything* that would put progress tokens on the quest card puts them on the active location instead. For example, if there is an active location then both Legolas and Blade of Gondolin put progress tokens on the active location instead of of the "current quest" or the "current stage".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
Quest is quest and location is location.

General rule of thumb do exactly what the card says and nothing else. I've also done some "over thinking" in the past and it's always been wrong. Just do what the card says and nothing else and you will be fine.

This is a case where that reasoning doesn't work. Take for example, Legolas or the Blade of Gondolin. They specifically say to put progress tokens on the quest card but if there is an active location you are supposed to put the tokens on the active location instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Active Location, ability like Lorien Guide (Response: After Lorian Guide commits to a quest, place 1 progress token on the active location.) is wasted and does nothing.

Abilities placing progress tokens (are there any that say put directly on the quest?) put them on the Active Location if there is one, it has to be cleared before any can go on the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Thomas
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool, that's exactly how we played it, but I wasn't 100% sure it was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
An active location is part of the quest. But a quest is not part of the active location. Per the rules:

Quote:
Instead, an active location acts as a buffer for the
currently revealed quest card. Any progress tokens
that would be placed on a quest card are instead placed
on the active location.
If a location ever has as many
progress tokens as it has quest points, that location is
considered explored and is discarded from play.

To Dam, BitJam listed the two cards in the core game that place on the Quest (instead of specifying just a location): Legolas and Blade of Gondolin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.