Subject: First time. Not sure if I did everything right. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
flerben blerben
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I ordered 2nd edition and played tonight. I've been scouring the rules all week before I got it and I feel reasonably comfortable with the game. I played FP and got within a few steps of the crack before I lost due to a military victory. I just had some concerns and questions.

1. I know you can activate and send races to war as the FP, but there are a lot of races. Is it common to activate and send all races to war during a regular game? I'm sure it varies, but I only got my elves activated and hardly had any offensive military conflicts during the game.

2. I was two steps from the crack and only had 3 corruption from a tile pull. I didn't sacrifice any companions either, and had 5 in the group. Is this common, or did my opponent just get a shitty draw/rolls.

3. The rules say that if you draw an eye on the final track, you have to take damage in the amount of dice in the hunt box. That seems really strong, no?

Overall I enjoyed it but I had a nagging suspicion that we were playing wrong the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Note that a nation is also activated when any unit of that nation is attacked, or when enemy army crosses that nations border.
Also, a nation advances towards war whenever an army is attacked or a settlement (town/city/stronghold) is captured. Therefore the Shadow player would usually do some of the work for you
However, it's not that rare to see some nations (the North and the Dwarves, mostly) take no part in the armed conflict.

2. Probably bad rolls - hard to know more without a description of the hunts. He also could have put more eyes in the hunt, since that's limited to the number of companions in the fellowship.

3. Yes, another reason to place more eyes when the fellowship is in Mordor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
whitey9 wrote:
1. I know you can activate and send races to war as the FP, but there are a lot of races. Is it common to activate and send all races to war during a regular game? I'm sure it varies, but I only got my elves activated and hardly had any offensive military conflicts during the game.

This depends on the strategies applied by the players. In some games no FP Nations except the ones targeted by the Shadow advances ot war, in other all Nations can be at war.

Remember:

A Nation is activated when:

* An Army containing units of that Nation is attacked.
* A region of that Nation is entered by an enemy Army.
* The Fellowship is declared in a City or Stronghold of that Nation.
* When a Companion (capable of activating that Nation) ends (or is placed in the case of Strider being crowned as Aragorn in a passive Gondor) his movment in one of its Cities or Strongholds.

A Nation is advanced on the Political Track:

* Every time an Army containing units of that Nation is attacked (one move on the track for each Action die used by the opposing player to initiate a battle).
* Every time a Settlement of that Nation is captured by the opponent.

whitey9 wrote:
2. I was two steps from the crack and only had 3 corruption from a tile pull. I didn't sacrifice any companions either, and had 5 in the group. Is this common, or did my opponent just get a shitty draw/rolls.

This can vary extremely from game to game depending on the Hunt results, the strategies applied, Event cards played (and their outcome), and so on...

whitey9 wrote:
3. The rules say that if you draw an eye on the final track, you have to take damage in the amount of dice in the hunt box. That seems really strong, no?

You played it correctly, inside Mordor the Ring is powerful, but remember that the Shadow player cannot alloacte more dice than there are Companions still in the Fellowship (but he can always allocate at least one EYE as Gollum shows once everyone else is gone), and he any EYE rolled during the Action Roll will still end up in the Hunt Box, as will all FP dice used to move the Fellowship during the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
To avoid damage in the crack, I like to unload the companions before starting the final run on the ring. (so they can't load the box with hunt dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flerben blerben
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the FP were 3 moves on the track and the hunt revealed them, wouldn't the FP just choose to place the Fellowship in Goblin's Gate and not Moria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he can. And it will be the best move in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagger777 wrote:

Another newbie here- how is it that the fellowship will ever end up in Moria, then? Won't the free peoples player just always declare the position somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going through Moria is the fastest (shortest) route to Mordor, sometimes an additional Hunt tile (for being revealed passing through a Shadow Stronghold) can be worth the shorter route.

Have a look here: http://www.aresgames.eu/2355

It is my article on getting the Fellowshpi to Moria over at Ares' (the publisher's) website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lykouragh wrote:
Dagger777 wrote:

Another newbie here- how is it that the fellowship will ever end up in Moria, then? Won't the free peoples player just always declare the position somewhere else?

Declaring position in Moria is "unhealthly". 1st hunt tile for successful hunt, 2nd for stronghlod (another one if Balrog is in Moria). Next move is from Moria of coure, so after successful hunt: 1st hunt tile for hunt, 2nd for stronghold etc.
It is good to sacrifiece Gandalf the Gray at the begining, but in this case Strider can be killed (and additional die will be lost till next game). Risky.
When you'r going through Goblin's Gate you have 11 moves to Mordor (only 1 move more, than trough mines of Moria).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Note that you only get tiles for shadow stronghold if you're revealed going into, out of, or through, and not if you declare.
So it could be just one additional tile and one or two rerolls:
You're revealed, you place fellowship in Moria, eat an additional tile (which could be an eye, and so harmless), then you hide and move once on the next turn, and if not revealed again, can declare on the other side of Moria on turn X+2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.