Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Power of Survival rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi again chaps,

Having played now 10 games we are having some serious discussion about the "winner takes all" nature of getting the Survival Card. This can be a major issue in the mid and late games since it is a very high scorer when there are 6+ tundra tiles (21 pts).
There are 2 tactics to counter this one is to ensure there is a community awareness of who is dominating the tundra. The other, as happens in most of our games, is that the battle for the tundra becomes a 2 player struggle.
The one that loses, even by just one species, also loses all his investment and this can have knock-on effects elsewhere (he's not scoring on other tiles). The main complaint being that unlike all other terrain there is no scoring benefit for coming second in tundra survival.
Have any player groups, or you Chad, considered scoring the tundra bonus vps in a more graduated manner?
Thanks
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our gaming group there are only two main variations:
1. One player to dominate the tundra all the way. This is the bad situation, but in some way mitigated by final scoring.
2. And the usual situation where two animals fight for survival and some itsy-bitsy spider accidentally kills the advantage or some cruel bird kills the cube of advantage for the winning competitor. So, nobody gets the penguin card at all. This really helps to level the odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:

1. One player to dominate the tundra all the way. This is the bad situation, but in some way mitigated by final scoring.

Yea this.
You can get decent Survival points throughout the game but those tiles only bring in 1pt each in the final scoring round.

It is, however, well worth preventing a player from dominating too much tundra throughout the game. Reducing the number of Glaciations that take place is a good way to stop it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Reducing the number of Glaciations that take place is a good way to stop it as well.

After some initial wastelands, well placed glaciation can remove elements that are left inbetween tundras. Some penguins are very unhappy about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:
Fwing wrote:
Reducing the number of Glaciations that take place is a good way to stop it as well.

After some initial wastelands, well placed glaciation can remove elements that are left inbetween tundras. Some penguins are very unhappy about that.

Yes but foodless tundra is just a free domination cone for the Mammals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:

How so? "Any species occupying a tile where its animal matches exactly zero elements is said to be 'endangered'. Endangered species ... cannot claim dominance of a tile." (p7)

Just because a mammal can keep an endangered species alive doesn't make it any more or less endangered for the purposes of this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Fwing wrote:

How so? "Any species occupying a tile where its animal matches exactly zero elements is said to be 'endangered'. Endangered species ... cannot claim dominance of a tile." (p7)

Just because a mammal can keep an endangered species alive doesn't make it any more or less endangered for the purposes of this rule.

Oops. Dont mind me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yup this happened in my last game, i think there were 3 tundra that had no elements surrounding them.

so I could only get like 21 instead of 45. (something along those lines)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find in our games that Tundra wars break out from time to time to stop any run away effects. This reduces the points scored considerably. If someone is allowed to score too highly it is the fault of the other players really.

I like the fact it is all or nothing because everyone then has a good motive to attack those threatening to get a good score on the survival card. Any graded system could lead to a cosy relationship with 2 players who then grab all the points throughout the game.

It also makes playing the Glaciation Action something to be carefully considered. It is quite usual in our games for this action not to be chosen for that reason. Having too many tundra tiles gives short term advantages at the expense of potentially long term adverse effects if someone is able to dominate them. I see the Survival card as a good balancing mechanism. Trying to have a scaled scoring system would eliminate a lot of the interesting game play elements I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks all.
I think that the awareness is the key here. Also, as the view of how best to play matures in our group, especially with the great end-game scoring mechanic, I can see now why this is the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We see a lot of multiple parties competing for Survival, but more often two main parties, with several rounds of tied presence (and thus no Survival card,) often with a third party coming in and doing the tie-ing up of things. Everyone is well aware the tundra by now. Sad, as this was the first strategy that got me a win, and it doesn't work anymore in my group. It just another thing for us to make sure we are spending APs to inhibit others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.