Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "new rules" part made me interested but then I read it will be compatible with the old cards. I don't think this is a good thing. I hope I'm not right.

I think Thunderstone is too cumbersome compared to new modern deck-builders. One thing I really dislike is the way defeating monsters work (that they end up in your deck). I really hope at least this part will be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like this expansion is aiming to be... epic.

(pregnant pause)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadows Light
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmb
Um... I doubt that will EVER change as that is the essence of deckbuilder style games. The cards that give you victory points/conditions are normally of no help to get you more cards with victory points/conditions.

Actually, ThunderStone's monsters *do* help get you more cards to help get more monsters. Some have direct in dungeon effects, they all have gold for the village and some heroes and spells actually gain combat bonuses from monsters in your hand.

In fact, if monsters did not go into your hand the games would become quite boring. Today, on Yucata I whittled my deck down to two level 3 warriors, 3 fireballs and a short sword. If no monsters came into my hand I would be able to kill pretty much anything every round as I'd get those exact cards every round.

I like ThunderStone as it is... now I am just curious to see what is new ;-)

And when is the damn FaceBook/Smartphone app being released???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd honestly figured this was to influence you to continue visiting town from time to time. By comparison, Resident Evil, where the monsters score but aren't put into your deck, you basically fine-tune your deck down to just a handful of cards and execute over and over again. I often play my entire deck in Resident Evil for consistent damage. While the journey to get there is fun, the game basically degenerates.

Thunderstone I feel does drag a bit as you enhance your deck to the changing threats coming out of the dungeon. I personally find that amazing but I have seen that some tire of it quickly. I love it though, so I guess I hope that this aspect of the game doesn't change too much

But I haven't read the new rules so it is all speculation at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:
It looks like this expansion is aiming to be... epic.

(pregnant pause)

I think it almost has to be. The hint that there is a Village board is telling...

I'd be extremely excited for the Advance cards to be designed around Epic play (more "us vs. the dungeon" set of cards and rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, the addition of monsters to your deck is a useful mechanic. It makes the dungeon increase in difficulty as you go deeper without having to arrange the dungeon deck, but it does so unevenly so that it's easier for lagging players to catch up.

It also changes the pace of the game according to the number of players. A 2-player game will slow down more than a 5-player game.

And there's nothing stopping you from trashing low-VP monsters after harvesting the easy kills for XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion looks a great addition to the all the previous thunderstones, with new looks, new frames on cards. I liked their move for that.

I don't think this will be fully compatible with the previous thunderstone with those new looks on cards. Militia and polearm proves that, they are different from the original.

So this Advance will be a standalone like the Dragonspire was.

What new rules will bring, i wonder if they change the way how we can fill the Dungeon hall. I would like to see the new rule on filling dungeon hall by placing monsters face down to rise the danger of winning or losing. Maybe a new card Wounded (like Disease) when you lose the fight on dungeon hall. The wounded card could make us discard 1 card from our hand and the diseases could be done to reduce the strength, not the attack.

Edit: The 1 rank of dungeon hall, the monster is face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters also provide money in the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.