Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've seen this proposed, but has anyone toyed with the idea of having players bid for their starting side, a la Twilight Struggle? I'm not sure if the currency should be money or something else - VPs probably doesn't work since the issues with British dominance lead to absolute victories.

Anyway, just a thought - sorry if it's already come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great idea, and I expect we'd see something like this in tournaments. In other games the process is pretty simple--players roll dice to determine who offers the first bid. That player bids a whole number (including zero) to play a particular side. The opponent can either accept or bid a higher number...this continues until one player accepts.

Just off the cuff, I think I'd bid for the brits, though I'd probably offer very little, like 2-3 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I don't think I've seen this proposed, but has anyone toyed with the idea of having players bid for their starting side, a la Twilight Struggle? I'm not sure if the currency should be money or something else - VPs probably doesn't work since the issues with British dominance lead to absolute victories.

Anyway, just a thought - sorry if it's already come up.

It's already been mentioned earlier, before rules change, but... Are British still overpowerded? I don't mean slight imbalance (it'll always be the case in such a game) but I've seen someone mentioning another "Hammer" under new rules and I quickly closed that page to not read about details of that strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justnord wrote:
I think it's a great idea, and I expect we'd see something like this in tournaments. In other games the process is pretty simple--players roll dice to determine who offers the first bid. That player bids a whole number (including zero) to play a particular side. The opponent can either accept or bid a higher number...this continues until one player accepts.

Just off the cuff, I think I'd bid for the brits, though I'd probably offer very little, like 2-3 points.

As mentioned in the original post, bidding for victory points doesn't make any sense as with the (neo) Hammer strategies, the Brits go for a straight military victory by winning a Quebec siege.

An idea might be to bid for the starting hands + some other advantages as free cards or free fortifications...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bid for start cards variant proposed a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
New player, but I get the feeling bidding money would be a decent idea. France starting with 10+ money might make for a very different experience/balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the H.H. strategy dependent on the Governor now?

If so, players could bid on how many turns they'll wait before the Governor is available to the British to use .... ala, I'll wait 4 turns before I'm able to take the Gov, will you outbid me by waiting 5?

Or, if the Gov is not the key, players could bid for how many turn the Brits will wait before able to use their reserve action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking... If there's still an unbeatable British strategy and its major cause is their extremely efficient money engine, how about introducing a tax to slow it down a little? Like: every turn or every other turn you must pay a certain amount to the Crown. If you don't want to or you are not able to pay, Home Support and/or Governor can't be used this turn or can't be used until the debt is paid off (the last one would require some accounting though). That would slow down the British rapid military expansion.

I still hope the neo-Hammer is just a neo-Hoax ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
solkan1 wrote:
I was just thinking... If there's still an unbeatable British strategy and its major cause is their extremely efficient money engine, how about introducing a tax to slow it down a little? Like: every turn or every other turn you must pay a certain amount to the Crown. If you don't want to or you are not able to pay, Home Support and/or Governor can't be used this turn or can't be used until the debt is paid off (the last one would require some accounting though). That would slow down the British rapid military expansion.

I imagine that would get nixed for thematic reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I imagine that would get nixed for thematic reasons.

Taxation is not far from being thematic I believe. It's not like the big money generated by the colony would be not of interest to the Crown.

Or maybe even a simpler solution, to limit money engine: if you generate more money than a certain amount during one turn, you have to pay the surplus over this amount to the Crown. Could be applied to both sides of conflict (not necessarily with the same limit). To depict a wealthy colony being money-drained by the mother country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
British colonies' being taxed for defense is very "thematic". If you read Three Victories and a Defeat, an excellent history of the wars of the 18th Century, it will come into focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am in the camp that the game still needs fixing, I do think that it might be possible for French to hold Quebec. In these cases, the British would still win, but it's by ending the game under other circumstances, and scoring the game by VP. I've had games that were pretty close, VP-wise. Perhaps I could have run up the score a little bit more to cover a high bid, but I'm not sure.

My concern would be how to make this game playable in a tournament setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Horvath
United States
san ramon
California
flag msg tools
How about limiting how many cards the Brits can keep in Reserve? That's an important part of British play, that is granular, and easy to keep track of. Has anyone tried that? Do you think three would be a sweet spot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Horvo wrote:
How about limiting how many cards the Brits can keep in Reserve? That's an important part of British play

Not really. It's mostly where you sock the governor now. Occasionally, it can come in handy to station military, but it's not very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.