Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player with the highest population... (small spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My whole group has been complaining about what an awful addition the event deck is to the game, with its plethora of "rich get richer" cards. But after dealing with it for five games, I JUST realized that we've probably been handling them wrong. Whenever an event came up that gave some sort of benefit to the player with the highest population, we would all count up our countries, then add the value of our cities, just like counting for troops at start of turn (minus the divide by three step). This inevitably gave the benefit to the jerk who has managed to get Australia on lock down. But when mustering troops, doesn't it say to add up your countries PLUS your population? Meaning "population" is JUST the value of your cities? Meaning those cards aren't supposed to give even more help to the guy who's already dominating the map, but rather, to encourage fierce competition for control of the comparatively few cities on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, population is only cities, and a tie means no one gets the benefit. Everybody who's not Australia Guy should have a vested interest in putting cities places other than Australia or Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think about it, it also makes sense mechanically that it just counts cities, because if you also counted territories, you could potentially have somebody with the most territories but no cities, and that person wouldn't be able to benefit from a lot of the event card things (e.g. place X troops on one of your cities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris LeMasters
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I was playing it wrong, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, we played it wrong our first game, and only caught the correction when re-reading the rules. I think these events are all really cool, as it creates a different axis worth competing on. Having the highest population is pretty rewarding, which offsets the guys you have to sacrifice to get those places in the first place. That said, I still prefer to let my opponents do the initial pacification, and then take it from them! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
amwest wrote:
Yeah, we played it wrong our first game, and only caught the correction when re-reading the rules. I think these events are all really cool, as it creates a different axis worth competing on. Having the highest population is pretty rewarding, which offsets the guys you have to sacrifice to get those places in the first place. That said, I still prefer to let my opponents do the initial pacification, and then take it from them! devil

Expanding into a city only to have control taken away by an Event card is a huge pain though. I have significantly slowed my expansions after being burned by that a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.