10 Posts

Chaos in the Old World» Forums » General

Subject: Figure Defence Value of 1 - What is the point!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you only need to score hits equal to a figure's defence value to kill it, what on Earth is the point of figures with a defence value of 1? As that is the same as a figure with defence zero. I appreciate some of the figures can be upgraded to defence value of two, but not all, and as some of the upgrades simply upgrade e.g. cultist to defence 1, that is kinda of pointless isn't it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can increase or decrease defense values. With the expansion you can also double them.

So, it does make some sense at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WilliamWills wrote:
If you only need to score hits equal to a figure's defence value to kill it, what on Earth is the point of figures with a defence value of 1? As that is the same as a figure with defence zero. I appreciate some of the figures can be upgraded to defence value of two, but not all, and as some of the upgrades simply upgrade e.g. cultist to defence 1, that is kinda of pointless isn't it?

Thanks

Because you may have more than 1 hit to distribute, you need to know how many are taken up by these lesser units. Say you have 4 hits to distribute and there are 3 units with defense 1, 1 with Defense 2, and one with Defense 3. You then know how you can kill them: a 1 and a 3, or a 2 and two 1's.

Having 0 defense would mean you could remove them without rolling dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, but could you clarify - "Having 0 defense would mean you could remove them without rolling dice."

Surely you can't remove figures without rolling? If you had two figures, one with defence zero and one defence one. You have one figure iwth one dice, you role a hit, are you sayign you can remove both those figures? Seems a little daft if so?

Cheers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WilliamWills wrote:
Thanks, but could you clarify - "Having 0 defense would mean you could remove them without rolling dice."

Surely you can't remove figures without rolling? If you had two figures, one with defence zero and one defence one. You have one figure iwth one dice, you role a hit, are you sayign you can remove both those figures? Seems a little daft if so?

Cheers!!

That's my point. That is why they don't have a value of zero. So saying "a defense of 1 is the same as a defense of 0" is not true. You have to have a defense of a non-zero positive number so that you don't get "free hits." Having a defense of 1 actually reduces the available hits you can distribute.

Or perhaps I don't understand your original post and where you were going with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Sadly he beat me to this answer. Although his was said with much less sarcasm than I would have used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Right I get it, sorry I though somewhere I saw stats for defence zero online(I was researching rules before considering purchase so do not have everythign in front of me), hence why i was confused.
Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WilliamWills wrote:
Right I get it, sorry I though somewhere I saw stats for defence zero online(I was researching rules before considering purchase so do not have everythign in front of me), hence why i was confused.
Thanks for clearing that up!

I am not aware of anything that drops defense to zero. Cost can be dropped to zero.

The one card off the top of my head that reduces hits says: The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by one, to a minimum of 1.

So 1-defense is the minimum you can ever go for the reasons I outlined above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamWills wrote:

Thanks

It sounds like you're conflating the number of hits needed to kill a figure with the number you need to roll on the die to get a hit in the first place.

When you roll a die, you score a hit on a 4, 5, 6 (and roll again on a 6). Then, once you've figured out how many hits you have, you assign hits to figures to kill them, with the figure's defense being how many hits you need to assign to kill that figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Sadly he beat me to this answer. Although his was said with much less sarcasm than I would have used.

And much deserved.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.