Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, which version of the game do you prefer:

- red die and no dolphins
- blue dice and dolphins

Also, do you like the giant squid mini-expansion? Do you use the squids with or without whales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has to be the blue dice, the sea serpents moving 1 spot at a time with the red die is the downfall for me.
Also the dolphins don't bother me much.

As for the Squids, they add variety but are not a must but to answer your question if I use them I will use the whales also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet tried any of the variant rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play without dolphins and with squids. The dolphins generally don't do any good in our games and so they just felt useless. The squids are very funny, it's always nice to rip people out of a boat without sinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphin "blue dice" rules suck as is; some other threads exist with good suggestions how to modify.

Squid are fun, but not necessary. When we use them we use them with whales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like the blue dice with dolphins and squids. I don't like using any of them with new players. I prefer the "basic" game their first time playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banana Girl
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

We play with dolphins. I'm a risk-taker and often end up with swimmers because of it (thanks whales), so the dolphins come in handy.

I like the diving rules. The three other people I play Atlantis with prefer them too.

We played our first squid game yesterday. The whales hardly did anything, but the squids did make the game more interesting- another player used a squid to bump off my meeple on my boat when I was right next the island! I ended up coming 2nd. Had my meeple survived, I'd have been 1st or join 1st!
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with Squids and Whales and Dolphins. On the Dolphins note, the best way we've found how to play it is a combination of both Dolphin rules. When you remove the land tile with the Dolphin, hold in hand and play that on your next turn, this avoid confusion. When you do play it before your movement turn, put a Dolphin with your swimmer you want to move, and move the 3 spaces. From now on just follow the rules of the Dolphin expansion.

Players in our games now are excited to receive the Dolphin land tile as opposed to Stronghold's original Dolphin rules in place.

GabrielGeek wrote:
Just out of curiosity, which version of the game do you prefer:

- red die and no dolphins
- blue dice and dolphins

Also, do you like the giant squid mini-expansion? Do you use the squids with or without whales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.