Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Braun
United States
Pawtucket
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference between these two? Which one should I get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno monteiro
Portugal
lisboa
lisboa - portugal
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Master set

1 - starter sets are out of print (are being reprinted right now)
2 - 6 armys in master set / 2 in each starter set
3 - a very nice board in master set / paper board in starter sets

(you will eventually buy them all - but if you need to start somwhere get the Master set)

BM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master Set gives you the most bang for your buck. It comes with six armies and a mounted board. The regular starter sets only come with two armies and a paper board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I read somewhere that the armies in the Starter sets were not as complex as those in the Master Set, and were therefore recommended for anyone new to the game/system. Any experienced players care to comment on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
brunomonteiro wrote:
Master set

1 - starter sets are out of print (are being reprinted right now)

the reprint must be available now. 20+ available at coolstuffinc.com

also, the faction decks in the master set are different from the starter factions decks and expansion faction decks. so it is not a compilation of the previously released games. you can see what's available at plaidhatgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the reprint must be available now. 20+ available at coolstuffinc.com

CLARIFICATION: The Starter Sets are what is being reprinted. CoolStuffInc has the Master Sets in stock, not the Starter Sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the armies in the Starter sets were not as complex as those in the Master Set, and were therefore recommended for anyone new to the game/system. Any experienced players care to comment on this?

From a "learning the game" perspective, I think that this is probably the case, but as that's how I learned the game before going on to other Factions, I can't say with any certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:

Yes and no.

The Shadow Elves in the Master Set were actually one of the first two decks ever designed. They changed a bit in testing, but they've got a rather classic/simple feel. The Mountain Vargath, Sand Goblins, and Benders are similarly easy to understand, in my opinion. The Swamp Orcs and Deep Dwarves have a bit more to keep track of, but we're still talking about a fairly easy game to learn here.

The Cave Goblins in one of the two Starter Sets have the most complicated events to date, textually. Most kids under the age of 10 simply can't play them properly without constant reminders, and the same thing can happen to adults on their first game.

Get the Master Set if you can; it's the best value, giving 6 decks and a harder board for the usual price of 6 factions and no board, or maybe 4 decks and 2 paper boards via the old starter route.

While the Phoenix Elves/ Tundra Orcs starter is great for new players just learning, it's also the blandest introduction to the game, mechanically. The Guild Dwarves/ Cave Goblins starter is bland thematically (very stock portrayals of dwarves and goblins) but more varied mechanically. It is my sense that these two sets were grouped for thematic and story-based reasons moreso than usability concerns - I could be wrong about that, since I didn't start playtesting until long after these were out the door and the FK/Vanguard decks were pretty much done.

The Master Set shows more of the strengths of the game since it comes with 6 factions right in one box. That's 15 match-ups right there, while buying one starter only gives you 1, and both starters (4 factions total) would give you 6 match-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased pretty much everything that Plaid Hat put out on this game, chronologically. So I bought the original two box sets, which are great if you can find them.
They are easily portable, which is nice, but the fold-up paper mat is not very satisfying. I bought the mounted board as soon as it was available and never went back to the paper mats. I have all of the races that were sold separately, and recently bought the Master set.
If there is an increase in the complexity of the newer races, I haven't noticed that it makes a huge difference in gameplay. All of the decks are good.

The Master set will give you the most bang for your buck, since it includes 6 races and a mounted board. That's my recommendation.

This is a fantastic game, no matter which version you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.