Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious, did anyone have the opportunity to play both Horse Fever and Long Shot? Any ideas on how they compare? Pretty different, same stuff, worth to have both of them, one is better than the other and so on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kiko wrote:
I'm curious, did anyone have the opportunity to play both Horse Fever and Long Shot?

Yes, someone has. Both are included in Scott Nicholson's batch of quick reviews over here: Board Games with Scott 068 – Horse Racing Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaminder Dhillon
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer Horse Fever. The main reason for this is because the odds actually mean something (or so I've been lead to believe). In Longshot, the horses have different odds, but in reality, they have the same chances since it's just a roll on a d10. While in Horse Fever, the cards which set the movement each round for the horses are based on the odds. Yes, sometimes the horse with the worse odds moves more, but from what I was told (no, I haven't checked...yet) the better the odds of the horse, the better the odds of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shaminder-

In first edition there's that large (starred?) subset of evenly weighted cards (party game cards) -- it's inclusion probably throws off the actual odds quite a bit. I imagine that you could take out that subset (not included in 2nd ed.) and the horses would run much more as the ranking suggests they should. Worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Seth and Shaminder. I'm not much into Scott's reviews, but it was good to get a glimpse at the game. Not really a comparison per se, but fair enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaminder Dhillon
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbierz wrote:
Shaminder-

In first edition there's that large (starred?) subset of evenly weighted cards (party game cards) -- it's inclusion probably throws off the actual odds quite a bit. I imagine that you could take out that subset (not included in 2nd ed.) and the horses would run much more as the ranking suggests they should. Worth a try.

I was not aware of this. I'll definitely check this out. Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Beougher
United States
Rockford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and although I like Long Shot well enough, I'd have to give Horse Fever a higher rating. To me, it's more fun (the designers included plenty of humor which I find appealing) and involves more interesting decisions. There's an element of luck in both games, but Long Shot seems much more random and also more difficult to catch the leader.

Even though both games share a horse racing theme, there are quite different in gameplay and would give you a totally different experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Curtis. I asked this question precisely because I was wondering if it would make sense to have them both (I already own Long Shot) and you cut to the chase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Thomas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games, but have traded Long Shot away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.