Mark B
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's a light gamer and if she thinks 7 wonders is a good game(she played it only once so far), will the icons in Race be too confusing for her? She enjoys other games like Dominion, Catan, and simple games like Desperadoes(aka Digging). We've tried other games like Civilization, Euro Rails, but we are finding out that long games are either not finished, or she becomes overwhelmed in the numerous things to keep track of.
. Thanks to BoardGameGeek, we're able to find games that are an hour long 2 @ most.
Out of the games that have already been purchased between friends, Race for the Galaxy is one that peeks my interest in my next purchase. What I like about the game is "random" or chosen phases of each round, the simple card spending, and the short time game play. But again, the numerous icons tend to question people's interest in the game.

What are your opinions? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teach her the base game only to begin with, and make sure you know the game before you teach it (eg see the gameplay example in the files section, video tutorials via the links, or Keldon's excellent AI implementation). If necessary, break the teaching process into stages (eg play 4 rounds just using phases I-III) - see prior forum posts on approaches other people have tried (eg teaching the phases backwards).

The icons aren't bad, it's just that they reflect the complexity of the game, which is significant.

I use the following breakdown when teaching...
* Cards are either developments (diamonds) or worlds (circles)
* Worlds are military (red) or civilian (black)
* Worlds are either grey or coloured
* Coloured worlds are either windfall (ring) or production (coloured in)

RftG offers considerable depth and heaps of variety in a short playtime, plus it's non-confrontational. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dominion and 7 wonders are good stepping stones to RftG. But it will be quite a step. You must prepare her a bit that it takes a few games to understand both the tactics and the iconography. I suggest you play a couple of turns (a full game maybe) with open hands and that you explain your choices of actions, so she gets an idea of what to do on her own

If it can give you hope, I succeeded with my fiancée.

Let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some tips:
I reinforce the fact that you will be using most of your cards as payment. If a card has extra text on the right side, I explain that it will best be used as payment the first times playing the game.

I play a first game to only six cards. This can take as long as a twelve card game when teaching. Then pause and digest, there is a lot going on. If it is going well, then do the same thing with a nine card game. Again, if it goes well, then expand to the full tableau.

I also give a free explore in the beginning turns to my opponent to make sure they have enough cards to play on their turn. I want them to learn different ways to get cards eventually, but learning the basic ways the game works is more important.

I make sure they use a starting hand - the small numbers in the corners. I explain how they could play each of those cards. For the next game, I will give them the same starting hand and go over it again - maybe they will make a different choice this time.

Judge how strong you want to play. Some opponents will be inspired to see a clever expert play, but most beginners don't want to be crushed in their final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion? Get hold of a copy of San Juan. It has no icons and not all that many unique powers, but the overall concepts of phase selection and spending cards to play others are the same as in RFTG. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got my wife to play Race if she hadn't played San Juan first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
Teach her the base game only to begin with, and make sure you know the game before you teach it (eg see the gameplay example in the files section, video tutorials via the links, or Keldon's excellent AI implementation). If necessary, break the teaching process into stages (eg play 4 rounds just using phases I-III) - see prior forum posts on approaches other people have tried (eg teaching the phases backwards).

The icons aren't bad, it's just that they reflect the complexity of the game, which is significant.

I use the following breakdown when teaching...
* Cards are either developments (diamonds) or worlds (circles)
* Worlds are military (red) or civilian (black)
* Worlds are either grey or coloured
* Coloured worlds are either windfall (ring) or production (coloured in)

RftG offers considerable depth and heaps of variety in a short playtime, plus it's non-confrontational. Best of luck!

fardoche wrote:
I think Dominion and 7 wonders are good stepping stones to RftG. But it will be quite a step. You must prepare her a bit that it takes a few games to understand both the tactics and the iconography. I suggest you play a couple of turns (a full game maybe) with open hands and that you explain your choices of actions, so she gets an idea of what to do on her own

If it can give you hope, I succeeded with my fiancée.

Let us know how it goes.

qwertymartin wrote:
My suggestion? Get hold of a copy of San Juan. It has no icons and not all that many unique powers, but the overall concepts of phase selection and spending cards to play others are the same as in RFTG. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got my wife to play Race if she hadn't played San Juan first.

All 3 have excellent ideas. I'll have to try them all, but for the moment, my friends do have San Juan. Before buying the new game, we'll have to see how my wife handles that one first. I sent my friends a message stating to add that game into the queue for choices this coming weekend.

knowing me, I'll probably buy the game anyways , since I'm such a Sci-Fi fan.

Thanks for your help everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves RftG. Sure, the iconography is daunting at first, but it really makes the game play faster as you become more familiar with it. Also, since the game is pretty non-confrontational, it's OK to ask for advice from each other while you learn the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned RFtG, and I find the reference cards to be very helpful in decoding the icons.

I've played two games, and probably no longer need it, but it is REALLY helpful and organized well for decoding the icons during your learning games.

San Juan could be a good stepping stone....BUT...while I like San Juan, I quickly found that it is not very good as a 2 player game. I won't give it away, but one of the main strategies (i.e., a big part of the game) is inferior in 2-player games. I'd recommend SJ as a 4-player game, and it is OK as a 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.