Hide
13 Posts

Warhammer Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game worth the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lemon potatoe
msg tools
Topic may sound weird, but due to the fact that this game is (in its complete version) ridiculously expensive on ebay etc. - is it worth the money?
I often read that it may be one of the best fantasy board games ever made, which made me curious since I love HeroQuest, Descent, D&D BGs and so on.

Do you think one should spend the money for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Only if you are a huge fan of that style game. I have owned (and sold on Ebay) the game, and yes, it is expensive.

Personally, I would not pay the price.

Odds are, if you wait a year or so Fantasy Flight Games will reprint it and you will be able to buy a very nice new version for around 75 bucks.

BUT, if you have the money to spare and LOVE dungeon crawlers, go ahead and buy a good copy. Be sure to ask lots of questions from the seller- you will want a complete copy in very good shape for the money being charged.

Is it worth it? That is a question only YOU can answer.

Some will say yes, some say no.

Sorry to be so vague, but that is the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve's right, it's very subjective. I bagged mine for £40 a few years ago and am delighted with it, but I wouldn't have paid silly money for a copy. It's a great game - the best of the 80s/90s dungeon crawlers - but it has aged when compared to the newer and more streamlined games.

That said, if you do still get a lot of mileage out of older games like HeroQuest it might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Only if you are a huge fan of that style game. I have owned (and sold on Ebay) the game, and yes, it is expensive.

Personally, I would not pay the price.

Odds are, if you wait a year or so Fantasy Flight Games will reprint it and you will be able to buy a very nice new version for around 75 bucks.

This is extremely unlikely as FFG does not have permission to make GW games that involve miniatures. So while you *might* get a Warhammer Quest-like game it would most likely involve tokens or cards. Personally given that FFG is just before releasing their second edition of Descent I would give a WQ game made by them a snowball's chance in hell of being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the time and the gumption - I can't believe I just used that word - you can build your own copy. Scans of the rules, tiles, cards, chits, etc. can be found on various websites and you can substitute miniatures from other games. However it's best to find someone in your general area who has the game and ask them to play to see if you really want to invest in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
All of you know what i'm going to say...

Best money i've ever spent. I remember two or three years ago someone asking the same question and my reply is the same. If you have the money, go for it. Get everything you can. While you're waiting for a reprint (like that poor fellow STILL is) you could have been playing and enjoying this great game!

The Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Warhammer Quest

Start with the Basic Game, move to the Advanced Game rules after you get a feel. Then check out all of the many resources online to continue enjoying new campaigns, house rules, and Warrior expansions. There are so many resources on line.

I just finished up my Outlaw revision from (the original is from Citadel Journal #33).

Warhammer Quest Customized
(submit a request to see the entire board)

Here is a list of all the expansions and supplements:

Warhammer Quest Wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth the current prices you see flying around?

No. At 100-150$ Id say yes. But double-tripple that. No base game is.

The basic co-op gm-less mode still beats the hell out of anything else out there still after all this time. Add on the advanced GM-less rules and things get exponentially more challenging to survive.

The game really comes into its own though if you have some of the other races collected. The game can draw from your collection to enhance play. But it is *NEVER* a must have.

That said though, I wouldnt advise getting the game unless you have at least a little bit of GW or miniatures units on hand to spice things up at some point.

I'd say wait and see if the price drops or GW reprints it. And if GW does reprint it. Expect it to be in the 100+ range for cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll say what I've said before to this question. I love the game to bits. It's the crown jewel of my board game collection. But part of that is that I developed an affection for the game 16 years ago.

Objectively it's still a good game, but it was only worth it for me to repurchase because when I got back into board games again, the lack of it in my collection created a hole. A hole formed from memories of having played it in the mid-90s.

It's people like me who drive the resale value of this game way, way up. So while it's a good game, it's questionable whether it's worth paying for other people's nostalgia if purchased at its current market price.

While there's no reason to expect a Fantasy Flight version of this game, due their to their licencing agreement with GW, there is a slim chance that Games Workshop may do a copy themselves as part of their recent trend towards one-offs (Space Hulk (2009) and Dreadfleet (2011)), but there's certainly no guarantees of that, and if it does happen, it's not likely to be soon. Rumour at this point is that the next one has high odds of being a new edition of Blood Bowl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lemonpotatoe wrote:
Topic may sound weird, but due to the fact that this game is (in its complete version) ridiculously expensive on ebay etc. - is it worth the money?
I often read that it may be one of the best fantasy board games ever made, which made me curious since I love HeroQuest, Descent, D&D BGs and so on.

Do you think one should spend the money for this game?

Well, it really depends entirely on personal taste, the game is sure pricey nowadays (an objective sign that maybe it´s really worth it?) I would definitely prefer a copy of WHQ over an xbx360 for example, damn it! I would even prefer a copy of WHQ over the 3 100 USD bills sitting on my dinner table, considering that every copy of WHQ packs itself almost 17 years of gaming history, something like that could never be taken away from a used copy, even trying to figure out who the original owner was is damn fun, left alone that I can play with a copy of WHQ better and it will surely provide more sustainable and lasting fun in comparison with 3 Franklins laying on my table, even though I know ti**y bars

I don´t think a copy will become cheaper in the time to come, on the contrary, you can look it as an investment.

Regards
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
No way is it worth the crazy money it goes for on E-bay. I'm a fan of dungeon crawlers and Games Workshop stuff in general but there's no way it's worth the £££ (or $$$) that it tends to go for. It's a fun game but it's not amazing.

Having said that, if GW were to bring out some sort of anniversary edition with the same sort of quality we saw in Dreadfleet and Space Hulk I'd be all over it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Having said that, if GW were to bring out some sort of anniversary edition with the same sort of quality we saw in Dreadfleet and Space Hulk I'd be all over it

It's clearly a matter of personal taste and choice. The fact is: the game is pricey...is it worth it? for some it is, for others it isn't.

Regards
R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God help me, but I'm actually starting to consider paying the current asking price myself. I love dungeon crawlers - probably my favorite genre - and everything I've read about this game sounds amazing.

But the price! I could buy 6 or 7 modern games for what WQ goes for. Surely I would be a fool to shell out that kind of scratch??

And yet it haunts my dreams ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a download of the basic rules and the advanced to see if it is the sort of thing that would appeal before taking the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.