J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to be a teaching Kingdom Builder to a new group tonight and am looking for suggestions for a good first game. Would you recommend going fully random? My only concern is if there is some mismatch between the powers and the goals, such that one or more of the powers don't seem useful at all to accomplish them (ie Jumping Power w/ Merchants, Citizens, and Workers for example.)

Does anyone have recommendations for good combinations of sectors & goal cards to lead to a fun and interesting 'first game'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already a breif discussiona bout this here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/741932/suggestions-for-initi...

I would recommend discarding Lords, Knights, and Farmers if they are drawn randomly because they require more understanding and planning then others and give experienced players a bigger advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're teaching to non-gamers, then eliminate some of the boards and Kingdom Cards that would be confusing to them. Then go fully random with everything else. If it's experienced gamers, just play normal with full random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm teaching non-gamers, I go with easy stuff. For scoring cards, I use ones that give points for placing next to mountains or next to special locations, or the one that gives points for one large area.

For special abilities, most are easy to understand so I don't worry too much about those.

I'm I'm teaching gamers, I just randomize it. Everything is easy to figure out if you're used to these kinds of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd leave out the paddock for the first game. It's the only one that breaks the adjacency rule, and it opens up a lot more options than the other bonus tiles do. The simplest goal cards are Workers, Fishermen and Miners but using all three of those would be a bit dull. Maybe two of those, plus one of Discoverers, Knights and Citizens. Hermits, Lords, Farmers and Merchants are a bit trickier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.