Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played a 4 player game with friends, it was the first time 2 of them had played. One of them foolishly double-moved when he shouldn't have, and he was eliminated early (like site 4 or 5). All of us felt bad for him while he had to sit and watch the rest of the game for the next hour, with nothing else to do. I'm sure he would have like to somehow contribute to the game still even if he could not win. This weekend we're going to play a 4 player game again and I'd rather that this NOT happen.

Has anyone tried some sort of variant where an eliminated player can still play Shadow Cards, Sites, etc? Just because his own fellowship has failed I see no reason that he could not keep trying to hinder the efforts of other fellowships out there. Perhaps let him discard 3 cards per turn instead of one, to get more Shadow cards? Just thinking out loud here...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often let players do just that -- they continue to play shadow cards during the shadow phase. We don't do any extra discards, but since we're not following the rules anyway, you could certainly do that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solution:

Don't play a 4-player game. Play two 2-player games.

Seriously. While there are official multiplayer rules for this game, it really wasn't designed for multiplayer. It plays much better in a 1v1 format. My friends and I used to get together and play regularly, and it didn't take us long to figure out that playing a bunch of 1v1 games was far better than having everyone in on the same game.

If it's the social aspect you're worried about, there's nothing stopping you from all playing at the same table and casually watching/commenting on the game that's happening next to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan mce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the best games i ever played of LOTR were 4 player games.

If a player is wreckless you must warn them of their impending doom!

I have played really unbalanced games where i have felt bad for having a good hand when my opponent was getting a clogged hand.

we have often agreed to just let the game end quickly (place minions on the ring bearer) and then start again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.