Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a silly question, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are.

I have dice, and a dice app for my android phone, but I've never tried a dice tower. What is preferred? Am I just pointlessly obsessing?

I feel like BGG brings out every OCD tendency I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, table space, number of dice...

We usually use a dice tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
What is preferred? Am I just pointlessly obsessing?

I think the appropriate question is: What do YOU prefer? You really shouldn't use a dice tower just because 29.6% of BGG users prefer it.

If you love the physical feel of dice, skip the app. If dice are too noisy, use the app. If the dice are flying around the room, use a tower. If the tower is too big to bring to gaming night, leave it at home.

No need for obsession on this one. Just look at the practicalities along with what brings you (all the players in the game) the most joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i use my dice tower only when rolling multiple sets of chessex dice

keeps them together and i think randomizes the roll much better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb

Little space to roll due to big board or lots of people? Tower or App.

Lots of dice needed or weird non-standard combinations (example: higher-level D&D sessions)? App.

Board gaming in a fairly open area? Traditional dice, always. The tactile sensation and personal involvement of throwing dice are part of the fun for my gaming crowd. That and I suspect it's human nature to simply not trust an invisible randomizer. Witness the complaints about the RNG (random-number generator) in every on-line game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
are there dice apps that let you customize the dice with image facings (ie, dice that have different icons not just numbers/pips)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like a tall beer mug. Drop the dice in and they bounce around a ton. Not to mention...you have a handle to dump them back out and it's tall enough that the dice rarely bounce high enough to escape running that great other die result you had in the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin
United States
Southern Illinois
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually use a dice tray, but I've been wanting to get one of the Chessex Dice Boots really bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could wait until my (patent pending) "Dice Floater" is put into production. In laymens terms it is basically an anti-gravity chamber that gently tumbles and mixes the dice until you hit the "roll" button which gradually introduces gravity into the chamber so that your dice land ever so softly.

Is about the size of a pringles can. Should retail for around $1,300.

Or just use a Pringles can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
You could wait until my (patent pending) "Dice Floater" is put into production. In laymens terms it is basically an anti-gravity chamber that gently tumbles and mixes the dice until you hit the "roll" button which gradually introduces gravity into the chamber so that your dice land ever so softly.

Is about the size of a pringles can. Should retail for around $1,300.

Or just use a Pringles can.

Brilliant!

Anyone tried the Meyer Dice Tube? It looks neat but $60 seems pretty still to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
are there dice apps that let you customize the dice with image facings (ie, dice that have different icons not just numbers/pips)?

I have not personally used that feature, but Dicenomicon (http://www.gandreas.com/iphone/dicenomicon/) can set images for each face along with tons of other customizability.

Their forum has an example of what was possible with the 2.0 release (it's on 3.0 now): http://boards.gandreas.com/viewtopic.php?t=415
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie Keiser
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We have a dog around during our gaming sessions that likes to eat anything that lands on the floor so I usually steal the dice cup out of Stone Age to use.

I was considering making my own cups out of paper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a dice tray too.

You know how to make a simple and effective dice tray that costs you almost nothing and is easy to replace?

You get one of those 12-pack soda fridge packs (the long ones that are as high as they are wide) and cut the end off. Throw dice into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real dice- unless there's a load of unstable pieces on the board & then a dice tray comes in handy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
I know this is a silly question, but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are.

I have dice, and a dice app for my android phone, but I've never tried a dice tower. What is preferred? Am I just pointlessly obsessing?

I feel like BGG brings out every OCD tendency I have.

You forgot one: dice cup. A nice padded dice cup is the best of all possible worlds, IMO; you get a nice random roll every time, you reduce the noise of the roll, and you can either pour them out of the cup or just turn the cup over onto the table. However, you're still using the exact dice the game gives you instead of a computer analog, and a cup is generally more reliable than a dice tower (dice have a tendency to "stick" in a tower if the slope of the baffles isn't quite right for the material used).

If the game doesn't come with a cup (thank you, Stone Age), I have a standard dice cup that can be used. If I didn't happen to bring it, I generally like using the game box lid to contain the dice, or we just drop them on the table after a shake. I generally discourage "casting" the dice freely in any situation besides Craps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROLL THEM BONES!!

'nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.