Hide
10 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scar Card Handouts - 5 player (9 Minor Cities Spoiler!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Belchak
msg tools
In a 5 player game we have found that Scar Cards don't get passed out very often, to remedy this we have put them up for Draft.

With only 1 caveat. They MUST be taken as your first round draft choice.

The only Con that I have seen with this variant is that the 5th player to draft gets to basically circumvent the 1st round (as the 2nd round comes right after for the player)

It seems to work well, people are very hesitant to give up their first round draft choice, and it certainly adds an element of suspense knowing that someone is sitting on a Bio-hazard Scar card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather play fewer games with scars but in which everyone gets one than more games with scars in which some people have them and some people don't.

Now, once you've opened all the packs and you've got some left over and there aren't enough to give everyone one, then give them out somehow so they can all be played, but it seems like you're rushing things unnecessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea of throwing unused Scar cards into the Draft. In my group the 9 cities packet was opened a little late and based on the Scar reference stickers on the board, I'm pretty confident that we wont be getting any more. Which leaves the only Scar cards not used in our group is 3 bio-hazard Scars.

I'm willing to wait until more packets are opened, just to make sure we don't get extra Scar cards of types we all ready have. But when we're ready to want the bio-hazards in the game
Spoiler (click to reveal)
especially to be able to open the bonus German packet
, I've been trying to think of ways to make it fair.

At first I thought maybe when given out randomly, I would throw in two coin cards too. Not sure how balanced that would be though.

But the Idea of Drafting them is great. I like only having them available in the 1st round too. So if some don't get picked, they have to wait for future games.

I'm going to talk to my group about this idea and see what they think. I really would like to see these Scars come onto the board.

3 Missile Packet
And so would the Mutants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff porter
msg tools
mbmb
We thought about offering the scars as a victory option along with the name a continent, place a major city, tear up a card, etc. As it turns out we just had to run one 3 player game in order to place all the scars "naturally", so it didn't come to that, but I think it's an idea worth consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, we have 5 players and 4 Scar cards so likely will not see the last few scar cards otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were considering a scar card as the consolation prize for getting eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah that sounds good. After you've opened all the packs you might find yourself in a situation where there simply aren't enough for everyone, but until then you can just relax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Butler
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't hand them out, I would wait. Unless you have opened all packets already, because there are often scars in other packets. Most (but not all) of the time they come in threes.

I myself like the idea of some scars just never hitting the board. We've opened every packet except the World Capital, but somehow we still have a Low Ammo scar that has never been played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garlyle Wilds
Canada
flag msg tools
Personally what our group simply did was have a rolloff for the spare cards at the start of each game. Highest rollers got first pick of scar cards; if there weren't any left, then you didn't get one. With the caveat, as well, that nobody got to ever see what scar cards were still unplayed (this is... particularly important after one of the packets was opened - none of us have even looked at what will be our final set of scars, barring the Do Not Open packet's contents)

It isn't always advantage to throw down a scar card if there's no direct benefit to you, so not everyone does it right away - which has lead to some scar cards surviving over a couple of games before getting played, despite the fact you'd probably expect them to be played immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no scars in do no open ever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.