Popular Tags: [View All]
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
obsessive curiosity reads

"you must use your action step to explore unless either there are no exploration cards in your room or all exploration cards in your room are face up."

in a recent situation I had an investigator with this trauma, start his turn in an unexplored hallway. would he have to use his action step first, because there is an unexplored card in the room, or could he use a movement step first to leave the room.

I kinda feel like I played it wrong, interpreting the card to mean, "when you use you action step you must explore if...." so I allowed him to leave the room entering a room without an exploration card, thus using his action step to run.

but now I am thinking that the interpretation of "if you can explore, you must use your action step to explore immediately" is how the card is meant to play.

curious of others opinions here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think about it, it does not matter much which way around the player has to do it. Granted, "immediately" is a little more rigid, and grants the player a little less leeway.
But in this case, he could always end his turn in a room with no cards, and then move on. It makes him slower, as he has to double back more often, but other than that, it would not change much.

The only way to ensure that a player really uses his action to explore, if possible, would be to completely change it around to:
"When a player starts his turn in, or moves through, an unexplored room, he has to stop and immediately use his action for searching, if he has not used it before."

...and I now realize that I did not answer the question. Based on my argument above I would say you played it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Dumon wrote:
"When a player starts his turn in, or moves through, an unexplored room, he has to stop and immediately use his action for searching, if he has not used it before."

This is how we played it. The writing was ambiguous, but interpreting it more loosely makes it trivial to play around, and this seems to fit thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yeah, I think that is how I feel about it, more of a, if you can explore you must explore...it's not much of an obsession if you can just casually walk away from it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
And what if there are monsters in his room?
We came across this situation when one player was in the room with two crawling ones, cultist and byakhee. I let him attack monsters, so he wasn't forced to make 4 evade tests, which with his Dex of 5 wouldn't end up very succesfull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
...it's not much of an obsession if you can just casually walk away from it...

That's what I was thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
We came across this situation when one player was in the room with two crawling ones, cultist and byakhee. I let him attack monsters, so he wasn't forced to make 4 evade tests, which with his Dex of 5 wouldn't end up very succesfull.

Then you played wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
fizolof wrote:

Then you played wrong.

Agreed, this is a prime example of the keeper pulling punches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the investigators were screwed anyways, I gave them a bit of chance.
Due to failed checks on cultist's special chanting attack they summoned another two of them, plus constant byakhee spawning and two crawling ones from event. Moreover, failed test gave one of them side effect, which enabled me to set on fire the room leading to test subject (yellow matter scenario). One investigator went insane, the other died and when the second investigator chosen by this player was nearing his death we decided it's not fun to continue (about 4 turns to resolve last event card).
Maybe we've done something wrong, maybe it's just the luck, but investigators didn't stand a chance and they even didn't find test subject and clue 3. Or maybe scenario is designed for more than 2 investigators. I'm a bit disappointed, it was to easy for the keeper to win :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Well, the investigators were screwed anyways, I gave them a bit of chance.
Due to failed checks on cultist's special chanting attack they summoned another two of them, plus constant byakhee spawning and two crawling ones from event. Moreover, failed test gave one of them side effect, which enabled me to set on fire the room leading to test subject (yellow matter scenario). One investigator went insane, the other died and when the second investigator chosen by this player was nearing his death we decided it's not fun to continue (about 4 turns to resolve last event card).
Maybe we've done something wrong, maybe it's just the luck, but investigators didn't stand a chance and they even didn't find test subject and clue 3. Or maybe scenario is designed for more than 2 investigators. I'm a bit disappointed, it was to easy for the keeper to win :/

This is the first 'session report' of Yellow Matter that I've seen, so it would be useful to know what it was that you feel made the scenario so difficult. Could you tell us more about it, please? What do you feel was the root cause of the difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played this scenario without changes from FAQ (another altar in the greenhouse).
Probably mild spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My story choices were: 1-4 A, so investigators (two of them as I mentioned earlier) were instructed to head to the office through some outdoor spaces. They split up - Carolyn Fern went towards the office, Darrel Simmons tried to find something useful in the Hallway and Laboratory. See the map reference e.g. in FAQ.
Meanwhile I used my threat to put corpses in the Ceremony Room (space with altar) and in the Observation Room (space connected to the Holding Cell) and started to spawn and move cultists. I placed one in the Observation Room, and when it made special attack (to attack unaware Carolyn) another one was summoned. With some help from mythos and trauma cards (Panic!) I menage to keep Darrel away from her, trapped with monsters, she died. The place was soon overrun by monsters (spawning Byakhee, event that makes corpses rise as Crawling Ones), Darrel was driven insane by horror checks and mythos cards, he failed lots of checks, dropped his gear, got Obsessive Curiosity, was severely beaten by all the monsters. The other player chose Jenny Barnes with her .45's, but met crawling one in the Office and failed a check against his special attack, thus had to draw a Side Effect card. That enabled me for 2 threat to try a check to set a room on fire, which I passed.
Investigator decided to go bowling instead of fighting monsters and fled to the Back Path to regroup.
Their situation: to get clue 3 they must go through the Office in fire, evade 4+ monsters in the Observation Room to pick up dropped silver key, open the door to the Holding Cell. After revealing the objective (they have to kill specific monster in the Ceremony Room) we've all agreed they have absolutely no chance to fulfill this goal, I could still try to kill one of them with the specific monster, but there will by no point in running and chasing each other in just 4 turns left.

I would say, the bad gameplay was created by very unfortunate dice throws and too many monsters for two investigators. They found some weaponry and powerful spell (Locust), but it didn't help them anyways. New mythos and trauma cards are also extremely dangerous for investigators.

I think this scenario should be played with more than 2 investigators, so even if they were caught in a fight, someone could run behind the monsters and collect the next clue. And the keeper would have to move or split them more instead of "bunkering" them in one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.