Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cheap scotch laminator that I purchased at WalMart. It works pretty well but I don't have any experience using them.

I'm mainly curious about trimming the pages. I really like my stuff to be clean with nice lines.

Should I trim before or after laminating? In the past I've seen laminated pages that separate due to poor bonding. I hope to avoid this.

When trimming is it better to leave a laminate border or cut all the way into the paper?

Should I use standard paper or card stock? I've experimented with both and the lamination "seems" to bond better with standard paper rather than card stock.

Does anyone have any other tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Never laminate your cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trim the paper before laminating,then trim the laminate when cold. Always leave a border of laminate around the paper as the laminate to laminate bond is the strength of the system. most problems occur when this border is missing or too narrow.

Good luck and be prepared to make some mistakes as you learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Andrews
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always trim after laminating [Edit: when cold, not right after]. Flexing the sheet slightly back and forth will help you see if any small bits didn't quite adhere, and running it through a second time will usually fix the issue. I also typically use paper, not because it adheres better but because it's cheaper and the lamination makes it stiff enough that card stock seems redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erhan Cubukcuoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use also paper instead of cardboard. And the machine must be really hot . For guarantee this first I give a blank paper to machine (without lamination film). At the end of lamination also I use a blank paper for cleaning the machine.

And lamination demage some lazer printouts. For this reason I prefer inkjet prints for laminating.

And the quality of your lamination films is most importent than your machine quality. I advise to choose a well known brand.

A last thing, you must never use thicker lamination films then permitted by machine manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Never laminate your cat.

Now you tell me.

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All five (now six) of the cats ask, "Seriously? You need to be told?"

cool

Brother Jim wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Never laminate your cat.

Now you tell me.

9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have the same cheap laminator by Scoth and have had it for about 7 years now. I never pre trim. I cut to the edge I want AFTER laminating. I don't have any problem with separation and I've made cards that I shuffle. I love this thing as I think it does a great job and doesn't need that little bit of laminate left hanging past the edge of your work. Where you would have problems is with moisture. If the laminated item gets wet it will get "between" the laminted sides and that will cause it to separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

I too have a cheap laminator - and it works fine on paper up to about 90g/m². Heavier card is a problem. I trim before laminating and always leave at least 5mm border when I cut off excess plastic.

Most important tip: use quality pouches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fairly basic cheap Scott laminator that has a switch for 3mil vs 5+ mil laminate. Most of the time I print on card stock and laminate first - running everything through twice just to be sure.

I used to leave an edge of laminate around items but figured I would try without for a few projects and decided I prefer that way. I haven't run into an issue with separation yet and if I do I'll just make another.

One tip is to laminate exhaustible game materials like score cards and tracking sheets and use a dry/wet erase marker with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:

One tip is to laminate exhaustible game materials like score cards and tracking sheets and use a dry/wet erase marker with them.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always leave a border (1/8" up to 1/4") on all items I laminate, but they are usually player aids or rules summaries, not things regularly handled like cards.

I would recommend this: buy a cheap corner-punch rounder. They cost around $5 and allow you to have nice rounded corners without using scissors or nail clippers, etc. Otherwise, sometimes the sharp laminated corners can hurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
I always leave a border (1/8" up to 1/4") on all items I laminate, but they are usually player aids or rules summaries, not things regularly handled like cards.

Yeah player aids I do leave a border on that's true, but I've made all kinds of things that get cut right through to the cardstock I use (110lbs.) and never have a problem

Benjamin Maggi wrote:
I would recommend this: buy a cheap corner-punch rounder. They cost around $5 and allow you to have nice rounded corners without using scissors or nail clippers, etc. Otherwise, sometimes the sharp laminated corners can hurt!

...or have a scrapbooking girlfriend that comes equipped with all the punches you could need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.