BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Self-imposed ban on buying more games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a thread of exactly the same name over at eurogamer.net a great video game site that I frequent, so I thought I would bring it on over to the geek and let us all support each other in our efforts not too buy any/so many new games in 2012.

Hands up if the majority of your collection is actually unplayed or you just can't stop yourself from buying more and more and more. whistle

That's me. So, this year I'm pledging not to buy so many or possibly even any new board games. There are maybe 3 or 4 titles that I'd like to get but I really have to question whether I actually need them. My collection is pretty well rounded now and what I have isn't hitting the table enough. A backlog is a backlog and it'll stay like that until the stem of unplayed games is tackled. And never mind the cost...game prices in the UK have risen dramatically in the past couple of years.

So, if you're in the same boat as me, jump in. Let us know what your board game buying resolutions are for 2012 and how you're planning to tackle your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Already made a list---and it doesn't include trading games that I know won't get played.

http://www.bgg.cc/geeklist/85992/punchlist-before-buying-ano...

EDIT: The list is comprised of games that I should reasonably be able to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in collection-rationalization mode for a couple of months now. I've sold a number of games that don't/won't get played, with some more to go.

My wishlist has been holding steady at 85 games - about 10 of which I really really want to buy, but so far I've managed to hold fim.

I may not ever go back to my old ways of buying multiple games every other month, unless I win the lottery of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've got it all wrong... your resolution should be to play more board games this year! If you were to play 3 days per week you could easily get through 100+ games this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course, it's implied that playing more board games is exactly the way to go. I just don't need to buy any more games that will sit there unplayed and gather dust. Rules learning and finding time for gaming really cut down on what's possible. Still, I am going to try to game more this year. Just need to balance it with my other hobbies and interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
If you need room in order to purchase more games, feel free to send any unplayed/played/abused games directly to me.

I will pay shipping and take them off your hands for absolutely nothing!

I will provide this service in any geek's time of need... this you can be sure of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excellent at this ban. I start it every few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games that I know I will play, so I don't have a backlog of unplayed games. That said, I bought way too many games last year. I need to slow down this year if I don't want a divorce (however, a friend of mine said that a divorce fixed his problem with a complaining spouse, to each his own).

Since my collection is bigger than my gaming bookcase, I've been forced to rotate games every month. This seems to be a good solution that lets neglected games get out more often and makes old standbys seem fresh after a month's break.

You could try something like this with only unplayed games being available for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a bunch of games late last year and then with Christmas and some pre-orders coming in soon. I have a lot of unplayed games that I need to work through. So I'll be reducing number I buy till I get more plays in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some success in curbing my buying of new games with a little mental redirection. I'm at my weakest when I see a shiny, awesome looking, seemingly universally lauded board game and I then imagine my game group playing it, having the wonderful time described in the reviews, high-fiving me for my excellent choice.

If I catch myself imagining this, I then make myself imagine me e-mailing the group explaining that there is yet another new game, with another rule set to learn. I imagine the sales campaign I'll have to make and the arm twisting to get it (finally) to the table and the ever-present possibility of a first play not clicking for one of the group, them declaring it a bad game, and the group not playing it ever again.

A reality check of how likely it is that the new game - awesome though it may be - eventually getting to the table and producing an awesome playing experience in my group - makes me think twice before I pull the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I have tried it...doesn`t work...think I just broke my own self-imposed ban. Though, with some help from some friends, seeing they gave me three games for Christmas!! Now my big plan is trying to play as many games as possible this year. Hopefully I get to play at least half of those I already have set on "want to play". Hopefully...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent M
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ban is actually fiancee-imposed; but she's right: I have about a dozen games that haven't been played yet (never mind another 3-4 expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Miller
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm always ordering something, I'm weak willed and easily distracted. I end up with a lot game that at the time I had grand plans of playing but something happened on the way to the gaming table.I have a ton of games that are either too complicated for the family or just not their thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that there aren't supposed to by any more good games coming out. Ever. Love the ones you're with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I enjoy opening up UPS/Fedex packages from OLGS just as much as playing games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the 74 games I own, I have 11 unplayed. If I buy the 4 more that I really really want right now, that will make 15. So I was telling myself I don't need to increase the number of games that I haven't played yet and should wait until I get some of these to the table.

However, I pause here for dramatic effect. Right now my percentage of unplayed games is 6.72 but if I add 4 more games to my collection my percentage of unplayed games will DECREASE to 5.6!

Math is not my strong suit. So if I have made a dunderhead error here, please point it out to me. Otherwise, I'm afraid that order will be going in today!

My whole point in starting this reply was to vow not to buy more games. Where did I go wrong? Hopefully, it's in my math!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main problem for me, especially in 2 player games with my wife, is the rules learning. It really can be a huge hurdle to overcome. Learning new game after new game is pretty tiring. After we played Agricola for the first time she said 'We should have just played a game that we knew the rules too already'. It was not a resounding success but neither was it a disaster. We will likely play it again soon but it is hard to get new games on the table. I think a kind of 'rules fatigue' sets in after a while.

However, I'm aware that one bad thing I do is convince myself that a game is what I want it to be, rather than what it might actually be. It's too easy to overlook flaws in good games and to realise that even if a game is good and universally lauded, that doesn't mean that it should be in my collection and is necessarily a good game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Out of the 74 games I own, I have 11 unplayed. If I buy the 4 more that I really really want right now, that will make 15. So I was telling myself I don't need to increase the number of games that I haven't played yet and should wait until I get some of these to the table.

However, I pause here for dramatic effect. Right now my percentage of unplayed games is 6.72 but if I add 4 more games to my collection my percentage of unplayed games will DECREASE to 5.6!

Math is not my strong suit. So if I have made a dunderhead error here, please point it out to me. Otherwise, I'm afraid that order will be going in today!

My whole point in starting this reply was to vow not to buy more games. Where did I go wrong? Hopefully, it's in my math!

11 games unplayed of a 74 game collection is 11 / 74 x 100 = 14.86%
15 games unplayed of a 78 game collection is 15 / 78 x 100 = 19.23%

Adding unplayed games increases the percentage of unplayed... But I suspect you will still place that order... I would devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently pulled the 30 games that were least likely to be played again from my collection and put them up for trade. I've packaged them separate from my general collection and hope to get them all traded soon (ideally I could trade multiple games for a single game that I really want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I recently pulled the 30 games that were least likely to be played again from my collection and put them up for trade. I've packaged them separate from my general collection and hope to get them all traded soon (ideally I could trade multiple games for a single game that I really want).

That's a good move. It's a difficult psychological step to get rid of stuff, especially fun things like boardgames. I moved into a new house last year and gave away about 25 games to my local charity shop. They weren't bad games but I just couldn't see them getting played often enough to justify the shelf space. I thought "what's the point of having stuff that doesn't get used, someone else might as well enjoy it." It was a bit of a wrench at the time but I don't regret it now. Downsizing the collection is the way to go, to get more enjoyment out of the stuff that you do value, if you can get over the psychological part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
I think the main problem for me, especially in 2 player games with my wife, is the rules learning. It really can be a huge hurdle to overcome. Learning new game after new game is pretty tiring. After we played Agricola for the first time she said 'We should have just played a game that we knew the rules too already'. It was not a resounding success but neither was it a disaster. We will likely play it again soon but it is hard to get new games on the table. I think a kind of 'rules fatigue' sets in after a while.

However, I'm aware that one bad thing I do is convince myself that a game is what I want it to be, rather than what it might actually be. It's too easy to overlook flaws in good games and to realise that even if a game is good and universally lauded, that doesn't mean that it should be in my collection and is necessarily a good game for me.

Getting past the learning curve can be a deal-breaker for me. I have a couple games in which I've read through the rulebook, packed it up, and on the shelf it stayed. I know it may not work for everyone, but here's how I usually learn a game. I set the game up as if I would for 2 players, and I just play both players myself. That way if I'm stumped I can refer to the rulebook without making someone sit and wait. It seems to be easier to get past the learning curve when someone (usually me) has taken the time to meticulously learn the game, rather than two dimwits starting from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:

11 games unplayed of a 74 game collection is 11 / 74 x 100 = 14.86%
15 games unplayed of a 78 game collection is 15 / 78 x 100 = 19.23%

Adding unplayed games increases the percentage of unplayed... But I suspect you will still place that order... I would devil

Ha ha ha! I did it backwards but I knew something was wrong when it didn't make sense! And you're right, I probably will place that order--maybe not today...but it won't be long!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
andyerca25 wrote:
mjrobertson wrote:

Getting past the learning curve can be a deal-breaker for me. I have a couple games in which I've read through the rulebook, packed it up, and on the shelf it stayed. I know it may not work for everyone, but here's how I usually learn a game. I set the game up as if I would for 2 players, and I just play both players myself. That way if I'm stumped I can refer to the rulebook without making someone sit and wait. It seems to be easier to get past the learning curve when someone (usually me) has taken the time to meticulously learn the game, rather than two dimwits starting from scratch.

Oh, absolutely. I'd never get a new game to the table again with my group if we all struggled through the rules together the first time. It's critical, often unappreciated work, furrowing your brow and checking the rulebook again turn after turn, moving pieces around attempting to forget the strategy of each side in an alternating fashion so as to simulate a real game. I'm with you, bro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyerca25 wrote:
mjrobertson wrote:

I always do that too, but you have the problem of actually verbally explaining the game to the other player. This isn't always easy even if you yourself are 100% clear about things. Just like when we played Agricola, after about 20 minutes it was quite clear how to play the game in a technical sense but that didn't help at all with the strategising and building plans etc. So we bumbled around collecting resources and converting them very poorly and ignored almost all of the cards. Perhaps this isn't a really good example as it is a more complex game than average, but if you want to play complex games then it's something that needs to work.

I think that learning games takes time and a bit of goodwill on the part of all involved. I always try to emphasise that the first game of anything is merely for learning and that we shouldn't get too hung up about doing everything correctly and that we won't necessarily enjoy it as much as we will future games. I really want to quit buying games and get at least a few more of my unplayed games on the table this year.

I guess, in part, some of my previous buying splurges have been caused by failing to get (what I think) are good games on to the table. I always think that whatever new purchase I get will be the one to wash away the previous failures and get us into gaming more widely with more titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the common habits of most gamers here is that they constantly buy more games because they it's fun for them to try something new. Ticket to Ride Mars comes out? Better pre-order it!

I don't have as many games as you do, but you are far from the most game-loaded. I do have to say though that sometimes people need to analyze what games they need in terms of the function that they are looking for. Buying then becomes only necessary when the new game surpasses one you have.

So for instance, I tend to hang around lots of people, many of which aren't gamers. That's why I always keep The Resistance ready. It fits a large amount of players, it's portable and it doesn't have the fiddly bits and rules that makes some people roll their eyes. Of course when playing this game, it also makes me NOT play my other large people games like Shadow Hunters.

I think what you need to do is of the games you own, find a few that you wouldn't mind playing many, many times. That's the idea behind not buying games... repetition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.