Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a risk that I might get a very biased answer here, but I suspect if I asked in the general forums they may not be familiar with these Acadamey games.

So this is the question. Have some Christmas money left over, enough to buy one game. The answer is not both or all of them, I have enough unplayed games as it is so the answer can only be one or none.

So which should I buy

1812: The Invasion of Canada

or

Strike of the Eagle

and to put the cat in amongst the pigeons, let's add

Twilight Struggle

and

Napoleon's Triumph

Money enough for one and only one, but which one?

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1812 is a great game to introduce people to wargames. It has more euro-like mechanics and is quick to get into and understand.

Strike of the Eagle is more of a wargamer's wargame. With the exception of the introductory scenario, the game takes awhile to play, and the game can be intimidating to those who aren't used to that kind of game.

1812 works with up to 5 people and can play well with any number 2 to 5. Strike of the Eagle works great with 2 or 4 players. I doesn't work with 5, and although it can work with 3, I personally wouldn't really recommend it for the best experience with the game.

Does that help you decide? I have Strike of the Eagle, and love it, but when I get my hands on 1812 I think it will get a lot more play, simply because my gaming group are not as much into wargames, and also would prefer to play games that can be played in 2 hours or less, which is tricky with Strike of the Eagle (especially with more than 2 players or with anyone who has never played it before.)

I'm possibly also biased towards 1812 because I'm Canadian. :-) Either game is great though - I'd make my decision based on whether I want a large, complex wargame, or one that is easier for non-wargamers to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I couldn't justify buying anything if I had even one unplayed game, but I know I'm in the most minor of the minorities on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel, could you give us more to go on? Are you already a "serious" wargamer? What is the size of the group you play with? How long is "too long" for your taste or your groups taste? What are other games like these that you own? Do you prefer a card driven game? If you provide a few more insights into your preferences as a gamer, or your past experience, that would certainly help me make a recommendation for you. For me personally, I LOVE SotE, and TS is also a personal favorite. I am very intrigued by the 1812: Invasion of Canada game, but have not played it so I cannot speak of it with any authority. SotE is the wargame I have been waiting for. My background is euro into wargame, so this was a great fit for me. It is a wonderful game. Wonderful for you? I'm not sure without more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nigel, could you give us more to go on? Are you already a "serious" wargamer?

Well my 'owned' list is upto to date on BGG so you can see what I already own.

I'm really into military history and usually find myself attracted to the more obscure conflicts. From memory my 'wargame' collection includes

Battlelore
Memoir 44 Base
Menoir 44 Eastern Front
C&C Ancients
C&C Napoleonics
World at War: Blood and Bridges
CC: Europe
CoH: AtB
CoH: SoS
CoH: PoH
Tide of Iron

I'm equally at home playing something light like M44 or heavier stuff like CoH.

Although the detail of something like ASL fasinates me I think I would find the gameplay to deep for my liking.

And I like good quality components. If I've paid £60 ($90) for a game I like to be able to open the box and see something for my money. I know many will correctly argue that gameplay is all that matters, but I do like to see something tangible. For example, most of the games listed are fine, but CC: Europe is borderline and World at War looks poor for the money.

If I were compare two extreemes and explain why I like them, M44 and CoH. M44 has miniatures, is light and quick to play. On the other hand I like CoH because of the wealth of different units, (a PzII is different to a PzIII), the depth of play and the interaction.

Non wargames that I enjoy playing are Battlestar Galactica, Last Night on Earth and Dominion.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Personally, I couldn't justify buying anything if I had even one unplayed game

Yep, common sense should say that I shouldn't buy either.

But I seem to collect more than I play - find it hard to resist when I see a game I fancy.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so in light of what you have shared, here is what I would say. If you like and enjoy Combat Commander, this game is no more complex at all, so you should be good to go with Strike of the Eagle. As far as value for dollar goes, the components of SotE are stunning! The map is HUGE and gorgeous. The blocks and cards are wonderful as well. Very solid and substantial. The counters are all good quality, but not up to the Conflict of Heroes standards. Not bad, mind you, but not as nice as those. The play time is long the further into the game you go, but it plays 2 and 4 very well. I would also be sure that you are OK with the fact that this is an brigade level game, not a squad level game at all, and movement is very simplified like in Memoir 44. This is NOT an ASL type of game, but it is very deep and rich. The multiple use cards are also quite nice in that there is a constant tension about how and when to use them that is usually not obvious and, thus, leads to the "good" type of game agony. It's a wonderful game.

If you like the idea of multi use cards, you would also enjoy Twilight Struggle. This game, though, has the element of damage control in that if you play a card that has an event that hurts you in the game, it happens, even if you really, really don't want it to. This is usually the sticking point for most people. Some can handle this, and some get too upset that they have to "screw themselves" in the course of the game. I myself have a huge problem with this in 1960, but, for some reason, it gives me no trouble in Twilight Struggle.

Hope all this helps. Happy shopping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games Nigel, but my wife and daughter are both Twilight Struggle fanatics!

As for 1812 - The Invasion of Canada or Strike of the Eagle... You are English. There are Brits in 1812. You can talk with a funny British accent and make fun of the Yanks. What more can you ask for! Also, it depends on how big your gaming group is. 1812 plays with up to 5 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A real man doesn't decide between, he COLLECTS THEM ALL! Then trades them amongst his friends.

devil

nheather wrote:
There's a risk that I might get a very biased answer here, but I suspect if I asked in the general forums they may not be familiar with these Acadamey games.

So this is the question. Have some Christmas money left over, enough to buy one game. The answer is not both or all of them, I have enough unplayed games as it is so the answer can only be one or none.

So which should I buy

1812: The Invasion of Canada

or

Strike of the Eagle

and to put the cat in amongst the pigeons, let's add

Twilight Struggle

and

Napoleon's Triumph

Money enough for one and only one, but which one?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL. Doug, you are a better sales person than I am!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
Personally, I couldn't justify buying anything if I had even one unplayed game, but I know I'm in the most minor of the minorities on this site.

Yes you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.