Ishai BD
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I am not trying to offend anyone, I just want to find out what others think. I personally do not enjoy being notified about a lot of space exploration related news as a result of subscribing to the forums for this game. I'd expect news posts to be about new expansions, the game going out of print, a new edition becoming available, the game winning awards, etc.

I think there should be general forums (not part of High Frontier) for this purpose. What do you think?

(Should I get scientific news about evolution if I'm interested in Dominant Species or Bios Megafauna, or news from Puerto Rico, just because of my interest in that game?)

I'm not looking to get into a nasty discussion, just wanted to share my pov and see what others think.

Thanks,
Ishai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I think they fit better in the High Frontier > General forum, but that won't stop our getting posts about them. Currently there's no way to subscribe to only a particular subforum of a game. Whether they're in News or General, we'll still get notifications.

And I do think they would be useful and appropriate in the General forum for High Frontier—for a game about cutting-edge technology, breaking news about that technology is a skip and a jump away from a rules revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
A reasonable question.

Personally I like the space news that pops up here. Being a near-future game based on current science I find the links informative as they increase my understanding of what's happening in the game -- and color-in the blank areas. We often discuss these news items while playing when they pop up, like the Dawn mission that's at Vesta right now.

I'd say this differs from your examples in how timely and germane space news is to High Frontier -- aspects that the game depicts are being discovered, increased and filled-in almost daily.

As someone who subscribes to a bunch of games -- being mostly a firehose of crap I'm not interested in -- I'd just ignore things that don't grab you.

"May all your ones fall during prospecting."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I think they fit better in the High Frontier > General forum, but that won't stop our getting posts about them. Currently there's no way to subscribe to only a particular subforum of a game. Whether they're in News or General, we'll still get notifications.

And I do think they would be useful and appropriate in the General forum for High Frontier—for a game about cutting-edge technology, breaking news about that technology is a skip and a jump away from a rules revision.

I will post them there from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pilnick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe having a single thread with updates so people can subscribe to that or ignore it as desired?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I will post them there from now on.

I would like to chime in and say that I really like hearing about them and appreciate that somebody else is finding the specific news articles that pertain to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can subscribe to High Frontier and then Block the News sub-forum if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Ahh! Clever. I hoped for forum-specific subscriptions, and never thought about blocking forums.

Thanks. (Though in this case, I actually do want to read all these articles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep 'em coming David (and others) they add to ftf game day discussion and generally fire the imagination cool

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
As someone who subscribes to a bunch of games -- being mostly a firehose of crap I'm not interested in...

This describes my subscriptions to a tee. I end up having nearly 500 blocked PBF threads because I get tired of seeing the same ones pop up more than once a day.

anarchy wrote:
You can subscribe to High Frontier and then Block the News sub-forum if you wish.
How? Please illuminate this poor soul who can't figure out how to block subforums. Is there a better way than to go to each individual game's sub-forum and clicking block from there?

Edit: Found one way to block subforums. Happy camper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OPs point: In general, I agree that I'd rather not see off-game-topic stuff in the game's forum, but...

High Frontier seems niche enough (in the sense that one has an account on a site devoted to board games, is subscribed to a game, and said game involves plotting your spacecraft's movement on a board that represents not distances, but energies required to get to different locations in our solar system) that it seems reasonable to me that one's interest in the game may not be strictly limited to the game itself, but news pertaining to the subject matter of the game as well. But obviously, you disagree, and that's fair since we are on Board Game Geek and not Space Geek.

Also, for me, the number of uninteresting posts for High Frontier is way smaller than for just about any other game I subscribe to. I rarely click on the space news posts, but they don't add significantly to the "noise" in my subscriptions. And the ones I do click on, I usually enjoy a great deal.

tldr: I respect the OPs position, but I don't mind off-game-topic posts that relate to High Frontier's subject matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a copy of High Frontier (but it's high on my wishlist!), so my perspective is a little different. I actually like seeing the news bits come by. Some days, I read them closely. Other days, I skip 'em.

I've made this remark before, but I think it bears repeating: The High Frontier version is like a minature version of the wargames forum. People on the wargames forum talk history a lot, because it's a subject that draws a lot of wargamers in and enhances their connection to their games. The High Frontier forum is much the same way, only the subject is space exploration.

As long as the current events stay mostly related to the topic of the game, please keep them coming. They're often interesting, they occasionally contain photographs of striking beauty, and they enhance our connection to our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ishai BD
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback everyone and thanks David for moving the news posts to a blog.

While I understand that High Frontier is indeed a niche game and much more of a simulation than other games, my concern really is/was about allowing people to choose whether they want to receive game related news updates, science (related to the game) news updates or both.

Here's what I think about alternatives proposed and/or discussed so far:

- Blocking the news sub-forum is not something I want to do, since I may miss High Frontier news when there are any.
- Putting everything in a single thread isn't likely to be that great, because if one subscribed to that thread they'd receive notifications for news postings but also for people's comments on these news items.
- A blog or perhaps a GeekList might work best.

This is my opinion only, of course. Others may have different preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.