Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Dozet
United States
Citrus Heights
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure if there's a special place to post this, but here goes.

I've devised a basic combat system that I don't think I'll be using, so if any of you want to use it, go right ahead. The system is not quite like any other I've seen before.

The system is designed for medieval combat only. Once everyone has a ranged weapon, it falls apart.

Every unit has a power. This is the number of dice it contributes in combat. As it stood, infantry-types had a power of 2, cavalry and archers a power of 3, and militia a power of 1.
Players involved (2+) move their units to an appropriate place (battle board, table, whatever). Combat proceeds as follows, with everyone taking each step simultaneously.

1. Set aside any units you wish to retreat from combat.
2. Total your units' powers. Take dice equal to that. Secretly separate the dice into attacking (in your left hand) and defending (in your right).
3. Roll the dice. Place your defending dice between you and your units ("behind" the units).
4. Distribute your attacking dice as you please among the other players, making sure to keep the number on each. By the end of this step, you must cancel all dice put against you. You do this in two ways:
Putting one of your defending die with a value higher than an offending die on top of the offending die.
Putting one of your units (retreating or not) on top of an offending die.
In either case, immediately remove the pair. Units so removed are destroyed. If you run out of defending dice and units (including retreating units), you are out of the combat.
5. You may move surviving retreating units to wherever appropriate. You may add reinforcements from wherever appropriate to combat.
Repeat from step 1.

In order to balance large forces vs small forces, I added a rule allowing two attacking dice to be stacked so that their values added. Such stacks must be stacked before being put against a player. This allows a small force to perform a desperate charge (i.e. roll only attacking dice) and break through the defenses (defending dice) of a much larger force and hit the units.
Ranged units can only roll attacking dice. Alternatively or in addition, only ranged units can roll attacking dice in the first round of combat.

I hope someone can use this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds pretty cool... I like the secretly putting your dice into attacking vs defense piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.