Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Would you be able to spoil some encounter cards and quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are great. It must have been a great effort to type such a lengthy text.

Anyway, the quests are awesome.

Into the pit looks like very hard one, mainly because staging area may get infested during first stage and then all enemies will attack at once.

Seventh level seems to be easy, but combat heavy quest.

Flight from Moria is a little bit complicated, but sounds like fun. Balrog is a beast, I wonder if Balrog's defense and HP are used anywhere? (or are they given to us in case players want to attack him with Dunhere)

Can you tell us some general thoughs about encounter cards? For example, are they capable of destroying players attachments ?

And the most important question: who is the last player? Is it previous first player or someone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal, thanks for posting the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for taking the time to update us! Much appreciated!
I'm very excited about having a very thematic player deck with the Dwarves so the player cards look fun in that regard! I'm a little disappointed that there's no new Leadership ally, we really need some.

On another note, I really disagree with you, Jack, about X = players in the game cards. I really like this feature and felt it really made Hunt for Gollum a huge improvement over the Core set scenarios. It doesn't feel like "lazy" scaling, it seems like logical scaling to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I observed that I think is rather fun and balancing is the cave torch mechanic in the first quest.

You can use its action to make a direct burst of progress on any Dark location (they're nearly all dark), but then you risk adding an enemy to the staging area.

This is fine for when locations are piling up, but you haven't seen much enemy action. It seems like a fun way of evening the board up a bit between those two dangers, and I like the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for taking the time to post all the information! Just ordered this from Coolstuffinc today as soon as it was available.

Some early thoughts on the newly revealed player cards:

Durin's Song: This seems very, very strong. "Until end of round" means you could possibly get a lot of uses out of this, and it's only 1 cost. Very sturdy Leadership card. Dwarf-specific though, so it's utility goes down the fewer Dwarves you have in your deck(s). I'll be curious to see the art for this one.

Ever Onward: Our first ever non-Spirit threat reduction card I think? Seems pricy, though could potentially cancel quite a bit of threat. I think this card will see a lot more utility in solo play than multiplayer, actually, which is unusual. But I can see a use in 2-player situations where one player has much lower threat and both players need to go light on questing for one round. Non-dwarf at least but seems situational at best, might require some serious creativity to get the best use out of it.

Veteran of Nanduhirion: Props for the historical lore reference. One tough dude and even tougher with all the dwarf synergies. Starts with only 2 hitpoints though and there are very few ways to heal allies at this point, so he's quite fragile for a 4-cost. This guy's art better look awesome.

Dwarrowdelf Axe: I like this, +1 attack plus a free damage. Provides it with a lot of flexibility and is straight up better than the Dwarven Axe from the core set, but has to be attached to a Dwarf so not as versatile. Can be attached to allies! Solid tactics card.

Erebor Record Keeper: Dumb name, dumb theme. Probably dumb art too. Still, very useful stats and ability. 1 cost allies with 1 willpower are solid gold early in games as questers. Becomes very powerful for his cost with Dain's buff and his ability can help keep Dain standing. Also combos with Song of Durin.

Boots from Erebor: Don't care for the name, would have preferred "Erebor Boots" if nothing else. I guess they wanted to avoid "Dwarven Boots". The first of what looks like several equipment that can fit onto a Dwarf or Hobbit... seems an odd pair. +1 hitpoint is just plain nice to have, and for 0 cost too. And its not restricted so it can stack with other gear.

EDIT: Erebor record keeper can't be used as a chump blocker, thanks for the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalmonkey wrote:
The trouble is that instead of scaling in a linear fashion with the number of players, the game is literally scaling in an exponential fashion.

ISTM the threat scaling is quadratic, not exponential.

Quote:
[...] a four player game is really just about watching locations build up in the staging area while hoping to god that the spirit player(s) will get their Northern Trackers out before you're all overwhelmed by threat.

In any case, it seems like a very poor design move because it directly discourages group play, and this game is so much fun and creates such a terrific sense of camaraderie that I hate feeling restricted to two players, let alone a solitaire game.

Let's see how it plays out. I've seen consistent complaints that 4-player is just too easy unless you increase the number of cards revealed per turn to 5 or even 6. Maybe this mechanic will make 4-player games more interesting.

You may be right but I'm reminded of all the complaints about Bilbo as a hero when he was spoiled. Then people started playing with him and found him to be quite useful. My suggestion is that we try it first before complaining about how bad it is.

ISTM the biggest overall complaint about this game is that it scales poorly. FFG is clearly trying to fix that problem with this mechanic. I think they are trying to *encourage* 3 and 4 player games by making them more of a challenge and less reliant on the Spirit player getting out their Northern Trackers.

Which reminds me, with 4 players you can still have mixed sphere decks which would allow you to have up to 12 Northern Trackers in the game. That could be over-kill but it might be a good idea to try to have at least 6. IOW, if this mechanic crushes mono-sphere 4-player games then it opens the door for interesting 4-player games with multi-sphere decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
Erebor Record Keeper: Dumb name, dumb theme. Probably dumb art too. Still, very useful stats and ability. 1 cost allies with 1 willpower are solid gold early in games as questers and chump blockers. Becomes very powerful for his cost with Dain's buff and his ability can help keep Dain standing. Also combos with Song of Durin.

The card says:
Erebor Record Keeper wrote:
Erebor Record Keeper cannot attack or defend.
Action: Exhaust Erebor Record Keeper and pay 1 Lore resource to choose and ready a Dwarf character.

The first sentence means he can't be used as a chump blocker. It will be interesting to see how useful he will be when he can't be used as a speed bump or as part of a For Gondor! dog pile. Interesting is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
BitJam wrote:
jackalmonkey wrote:
The trouble is that instead of scaling in a linear fashion with the number of players, the game is literally scaling in an exponential fashion.

ISTM the threat scaling is quadratic, not exponential.

Quote:
[...] a four player game is really just about watching locations build up in the staging area while hoping to god that the spirit player(s) will get their Northern Trackers out before you're all overwhelmed by threat.

In any case, it seems like a very poor design move because it directly discourages group play, and this game is so much fun and creates such a terrific sense of camaraderie that I hate feeling restricted to two players, let alone a solitaire game.

Let's see how it plays out. I've seen consistent complaints that 4-player is just too easy unless you increase the number of cards revealed per turn to 5 or even 6. Maybe this mechanic will make 4-player games more interesting.

You may be right but I'm reminded of all the complaints about Bilbo as a hero when he was spoiled. Then people started playing with him and found him to be quite useful. My suggestion is that we try it first before complaining about how bad it is.

ISTM the biggest overall complaint about this game is that it scales poorly. FFG is clearly trying to fix that problem with this mechanic. I think they are trying to *encourage* 3 and 4 player games by making them more of a challenge and less reliant on the Spirit player getting out their Northern Trackers.

Which reminds me, with 4 players you can still have mixed sphere decks which would allow you to have up to 12 Northern Trackers in the game. That could be over-kill but it might be a good idea to try to have at least 6. IOW, if this mechanic crushes mono-sphere 4-player games then it opens the door for interesting 4-player games with multi-sphere decks.

You know i think is quite easy solve the problem of many trackers or many test of will with tournaments rule decision: Any sphere can be use only once among all players. So if some player play spirit other players cannot use it. Then the game can be much more hard and interesting no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13 player cards in a big extension? I am somewhat disappointed.

Is DL the difficulty level? Then 5 is the maximum? Seems a little low to me...

Btw. how does ffg calculate the DL for an adventure? Is there a an official rule for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
You know i think is quite easy solve the problem of many trackers or many test of will with tournaments rule decision: Any sphere can be use only once among all players. So if some player play spirit other players cannot use it. Then the game can be much more hard and interesting no?

This is an interesting idea. A similar restriction would be to limit the entire team to 3 copies of each non-neutral card. You could even take it a step further and limit each team to 3 copies of every card.

BTW: have you played all the Adventure Packs? Did you find any of them challenging enough for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Twelve4Christ wrote:

Is DL the difficulty level? Then 5 is the maximum? Seems a little low to me...

Difficulty levels for Khazad are 3/5/7. On of the quests labelled as 5 in this thread is clearly 7. Probably flight from Moria. Btw you should not pay too much attention for those numbers, I feel they are a part of this game because less experienced players need some assist, so they know if something is supposed to be hard or easy.

*Bifur
This guy rocks. I know that he has been spoiled previously, but I've been playing with him for some time now (as a proxy). He really helps with the resource management for solo player. It is easy to play Lore heavy deck with just 1 Lore hero. I tried combination of Bifur - Dain - Thalin. Now I see that Durin Song and Erebor Keeper will be VERY strong additions to this deck.

Durin's Song
Great card, especially with Minstrels who can fetch it. I was using song of mocking as the only song in my deck. During Song will be my second golden bullet, so I can fetch it when needed. I'm also thinking about adding more copies of this card because it works with both Minstrels and Erebor Keepers.

Ever Onward
Interesting, it will be possible to quest with noone and prepare for a big fight. I think that it is not as useful in Mirkwood Shadows cycle as in Khazad Dum, but time will tell.

Veteran of Nanduhirion
Really crappy card. Just compare it to Faramir and Norther Tracker who have similar stats but also a great ability. I wonder if we will see any tactic cards in the future that benefit wounded dwarves.

Erebor Record Keeper
One of the best cards from this set. With Dain, this is a 1 cost ally who can quest for 2. And the ability is just great, especially with Dain who can now start blocking effectively.

Boots from Erebor
Pure crap? +1 HP at the cost of losing 1 card from hand sounds like very bad deal. Right now I see only 1 use for this card - in the deck with Bilbo who is rather fragile but who makes you draw a lot of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hidahl
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flight from Moria's difficulty level is actually 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
BitJam wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

This is an interesting idea. A similar restriction would be to limit the entire team to 3 copies of each non-neutral card. You could even take it a step further and limit each team to 3 copies of every card.

BTW: have you played all the Adventure Packs? Did you find any of them challenging enough for you?

I long time already complain about difficult of the game. YEs for beginning is quite challenge but when you start to make a good deck you start to win sometimes to easy. The game privide good challenge for beginning but for experienced players game going to be to easy!!!! Nad nighmare mode suposse to be a good challenge but with Beravur draw you make it much more easy then normal game. I has explain on offical forum FFG 1 combo only possible in nightmare mode where you can choose your starting hand.

But FFG try to make it more and more difficult with cards erratas, new rules and so on. Actually if you look on new encounter cards they are more powerful in my opinion then cards from The First cycle. So is good!!!
But my idea of limited sphere using can maker game much more interesting and make the quests and encounter card more powerful. 1 sphere can be use only Once.
So then you will dont have 8 trackers and 8 test of will to cancel all of when reveal effect and 8 dwarven tomb to get it back form discard pile. +Beravur in my opinion need errata: limit once per turn. Other wise he is to powerful and ake sometimes game to easy and boring.
For example me and my friend already 3 months before make 2 decks which is quite stable can win Massing in Osgiliath. So what you think there is a point to pay other quests really???

I love the game but i wont game provide challenge for all kind of players. NOvice and veterans to.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalmonkey wrote:

Let's assume for the sake of example that you deal nothing but enemies off the deck for just one turn, onto an empty staging area, and one of the enemies is the drummer. With one player, you just added at least +1 threat to the staging area. No big deal. With two players? +4, since you dealt two enemies. Hmm, okay. With three? +9. Yikes. With four? +16! And this is on top of whatever threat those enemies already had. There are locations that function like this too.

With that many players, the solution is not to try and overcome +16 threat, but to deal with it using card effects. The Orc Drummer's ability is only active while it's in the staging area, and it has only 1 HP. So among 4 players, at least one of them should have a way of either engaging it or killing it. In particular, Thalin can deal with it and is an appropriate hero for this quest anyway. (Other possible solutions: Son of Arnor, Beorning Beekeeper.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Bifur...

"Any player may trigger this ability. (Limit once per round.)" Does that mean the triggering player is limited to once per round, or is Bifur limited to receiving once per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Bifur...

"Any player may trigger this ability. (Limit once per round.)" Does that mean the triggering player is limited to once per round, or is Bifur limited to receiving once per round?

I think it means Bifur can only get one resource per round by this effect. The "any player" and "once per round" are two separate sentences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings Deluxe Expansion Khazad-dum spoilers with images are up @CardGameDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
*The Nameless Fear
Enemy
Engage: 50
Threat: X
A: X
D: X
H: 27
Flame. Shadow. Immune to player card effects. The Nameless Fear cannot engage or be engaged. X is the number of victory points in the victory display.

Whew... It's been a while since I've played this game, but I'm kind of getting back into it again with this release. But someone please remind me or clue me in... if it's immune to player card effects and cannot engage or be engaged, how are you supposed to defeat it? And, well, with 27 HP... how the heck could you, anyway? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Whew... It's been a while since I've played this game, but I'm kind of getting back into it again with this release. But someone please remind me or clue me in... if it's immune to player card effects and cannot engage or be engaged, how are you supposed to defeat it? And, well, with 27 HP... how the heck could you, anyway? shake

You're not supposed to defeat it, from what I can tell. You're supposed to run like hell for the exits.

The only way I can think of to possibly try to kill it would be with Dunhere, but would that be considered a "player card effect"? On the one hand, it requires a player card effect to initiate the combat. On the other, the player card text is affecting the combat, so maybe it's not directly affecting the enemy? In any case, I think it's probably unlikely that Dunhere could kill it before something bad happens, either overwhelming enemy attacks or skyrocketing threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question about the Flight from Moria quest... If I understand correctly, you shuffle all of the #2 cards as sort of a draw pile (or are they put in a certain order?), and then depending what you get, you either go through one card and draw another, or try to complete it for the win. Is that right? I guess I'm confused because only two of them offer the win... when it says you can bypass Escape from Darkness, I assume you set it aside and draw another quest (to find the Abandoned Tools), and then can come back to it at any point. Or is Escape from Darkness shuffled back in and you have to hope to draw it again later?

Anyway, it sounds like a particularly interesting (and difficult) scenario. I'll probably be picking this up later this week, but I'm curious about how it works in the meantime. Is there a rules sheet?

EDIT: Nevermind... I glossed right over this part.

Quote:
CREATING THE QUEST DECK:
This scenario uses multiple stage 2 quest cards. When setup instructs players to "Prepare the quest deck," players must shuffle all stage 2 quest cards together randomly, with side 2A face-up, and place them beneath stage 1. These shuffled stage 2 quest cards are considered to be the "quest deck."

Players will progress through stage 2 quest cards until they have won the game; there is no stage 3. Quest cards are not flipped to side B immediately when revealed. Rather, the current quest card is revealed only at the beginning of the staging step of the quest phase. The only exception to this are card effects that reveal and flip a new quest card, such as Hasty Council.

BYPASSING A QUEST CARD:
Players are given the option to bypass some of the quest cards at the end of the combat phase. Bypassing the current quest removes all progress tokens on it, and moves it to the bottom of the quest deck with side 2B face down. Bypassing a quest is optional, and players may choose to stay on each quest card instead of bypassing it.

When a quest is completed, players will either add it to their victory display or win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

You're not supposed to defeat it, from what I can tell. You're supposed to run like hell for the exits.

The only way I can think of to possibly try to kill it would be with Dunhere, but would that be considered a "player card effect"? On the one hand, it requires a player card effect to initiate the combat. On the other, the player card text is affecting the combat, so maybe it's not directly affecting the enemy? In any case, I think it's probably unlikely that Dunhere could kill it before something bad happens, either overwhelming enemy attacks or skyrocketing threat.

I think you're right. I just looked in the rules again, and they do make a distinction, more than once, between "player cards" and "hero cards." So Dunhere's ability should work, as well as Thalin's (for 1 measly damage).

From the rulebook:

"• 226 cards, consisting of:
• 12 Hero Cards
• 120 Player Cards"

"Decks and Card Types
There are three different types of decks in The Lord
of the Rings: The Card Game: the quest deck, the
encounter deck, and the player deck. There are also
hero cards, which do not belong to any deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.