Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Probably a Stupid Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Knall
msg tools
I've been brainstorming for a few days now for an effort to kind of combine of the more casual, non-elimination style of Euro games with the aggressive nature of "Ameritrash," centered around trios of kids starting up their own (competing) newspaper delivery services, sabotaging each others' efforts and attempting to gain control of the whole neighborhood. So far, it looks like it will be for 2-4 players.

Anyway, I'm not ready to shell out for an artist or anything until it's been tested out a bit, but I want to play the game. Pieces aren't an issue, since I can just use pawns from another game, but a board could be a problem, because I can't think of any games with a similar-looking game board.

Do you know where I could get something that's like graph paper, but where each square is about an inch, and that's big enough that I could cut it into a 28x28 square?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick OLeary
United States
Roosevelt
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If its only for testing, I would just draw on a poster board yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Proleary wrote:
If its only for testing, I would just draw on a poster board yourself.

I agree... the dimensions don't have to be perfect if the game doesn't require measuring distances etc.

Just throw together a rough prototype and go to town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Dozet
United States
Citrus Heights
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Not a Stupid Question
Office supply store. Craft store. Hardware store. Walmart. Looks like it's called drafting paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you sure a few days and you are ready for an artist? in my (limited) experience art is last. make sure the idea works. play it, break it, fix it, play it again. you can do all that with paper and pencil art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Knall
msg tools
Oh. I said I'm not ready for an artist. I want to play test it a lot first. I just want to make a temporary board to play it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

I had to "adlib" on the title of the game, but I figured it was probably very close... ¬_¬

I would reccomend printing it out on standard printer paper it would probably need to be printed as A4 tiles) and then using some spray mount glue (spray glue - any craft shop) onto something like thin chipboard, laminate, or very thin mdf - andy hardware/DIY store will know the kind of thin wood you need able to help you out

hope i've helped!

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhhh, you did. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would defiantly go cheap in the beginning. It will probably change so much that you don't want to tie yourself down thinking you have to much invested in this board (layout, cards, whatever) to throw them out.

Neat idea by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

I had to "adlib" on the title of the game, but I figured it was probably very close... ¬_¬

I would reccomend printing it out on standard printer paper it would probably need to be printed as A4 tiles) and then using some spray mount glue (spray glue - any craft shop) onto something like thin chipboard, laminate, or very thin mdf - andy hardware/DIY store will know the kind of thin wood you need able to help you out

hope i've helped!

sam

You are sooooo helpful, Sam.

You could also print it out on full page shipping labels (8½” x 11” 5165/8165 Avery label or 19015 Staples laser/inkjet white shipping label). Then stick them to a cardboard back or a foam grid board that you can also buy at Staples.

Cheers,
That Cowboy Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFifteenthDoctor wrote:

Do you know where I could get something that's like graph paper, but where each square is about an inch, and that's big enough that I could cut it into a 28x28 square?

If you want to go more the WIP route, I'd suggest getting yourself a Chessex battlemat of some sort and just use that. There's sizes out there that would easily accomodate 28x28 grids.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015IUAAG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp...

And if you get those wet erasable markers, you can also adjust and modify different grid sizes and configs on the fly, without having to cut or redraw a new piece of paper each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're still in "alpha testing", I would recommend a scaled-down version first.

Based on what you've described, I would use pushpins as my "newsboy tokens", print out a grid with roughly 1/4 inch squares ... and that should make your 28x28 grid fit on a piece of paper. Tape the paper on top of corkboard, and you've got a portable alpha-prototype.

Oh ... and now that it's the size of a piece of paper, making a square grid is easy:

Open up Microsoft Word
Insert -> Table -> 28 columns, 28 rows
Fine-tune the row/column height to fit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamingpaper.com has 1" squares in mass quantities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

If you're still in "alpha testing", I would recommend a scaled-down version first.

Based on what you've described, I would use pushpins as my "newsboy tokens", print out a grid with roughly 1/4 inch squares ... and that should make your 28x28 grid fit on a piece of paper. Tape the paper on top of corkboard, and you've got a portable alpha-prototype.

Oh ... and now that it's the size of a piece of paper, making a square grid is easy:

Open up Microsoft Word
Insert -> Table -> 28 columns, 28 rows
Fine-tune the row/column height to fit

You could also use Excel to create a spreadsheet where the cells are made into squares and you add borders to the 28 x 28 cells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a stupid question. "When is orange?" is a stupid question.

If you have a printer and an Internet connection, it should be easy enough to find a place online that allows you to make your own graph paper. Set up the sizes the way you like, print it out, maybe cut/tape the pages together. Boom -- prototype board.

Or go to a Hobby Lobby or whatnot, pick yourself up some posterboard, and make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
gedin wrote:
Nice things to say

Cheers,
That Cowboy Guy

Thanks man
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Knall
msg tools
Re: This thread.
Thank you to everyone who's given me advice and help. Tomorrow, I begin testing this thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who's given me advice and help. Tomorrow, I begin testing this thing!

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

http://www.printfreegraphpaper.com/

http://mathbits.com/mathbits/studentresources/graphpaper/gra...

I've used a couple of those, the create PDFs, which you can tile from to get your final size board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.