Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught it to a guy who doesn't play These types of games. He picked it up pretty quickly.

The suprression stuff isn't really that complicated. The greatest difficulty is in learning the modifiers but after a couple scenarios they become second nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
How newbie friendly is this game? It looks really cool, but the supression stuff looks kinda complex to be honest.

You can look at suppression as being nothing more than a combat result-it's what happens when you take damage. The level of suppression corresponds to a lower morale number that on a unit's counter. It's even color-coded to make it easier. It is different than a unit being reduced (flipped over to it's weaker side), a more severe combat result, but at the same time suppression is still color coded on the reduced side and easy to understand.

Quote:
Anyone try this with some fresh blood or are only war-game pros throwing down on this one?

I have not played it against greenhorn wargamers. It might be easy for a new guy since there's no rules concepts from other games they have to "forget" to get the hang of the innovative rules in BoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in some ways its tougher on the old guys. I found myself trying to overthink the rules. It's still a chit based game with plenty of values to understand, but I would say the complexity level is very approachable if one person knows the rules. Even if they dont I think the game is still learnable by a newbie, but remember this mechanic is like no other (that I know of).

I played for the first time last night, and the hardest part for me was "thinking like a standard wargame". Supression mainly changes your groups morale, or willingness to do things. The more hurt they are, the less likely they will be inspired to fight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the rules are brief, if you are new to war games then there will be a bit of a learning curve. While some concepts are new or different for us "veterans", most of the basic war game concepts are here and not too different. Things like combat factors, morale, hexes, movement points, terrain modifiers, line of sight, unit facing, etc.

Then there are a few things (well, at least one thing) that are not explained in detail and rely somewhat on previous gaming experience. The one that comes to mind is artillery "drift.". There is an accuracy number for artillery and if you roll higher than this number, the rounds land somewhere other than your desired target hex. To choose the direction you roll a six sided die (not included, by the way) to determine the direction of the drift, and then the difference between the die roll and the accuracy number is how many hexes in that direction you place the artillery marker. Nearly every other game's rulebook includes a picture showing an example. In BoB it is sort of assumed that everyone knows how this works since it's pretty standard.

So my take is that if this is your first war game you will be introduced to lots of new concepts, even ones that are actually "old." But the concepts are very intuitive once you get the hang of them, and the gameplay here is well worth the initial effort of learning the rules.

Plus, there are plenty of people here on the Geek, including the game designer himself, who will gladly help you along the way.

EDIT: I just looked through the list of games you own. I don't think you'll have any trouble here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.