Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordi Ribas
Spain
Girona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subject says all.
will second printing feature upgraded components?
playersheet and central board all made of cardboard? real orange counters instead of these brownish...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I think there was a huge missed opportunity to make the player sheets like the market sheets in Wealth of Nations, with square cut outs for the cube areas. It is slick when you see WON being played, and I look at Eclipse, and it just cries for that treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the tiles/cards/sheets we got in Star Trek: Fleet Captains, no way I'm complaining about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
jgilmour wrote:
I love this game. I think there was a huge missed opportunity to make the player sheets like the market sheets in Wealth of Nations, with square cut outs for the cube areas. It is slick when you see WON being played, and I look at Eclipse, and it just cries for that treatment.

The cubes do desperately need indentations to fit into. And the resource markers while we're at it. Bumping either of those is disastrous. The influence track usually isn't a big deal if it gets bumped; you can generally figure out which markers were used and which were unused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a whole different perspective. I came to this forum today, expressly to post that I think that Eclipse, from top to bottom, has possibly the best components and exhibits the best production quality of any game I've ever owned.

I just completed unboxing, punching, and sorting the components this morning. I was impressed throughout the whole process. There are a lot of sprues, and I don't think I had more than three pieces provide more than a token resistance when they were punched out. I had no pieces where the front or back remained attached to the sprue and tore. The pieces are thick and have a great feel and appearance. Even the plastic bags included for storage exceeded my expectations. The only thing I could even start to be critical of is the boards you address, but they appear to be more than sufficient. I haven't played WoN, but I was thinking that if these boards had been as sturdy as the boards from Agricola it would have been a great thing. I just don't see that these boards offset the overall wonderful production value of this game in any way.

IMO, FFG has nothing over these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I remember reading about the orange/brownish marker is a production issue, so at least that should be fixed in the 2nd printing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:
I have a whole different perspective. I came to this forum today, expressly to post that I think that Eclipse, from top to bottom, has possibly the best components and exhibits the best production quality of any game I've ever owned.

While their is always room for improvement, this definitely is one of the best first editions I've ever seen. Particularly since this is only their SECOND title ever! Wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already painted the ends of the money tokens red. Took 5 mins here. After that it was very easy to tell which was which.

Yes, the cubes got knocked off a player card twice so far. A real pain for the poor players that have to refigure where they all go back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The money marker definitely needs to be more orange. Thankfully I had some orange cubes and have replaced the light brown markers.

2) Having all the player boards be cardboard would be nice. Having holes exist to place the cubes with a sheet of paper underneath to still mark the income number would be nice as well. However if either of these are done, then costs go up. Perhaps a cheaper solution would be to have one more cardboard punch out but it's a 3 x 15 grid with punch out squared holes. That way you could place this on top of your player board and the cubes would slip into place. You would only need 6 and 6 should be able to fit on one sheet of cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to buy the game again but I would TOTALLY pay for an "Upgrade Expansion" with improved player / tech boards. Maybe that's something they'd consider? Toss in a new race-board or two to sweeten the pot and I can't see how they wouldn't sell like hotcakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
I don't want to buy the game again but I would TOTALLY pay for an "Upgrade Expansion" with improved player / tech boards. Maybe that's something they'd consider? Toss in a new race-board or two to sweeten the pot and I can't see how they wouldn't sell like hotcakes.
I thought so too. I wouldn't want to buy the game again, but getting nices components, well I would get that "Expansion".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they included much better art; player cards that "hold" the markers; and better looking ships, I'd buy it again too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Krause
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better ships, even a little bit smaller, not as big as the Dreadnaught (perhaps with flight stands) and Player Sheets on Cardboard, thats a reason to take a look into my Portemonnaie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.