Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Another Xcom Game Announced and its not a first person shooter, sounds like they are going back to the original game play.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/160171...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! What an awesome looking turn of events!

Really looking forward to seeing what they do with it, now.

This is more like it!

(please don't royally screw it up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks good. It doesn't seem to involve Julian Gollop anywhere (which is a real shame), but the fact that it's in Firaxis' very capable hands is a relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, I am rather fond of the games that Firaxis has put out over the years (even the not so popular remake of Colonization got a huge chunk of play time from me). Added to that their pedigree when it comes to turn based gaming and I feel I have reason to be excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is turn-based, top-down game and it's by Firaxis AND they focus on the PC side of it so that it really feels good on the PC, well then, they'll have my money for certain.

This could be really, really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
wytefang wrote:
If this is turn-based, top-down game and it's by Firaxis AND they focus on the PC side of it so that it really feels good on the PC, well then, they'll have my money for certain.

This could be really, really good.

I think this Xbox and PS3 only. There is another game Xenonauts in the works for the PC that is heavily Xcom inspired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
It's PC, Xbox, & PS3.

Ugh. Not a good sign but I still have some hope since it IS Sid Meier's studio. Sigh.

So sick of playing consolized crapola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booyeah!

This is going to be a great birthday present to myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I might get it for the PS3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
SJBenoist wrote:
It's PC, Xbox, & PS3.

Ugh. Not a good sign but I still have some hope since it IS Sid Meier's studio. Sigh.

So sick of playing consolized crapola.

I hear you, friend. Every time there's a good, succesful PC only property they go a long way to make it fit the console paradigm. And they always screw up. This is especially (and sadly) true with strategy franchises...

Let's hope Firaxis prooves me wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture is XCOM. Not some LA Noire extra vs a giant floating metal eye. Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abreu wrote:

I suspect the experience will end up being better on PC though due to the nature of the game type and everything, and I thought you said you had a good PC, Abreu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got some more info from a PR source I know at 2K games. She verified that it IS indeed a turn-based game AND she was extremely certain the PC version would be made PC-appropriately.

So great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Abreu wrote:

I suspect the experience will end up being better on PC though due to the nature of the game type and everything, and I thought you said you had a good PC, Abreu?

I'd say there are merits in both versions. Any game with unit selection can benefit greatly from mouse controls, but I imagine that the turn-based style of play could lend itself to some rather enjoyable armchair quarterbacking with some friends. With the way most people set things up in their homes this would likely be more practical on a console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
wytefang wrote:
Abreu wrote:

I'd say there are merits in both versions. Any game with unit selection can benefit greatly from mouse controls, but I imagine that the turn-based style of play could lend itself to some rather enjoyable armchair quarterbacking with some friends. With the way most people set things up in their homes this would likely be more practical on a console.

Armchair QBing, certainly. But since controlling the units would be integral to gameplay, I should think, I can't imagine trying to do it using a gamepad. That being said, if ANYONE can do it, I suspect Firaxis could, considering that they had such good success making Civ Revloution work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Abreu wrote:

I have an aceptable PC. I can play Shogun 2 in its lower resolution.

My issue is more due to the "required connections" for the new PC games nowadays.

Steam account I wont mind, but stuff like Windows Live and so forth is my problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abreu wrote:
My issue is more due to the "required connections" for the new PC games nowadays.

Steam account I wont mind, but stuff like Windows Live and so forth is my problem.

Chances are extremely high that this will be a Steamworks game. Civilization V was a Steamworks game, and so were most of 2K's other PC releases of the last couple of years (e.g. Borderlands, Mafia II, Duke Nukem Forever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Abreu wrote:

Chances are extremely high that this will be a Steamworks game. Civilization V was a Steamworks game, and so were most of 2K's other PC releases of the last couple of years (e.g. Borderlands, Mafia II, Duke Nukem Forever).

Cool, then when my connection is down I wont play it right?
Sorry but I find that very annoying.

But that is another discussion althogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abreu wrote:

I agree that that is more than a little frustrating.

What it means in this case it that you need to be online to validate in Steam when you install it, even if you have a physical retail copy. The game will however be playable offline after that, though with some minor caveats. Achievements earned offline don't always properly update on the Steam servers once you are back online. If you don't have a connection to the servers when you start Steam (or start the game directly from the executable) it may take a little while to offer you the offline mode. It does happen to some people on occasion that offline mode doesn't kick in properly at all, but this is becoming an extremely rare problem these days, as Valve are keenly aware that it reflects very poorly on them when it happens and numerous updates have addressed this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Abreu wrote:

I agree that that is more than a little frustrating.

What it means in this case it that you need to be online to validate in Steam when you install it, even if you have a physical retail copy. The game will however be playable offline after that, though with some minor caveats. Achievements earned offline don't always properly update on the Steam servers once you are back online. If you don't have a connection to the servers when you start Steam (or start the game directly from the executable) it may take a little while to offer you the offline mode. It does happen to some people on occasion that offline mode doesn't kick in properly at all, but this is becoming an extremely rare problem these days, as Valve are keenly aware that it reflects very poorly on them when it happens and numerous updates have addressed this issue.

Which brings to another discussion, and my video gaming existential question:
Why should I be dependent of the register/log in/connect/whatever after instaling it if I have the DVD?

At least on the PS3 I wont need to bother with that.

And if you dont mind I will quote and cross post this on another thread, since we are turning away from the theme.

What matters is that X-Com looks like its coming back thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Direct link to the video interview.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/06/wh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/09/fi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Looks like the map is hex-based. I'm really hoping those human models are rough drafts, though.

I like the base cut-away view:

Based on what I've seen so far, this game is an AUTO-BUY (the first one for me since MoO3 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Based on what I've seen so far, this game is an AUTO-BUY (the first one for me since MoO3 )

That's a long time between "auto-buy" games. I admire your restraint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't mess this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.