Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I may get a more favorable view on WotR over here, but I also suspect lots of you have played both. I have one more "big game" I can add to my birthday purchase and I am not sure which of these to pick up.

I kind of like the idea of WotR because I have only dabbled in the books so I am not as intrigued with Quest because I feel that I don't really know this subject matter too terribly well, and the familiarity with what I do know intrigues me. Quest, however, intrigues me because it has no dice and that seems fresh in this genre of a game.

The lack of any video on WotR kind of hurts my decision making capability, so what do you think? Also, I scrolled through the forums and didn't see a comparison, but if there is one, feel free to link me there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Video of WoTR? A crime. Someone fix it!

Factors to consider: WoTR is a 2-player game. It claims more, but not really.

I've heard that MEQ plays best with 3. A lesser-known podcaster I respect really likes MEQ but is emphatic about playing it only with 3.

So, if you are looking for a game that accomodates 4+ players then neither of these is you best choice. However, if your most-often group size is 2 or 3 then my note may help.

WoTR is a masterpiece of game design in the following way: the integration of the theme into the game is second to none. If you want to "play the story" of the LoTR books then this is you game.

Edit: Not to derail the either/or nature of your post but if you want a game that plays 4+ well and is in the same complexity, production quality and time-to-play range choose Conquest of the Empire. Using a variant, it plays 2-player very well. Side benefit: They printed waaay too many copies and it can be had for $20-25 which is an amazing price for a boatload-o-bits coffin-box visual crowd pleaser like it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your last sentence, paired with the favorable BGG rating, probably is enough to push me on this one, but the 2 player aspect scares me a bit. Does anyone have fun with 3 or 4 or is it unbalanced or something? What is wrong with the multiplayer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
war of the ring.

ive played both and i was fairly underwhelmed by middle-earth quest.

i found middle-earth quest to be a little too much cleverness and mechanics and less tension and fun. so the balancing mechanics are interesting, and that should lead to interesting choices, but i did not find them to be terribly fun choices.

the character deck system is interesting, but it turns out i dont like combat with cards (as in starcraft, warrior knights, runewars, and dungeon quest). gimme dices. many dices.

the style of putting one player vs. all the others, and the way FFG tend to create decisions and tension dont make the game terribly fun to me. in this game, or descent, or mansions of madness even.

i only played MEQ twice, but i was not really interested in playing it again. WOTR sucked me in immediately.

edit: as for the multiplayer, its just not really at its best as a 3 or 4 player game. ive heard that the multiplayer rules add additional tension b/c two 'bad' factions have competing interests and dont always work together. i have played WOTR with 4 players, but really just as partners. two people play each side, and discuss what to do together. its still fun, but takes a lot longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Middle Earth Quest quite a few times and just recently picked up WOTR and played my first game yesterday and the biggest thing for me in comparing the two games is how well the mechanics of the game convey the theme. Hands down, WOTR does this so much better the MEQ.

MEQ is a good game and has a lot of cool gameplay mechanics but it could leave you with the feeling that the whole theme of LOTR is just pasted on. For example in MEQ you will have characters moving across the entire board from the Grey Havens to Gondor in a single turn and then back again next turn. That just doesn't sit right with me. If generic hero X can move that quickly why couldn't the fellowship hire that guy to dunk the ring?

From my single game of WOTR (so take it for what it's worth) the mechanics of game seem incredibly tied to the LOTR theme. Here are a few examples, the Sauron player wants Nazgul chasing the ringbearers so it becomes easier to catch them. The Sauron player has near limitless numbers of forces at his disposal yet the free peoples are militarily challenged both at the start of the game and in their ability to replenish losses.

Really what WOTR does is allow you to replay the last 5 books of the Lord Of The Rings but in whatever way you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoSEVEN wrote:
Does anyone have fun with 3 or 4 or is it unbalanced or something? What is wrong with the multiplayer?

WOTR multiplayer is sort of like how you could play chess multiplayer with one player controlling the movement of pawns, the Queen and one Knight and the other player controlling the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, War of the Ring is an awesome two player game that really captures the feel of Middle-Earth and fighting to stem the tide of darkness.

Middle Earth Quest is and one vs. many game where, unless you're the Sauron player, you can bake a cake while waiting for your turn to happen again.

So: War of the Ring, IMO. For context, MEQ is one of the games on my list to "never play again unless someone has a gun to my head". I move furniture around to be able to play WoTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Filet mignon or hamburger mince? War Of The Ring all the way - the designers and development team bought the basic themes of the book to life. It's a brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, next question:

Does anyone know of any store carrying the game in the 50-60 dollar range that still has it in stock? I know I can pay more at some places, but the price of game+shipping will cause wife aggro. And I did try to contact some of the people in marketplace so not ruling that out.

I know I can wait for the second edition, 2nd print run to show up, but I'm anxious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesurplus has it in stock for $58
http://www.gamesurplus.com/product_info.php?%20products_id=3...

tacoSEVEN wrote:
OK, next question:

Does anyone know of any store carrying the game in the 50-60 dollar range that still has it in stock? I know I can pay more at some places, but the price of game+shipping will cause wife aggro. And I did try to contact some of the people in marketplace so not ruling that out.

I know I can wait for the second edition, 2nd print run to show up, but I'm anxious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What mechanics are you looking for?

WotR: Eurogamer-defined wargame of Ameritrash complexity.

MEQ: Euro-resource management "gamemaster" vs. Adventure boardgaming party Ameritrash with some bluffing for good measure.

Personally, I prefer MEQ because I like similar games. I noticed you like Axis and Allies and Smallworld, so WotR might be a better match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
What mechanics are you looking for?

WotR: Eurogamer-defined wargame of Ameritrash complexity.

MEQ: Euro-resource management "gamemaster" vs. Adventure boardgaming party Ameritrash with some bluffing for good measure.

Personally, I prefer MEQ because I like similar games. I noticed you like Axis and Allies and Smallworld, so WotR might be a better match.
Yeah, I can't stand A&A anymore, but I love games that feel epic and I actually like Ameritrash from time to time(more Eurogamer myself). BUT, what I am looking for here is a BIG feel and lots of theme. I don't rp or anything, but it would be nice to get lost in an rpg feel for a few hours.

I have plenty of Euros, so basically just looking for something different I guess. I guess 2-few games are good too so that fits the bill for both, but I think WotR is probably better for me with less downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Mage Knight instead of Middle Earth Quest if you can find a copy. Otherwise, get War of the Ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTH!

Really!
I've heard so much about War of the Ring (First Edition) and how this game is awesome and such, but never had a chance to get it... untill now!
I had a Portuguese version but the translation was so horrend that I had to trade it! gulp

As for Middle-Earth Quest, it's one of the best FFG games, IMO!
MEQ is one hell of a game, very complete, with so much to do. It's more fun to play as a hero, but the Sauron player can really play with bluff and territory-control management.

I can't tell you how much I love MEQ! The only drawback is its time, one game can last 4 hours. For me it's alright since I love deep and intriguing games.

And it has one of the best mechanisms I've seen in a game, the Heroes actions management!

If you play it with 2P, don't use the rules for the 2P variant but give the Hero side 2 Heroes instead. It would be much more fun. And when you'd master the rules of the game, give the other player 3 Heroes and you'll have a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games, but War of the Ring is bar none in a class of its own. I own both, but if you held a gun to my head I'd chunk MEQ long before I got rid of War of the Ring. If I sell off War of the Ring, it means I'm done boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
They're completely different types of game but War of the Ring kicks Middle Earth Quest's ass.

War of the Ring is the best board game re-imagining of a book that I've ever played. It's also one of the best board games I've ever played full stop. If you want to 'play the book' this is the one to go for. It's a two player game but I find that it works well as a team game too.

With Middle Earth Quest, whilst there's nothing particularly bad about it,there's also nothing particularly great about it either. It's mediocre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not to derail the either/or nature of your post but if you want a game that plays 4+ well and is in the same complexity, production quality and time-to-play range choose Conquest of the Empire. Using a variant, it plays 2-player very well. Side benefit: They printed waaay too many copies and it can be had for $20-25 which is an amazing price for a boatload-o-bits coffin-box visual crowd pleaser like it is.

Apologies, but I have a dissenting opinion: I have* "Conquest of the Empire" and very much dislike it. My group tried it, we got most of the way through it, and there was a collective "let's quit this and play something else."

But I enjoy both WotR and MEQ. WotR is, I think, easier rules-wise, and I enjoy it more. (And I've actually had fun playing WotR with four players. It's a good way to introduce this game to new players.)

* - "had" is actually a better word--I poured the army figures into the kids toy box for them to play with (with the exception of a dozen boats, which I use with History of the World), I bagged the coins for use as money in other games, and I added the mapboard to my bookbinding supply stash for use as cover boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've toyed with the idea of using WOTR components for a multi-player wargame, minus the Ringbearer's quest. This way it could accomodate up to 8 players, with each fighting for his own interests.
Actually the idea is to combine it with Mighty Empires, but you could just assume the settlements are as they're drawn on the WOTR board. Might need to mark each region for terrain type, but don't want to permanantly deface it..

Might do until Ares gets the licence for a Game of Thrones miniatures wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.